“Superb Hotel, good facilities, near little beach, in an unusual town”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Samaina Inn Hotel

Samaina Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Karlovasi
GreenLeadersGold level
horsham
“Superb Hotel, good facilities, near little beach, in an unusual town”
Reviewed September 29, 2006

We stayed at the Semaina inn for 1 week, 20-27th sept 06 and had a great stay. The room was a little cramped (coz it had a third bed in it) but it was clean, and simply furnished but had more than everything we needed. It had a decent tv, fridge, good mirrors and a fab bathroom. Our beds were fine n quite comfy, and we had maid service each day with towels n linen etc...

I liked the breakfasts, and there was more than enough of everything. The staff all were lovely and extremely helpful.

We had both sea view and a pool view which was lovely, and we had a lovely and very private balcony. All these things I asked for at the point of booking, and i was given everything i asked for - including a non smokers room. The key is to ask, then the hotel knows your preference.

Karlovassi itself is an odd and industrial town and doesnt boast many eateries appart from the lovely little port area, but it made a good base for us for the week. You must have a car. From the hotel, we drove 30 mins to Psili Ammos (west) beach a few times to sunbathe, which was a lovely beach with a little taverna (the Paris taverna) which did splendid food..

• Liked — everything we needed was there
  • Disliked — could do with some newer furniture in the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for what you want at point of booking, a sea/pool view is the best
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank lizziegoddess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Mercer Island
Reviewed September 4, 2006

First off, you don't have alot of choices in Karlovasi for hotels. The appearance on the front of the hotel was nice and the pool area. I went single with my 14 year old son and my 12 year old daughter. To my surprise they had us in 2 separate rooms. The rooms were very small and the view on the side of the hotel, was awful. At first our rooms were far apart and I was able to get us closer. I did not like the idea that we were in two separate rooms. It seem that there were larger rooms. If I would of known I would of asked for one large room, even if it was a "suite". I would next time also request to be on the side of the pool, not the side or back of the hotel. The rooms smelled like cigarette smoke. Being a non smoker, we all hated the smell in the rooms. The food was tasty where breakfast and dinner was included. The receptionist people were very nice and helpful.

• Liked — The pool and the food service.
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure your rooms is large enough and your room in overlooking the pool or sea.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank deconsta
Athens
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Samaina Inn for 3 nights. First, let me say that I live in Greece, and when I called about 1 month before the trip to enquire about a reservation, the rate they quoted me was 90 Euro per night, with breakfast. When I searched "lastminute.com", I got a rate of 52 Euros per night, for the same room! I guess it's better to book a local hotel via the UK...

The hotel is located in Karlovasi, where my girfriend's family is from. She told me tha,t last time she checked, this was a really nice Hotel. This was 6 years ago though...

Upon arrival we were given room 320, and were told that to take the stairs in the back, unless the elevator was working... ??? I am glad to say it was, so we did not have to carry our luggage (no porters) up 3 floors. The lobby looks like the lobby of a once really nice 4 star hotel, which has not been getting any decent visitors for years, and the management decided to simply let go... So do the rooms.

Our room was spacious, but run down. The furniture was in a bad state, the mattresses no longer comfortable (too worn out). The room was not very clean, and I found a spider weaving a web on the leg of a chair (took her out to the balcony...). The bathroom seemed recently renovated, and was clean, apart from some hair in the faucet of the bathtub... The feeling I got was, again, that someone had big hopes for this Hotel, but after a few seasons of getting the typical low class tourists we get in Greece, decided to reduce the overheads by cutting down on proper maintenance.

The breakfast was a low point: really nothing that looked decent, we only took breakfast there once, and decided to skip it for the rest 2 days.

The issue is that there do not seem to be any other choices if you want to stay in Karlovasi, and limited other choices if you want to go to Samos in general. I think that the local authorities should really give some thought to giving some incentives to attract some investment in the Hotel business, because the island itself is really great, with lots to do.

The Inn, if renovated thoroughly, has potential, but at its current state, any rate above 60 Euro per night is a rip-off.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank AlbertR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karlovasi
Kampos Village Resort
#1 of 1 in Kerveli
Arion Hotel
Arion Hotel
#3 of 21 in Kokkari

Been to Samaina Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!