We have been regular guests at Le Bailli for almost 10 years, with yearly visits. It is very disappointing to see that they have not been able to maintain the level of service and attention to details that was present during the first
The location is absolutely fantastic. Set on a cliff with unobstructed seaviews, this must be one of the prime locations along the Cote Dazur. The village is quiet in a very pleasing way ( just a shame that Maurin de Maures became a commercial tourist trap typemrestaurant. This used to be one of the best local spots to visit, thanks to the previous owner and his team) the private beach and swimming pool have all the qualities to cater for a relaxing holiday in all privacy.
The hotel itself is nicely decorated. The rooms are becoming a bit worn out, with matrasses laying through. It is strange, in this price category, to see plain blankets and covers on a standard mattress instead of the luxury bedding one would expect. The bathrooms feature a large bathtub but no shower and are relatively small.
For info: room setup has been unchanged since 2003.
The main restaurant (La Praya) has a nice interior, but despite the hotel promoting its gastronomical qualities, the food quality is not up to expectations. Certainly not when looking at the price charged.
Bakfast is served there as well, and is of a very good quality. ( tip: book room and breakfast only)
During the day lunch and snacks are available at L'escale down at the beach and at the pool bar restaurant. Forget about the pool bar restaurant, as they offer what looks like a left-over buffet only.
L'Escale on the other hand has a niceand light menu available, with accomodating staff and great views! Only downside is that they only have limitted seats available, so making a reservation is a must, even being a guest in the 4 star hotel.
Refreshments are available from the poolbar, but they stop serving at 1700! So for those wanting to have a sunset apero by the pool, tough luck! We asked a drink at 1720 and got a plain NO as answer, and were directed to the main restaurant. (not a place to sit wearing swimshorts and bikini)
The GYM: an absolute joke and not even worthwhile having a look at. While it used to be equipped properly and at a location by the pool, they have moved this now to the. Top floor in what seems to be a broom closet. Old, dirty and neglected!
Staff: some are outstanding and provide all services required, but most are cold and almost unfriendly. You would think that after all these years they would keep track of regular guests, no? Well think again. And because the hotel's public is dominantly 50+, We more and more got the impression that no attention was given to us just because we are much younger. ( despite the fact that we booked a more expensive room for a long period of time with clear signs that we would be spending more than usual if treated well).
So Yes, the hotel truly has some great things to offer and people visitting for the first time might be pleased, but for us after seeing years of declined levels of service, I am afraid this was our last visit. We will mis the overall setting, but for this amount of money we have found better places in the same region. We lost our safe haven at the Cote Dazur, but moved on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury hotel located by the sea with private beach, in Rayol-Canadel.The hotel Le Bailli de Suffren is an elegant building nestling in one of the best preserved coves in the Gulf of Saint-Tropez.Everything has been done to ensure that your time here will be unforgettable: majestic setting, refined comfort, quality reception and facilities, excellent food, La Côte d'Azur's unique outstanding environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Fastbooking so you can book your Le Bailli de Suffren reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Bailli De Suffren Hotel Le Rayol-Canadel
- Le Bailli De Suffren France/Le Rayol-Canadel