“Fairy book setting”

Connemara and Galway City Day Trip from Dublin
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Kylemore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Set in a dramatic landscape, Kylemore is an ideal destination for a day out. From it’s beginnings as a romantic gift in the 1860s to becoming home to the Benedictine Nuns in 1920, Kylemore is steeped in history and tales of tragedy, romance, engineering initiatives, model farms, royal visits, spirituality and education. Experience the Victorian atmosphere of the restored rooms of the abbey and gothic church. Explore the magical Victorian Walled Garden, nature trails and woodland walks.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Tempe, AZ
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Fairy book setting”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My hubby & I were stunned to arrive and see the Abbey looking exactly like the photos - no photoshop tweaking necessary. It's a gorgeous home in a spectacular setting. The mirror lake image & lily pads add to the surreal feeling we had entering the place. Our adult son accompanied us & wasn't so much affected by the setting as he was by the only slightly controlled wildness of the flora surrounding the house, church & mausoleum. Huge trees & mini waterfalls added to the tranquility achieved by just walking the grounds. The church was designed to appeal to females & was very carefully & delicately put together. The restaurants on location were better than expected considering the remote location & the gift shop was a mad house of tour bus groupies getting those priceless souvenirs, but that didn't stop one employee from chasing me down just to tell me the ties on my jacket were trailing behind me & she was concerned for my safety. It's a lovely place to spend an afternoon & affords those who wish the opportunity to picnic as well.

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dublin
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Stunning setting for enjoyable treck”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Really enjoyed this amazing place, full of history with lots to see. The gardens were at their best on the lovely sunney day, so peaceful and well worth a visit. Enjoyed the story behind the building of the abbey romantic and sad at the same time. I'm sure the students loved their days spent studying in such a lovely setting.
We had lovely afternnon tea in the cafe.

Drogheda, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not what I had hoped for”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had a great picture in my head of what I expected to see. When I left I had seen none of it. Not a lot to see in the house, gothic church a bit of a non-event and the crypt thing was a waste of a walk. Coffee shop was very expensive and the entrance fee of €34.00 was very steep. Disappointed really

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The ony way to realy remeber a good day”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

we went to the abbey during an irish minnie heat wave ( lucky us ,,, beleive me ) im from wales north wales and have lived in ireland for 18 years know and god i dont understand how ive not heard of the abbey before. well between love story and churchs and boarding school , the sisters of the abbey and staff have but togeteher a experience to remember , thank you and your most helpful and graceful staff . only small niggle , in a time of little money in ireland the price of 36.00 for a family ticket was a little steep. This was also noticed by a couple from canada who mentioned my wife and children ( irish born and speakers) were the only vistors she had meet in any attraction so fare on her vacation, pity i mean the irish people are one of a kind i know i married one lol. but once again thank you for one of the most important memories of my life regards a true friend and fan.

globeseeker007
633 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,141 helpful votes
“Looks like a location out of an Edgar Allan Poe story”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This structure has somewhat of a Gothic appearance to it. It's somewhat dark and forbidding especially on a cold rainy day. We visited this place while on a tour of Ireland and enjoyed our visit here. The place has quite a history and this is outlined both in the brochures and inside the structure itself. There are several rooms with furniture open for viewing. There's a Gothic church just a short walk from the Abbey and the gardens are beautiful. There's a cafe, tea house, and gift shop on the premises.