I've just got back from a week in U Paesolu, Corsica and can honestly say we had a fantastic holiday.
Had a few hic-hups on the first day; we had a 'mini-villa' which we found to be basic and not exactly what we had been expecting (2* english standard) there was no air-con, so the first night we stormed up to reception about 2am having not been able to get to sleep, the staff there are so so friendly and honestly cannot do enough for you, so managed to find us a huge fan that they let us keep for the week so we could sleep comfortably! All reception staff could speak english, 1 or 2 fluently.
Another mistake on the first day was to go to the wrong end of the beach. Reception tells you that you can get to the beach either by road or through the U Paesolu site, do not go through the site!!! That end of the beach is dirty, crowded by locals making you feel most unwelcome and generally not very pleasant. We had come to Corsica to find silky sands and turqouise waters and got a shock. Luckily we went exploring the next day and found the other end which is a beautiful, quite small beach around the corner with beautiful shallow waters streching far out into the ocean. We went in the middle of July so it was always busy but that didn't curb its beauty. You get to this beach by walking right out of reception down the road and into Pinarello, walk past the bars and restaurants to the car-park at the end and you get to the best part of the beach.
Make sure you go snorkelling the water is too fabulous to miss!
There were many lively, busy restaurants along the beach front where we enjoyed many fab evenings. Staff were friendly and could speak english to help us with the menus, always busy and had a lovely atmosphere. Quite pricey but you could get a pizza or pasta dish for about 10 euros if you're on a budget (I recommend the St. Pierre dish with carot and ginger sauce about 20 euros). The cocktail bar is great fun getting busy around 11pm when the locals get off work, great music, great cocktails, a great way to end the night after a lovely meal.
I wouldn't recommend eating in the restaurant at U Paesolu as it was always dead and very pricey for quite basic meals, although the risotto was nice! It is a very short walk into the little town of Pinarello, perhaps ten minutes, but it goes quick as you walk past the mountains and up towards a spectacular view of the harbour.
There is also a little Pizzeria on the way to Pinarello where we had a good evening as there was live music playing one night.
The little shop on the way to the beach and restaurants kept us going, again quite expensive but sold the necessities, otherwise there is a shuttle bus to Sainte Lucie at 9.30am on monday mornings which takes you to a Spar supermarket.
There isn't much to do in Pinarello during the day except sunbathe, which is fine considering how lush the beach is! However would definitely recommend the excursions, we went on one to Bonafacio which was a great day out in the middle of the week that gave us a break from sunbathing, we had lunch in the gorgeous harbour looking out over the huge boats! Then we had a boat trip around the coves, Bonafacio is quite spectacular. We also did the excursion to Porto Vechio on friday night which was again, a fabulous evening out. Both excursions allowed us to see the island without a car, however there are so many gorgeous beaches nearby that you need a car to get to so would recommend it.
Over-all we had a fabulous holiday, the place is perfect for sunbathing and enjoying long warm evenings having fun and relaxing, if we went back I think we would perhaps stay in 'Le Pinarello' down in Pinarello, U Paesolu accomodation was not great but the cheapest we could find (we were on a bit of a budget being students). Corsica itself is beautiful and is a gem unfound by British tourists, there were very few when we were there, I would recommend Pinarello to anyone wanting a lovely, enjoyable holiday.
PS. Make sure you take mosquito repellent, we got eaten alive the first night!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Residence U PAESOLU is situated on the oriental coast of Corsica, at approximately 18 Km at the north of PORTO VECCHIO, at PINARELLO (or PINAREDDU), a small typical marine village, next to a beautifull and famous sand beach. SAINTE LUCIE DE PORTO VECCHIO, is at 3 Km and FIGARI's airport at 30 Km, from the hotel. For all these reasons, this place, which spreads out on 13 hectares, is a privileged holiday resort. The exceptional choice of rentals (hotel, studios, mini villas, villas grand standing with private swimming pool, haut standing with sauna, warmed swimming pool and jacuzzi), with restaurant, caterer service, tennis, make this complex the place to be for your holidays. All rentals are air-conditioned and equiped with free WiFi. The top of the property offers an exceptionnal sea view on the gulf of Pinarello, and the domain is really quiet and pleasant. U PAESOLU will offer you services of a Professional, to listen to you, for good holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your U Paesolu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence u Paesolu Hotel
- U Paesolu Sainte Lucie De Porto Vecchio, Corsica, France