“I felt like a princess sleeping in a tower!”

Chateau de Colombieres
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“I felt like a princess sleeping in a tower!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My review can only reiterate all the wonderful comments of the previous reviews! I visited here with my brother and two of my teenage sons for two nights as we explored Normandy and I think it is telling that this was my brother's fourth visit to Monsieur Charles and his father! The chateaux and family are magical. My sons requested hot chocolate with breakfast and were rewarded with both a steaming pot of hot chocolate and another of milk so that they could create their own blend. You should have seen Monsieur Charles' eyes pop when I poured some of that enticing chocolate into my coffee -- mon dieu!! When you depart, your belly full of homemade preserves and croissant from breakfast, you will promise yourself that you will find a way to return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank A K

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
florida
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at the chateau only for one night but it was wonderful! My 15 year old son and 18 year old daughter and me (mom) were there in middle to later June 2013. The area is very peaceful, green, and quiet. We stayed there after a full day tour of the DDay beaches and sites.
Our breakfast was delicious. They served us the best croissants that we tried during our two weeks in France.
The hosts, Charles and his father were very interested in making sure we had a nice stay. Charles went above and beyond duty when he drove us into town so we could have dinner and then picked us up for the return to the Chateau since I chickened out about renting a car and we had no transportation. Very kind! Our weather was not great, we will have to come back perhaps a little later in the summer next time to experience this great place in the sun!! I highly recommend staying here if you can get in! Loved it!

Room Tip: we stayed in the room at the top of the staircase. Large, and nice modern bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Last year my mom and I stayed here for two days for my 16th birthday. Monsieur Maupeou was a generous host and an even better tour guide. The grounds are beautiful, especially from the tower where we stayed. We went during a medieval renaissance festival where my peu de francais speaking skills were tested vigorously. I highly recommend a stay at Chateau de Colombieres to anyone who seeks to indulge themselves in rich French history, no matter the age!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you want to visit the sites of the landings in Normandy and also see the Bayeux tapestry,then you are probably interested in history. This Chateau is the place to stay if you can afford it. The prices are reasonable given that you are treated like a house guest not a paying customer. The tower room,as others have commented is large and like the rest of the house steeped in history. You need a car to get here but once you arrive you may be tempted to forget the rest of the itinerary.

Stayed June 2013
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This chateau is truly breath taking. it is located very close to Omaha Beach. The chateau is a national historical landmark. The rooms are exceedingly spacious. Our room was in the tower and included not only a bedroom in the round tower, but a very large sitting room with kitchen and full bath. The room is furnished with antiques, the bed is very comfortable. Our room was actually large enough to accomodate a family of 4 or 5. Both a plus and a minus was the 14th century elm spiral staircase we had to climb to get to our room. There are 2 things that make this hotel stand out: the hospitality of the host and the private WWII museum. Monsieur De Maupeou is charming, gracious and very knowledgable about the history of the hotel. Imagine being greeted by your host with a very good bottle of wine, and being given a private tour of the castle where you are spending your vacation. He also recommended some very reasonably priced local restaurants. we could have spent hours just talking with him. The private WWII museum is amazing to say the least. The Housekeeper, Mireille, provided a delightful breakfast in the enormous dining room complete with oil paintings of an ancestress and Aubusson rug. The many ways Charles and Mireille made our vacation more special are too numerous to mention. For example, when they found out which type of Brie we liked, they made sure it was available every morning. I strongly recommend this chateau. Customer service at its best.

Room Tip: remember this is a medieval chateau: there are no elevators!
1 Thank Louise707
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was my second visit to Colombieres. The last visit was with my daughter and it was magical to say the least. To return and to be equally impressed is a feat of true charm. Our host Charles de Mapeou was charming, witty and helpful in the extreme. We were treated like honoured guests not as tourists. On our arrival, to my horror I realised that I had booked the wrong dates, but notwithstanding turning up unannounced, we were welcomed and shown to our magnificent suite, whereupon a welcoming bottle of champagne was opened and we chatted like old friends. M. Charles recommended a wonderful restaurant for dinner and we spent two glorious days safe and warm in our tower room. We will return again to enjoy the splendor and charm of this remarkable chateau again next year. If you have an interest in WWII history ask about M.Charles's fascinating collection regarding the Chateau's role in the liberation of Normandy.

Room Tip: We choose the tower suite as the rooms are large, charming and look out over the moat. The bathroom...
1 Thank Bimme
israel
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is indeed a med-evil chateau where you cn experience the life of that times. The hosts, Charles and his lovely father did everything they could to make us happy.
The chateau is clean and well maintained and the rooms are very comfortable and spacious.
There are several historic events associated with this chateau and you should ask Charles to show you his private museum for the events that are related to the chateau mainly right after D-day.

Room Tip: Ask to see the private museum.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colombieres
Chateau La Cheneviere
#1 of 1 in Colleville-sur-Mer
Villa Lara Hotel
Villa Lara Hotel
#1 of 21 in Bayeux

Been to Chateau de Colombieres? Share your experiences!