Hotel Le Saint-James Relais & Chateaux
TripAdvisor
  • Fitness center
All reviewssaint jamessmall vineyardamazing restaurantmain restaurantthe general managerdowntown bordeauxhotel restaurantmichelin star restaurantacross the riverwonderful hotellovely poolwine countrytiny villageroom was largejacuzzi suitewonderful staybeautifully designed hotel
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beautiful original building with fantastic gardens, pool and view to Bordeaux. The appended hotel is supposed to be quirky and stylish but in reality was small, badly finished (plug sockets hanging out of the walls) and damp-smelling - oh, and accessed via a fire escape-style staircase. We requested a room with a terrace and were upsold to deluxe class on that basis. On arrival, we had the deluxe room but no terrace, and no other rooms were free. After much prompting, we were offered a 15% discount on the deluxe rate, but at Euro 375 a night that wasn't much comfort! The hotel really is an unconscionable rip-off, particularly if you plan to drink anything other than tap water during your stay.

The restaurant, on the other hand, was absolutely fantastic, housed in the beautiful old part of the building, with a well thought-out menu, good service and perfect sunset views. You pay handsomely for it but, unlike the accommodation, you feel you're getting your money's worth.

Room Tip: Ignore deluxe class unless you get a terrace. Ask for ground floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I recently spent 6 nights at the Saint James Hotel in Bouliac (right next door to Bordeaux, France). The hotel was exceptional in all areas. The staff was more than helpful. They couldn't do enough to make sure we were perfectly happy with our stay. The food was to die for. Very expensive all in all. A half glass of wine was 30 Euros. Our dinners were included in our tour so we really didn't know the price of meals but was worth every euro. Didn't taste anything that wasn't out of this world. We took 3 days of cooking classes and that was definately the highlight of our 2 week trip to France. Had so much fun and learned so much. Highly recommend this for anyone who loves to cook. We had the second in command chef and my sister and I and the whole kitchen to ourselves. It was really worthwhile. Nice because you get to set your menu. Just be careful when ordering a beer or whatever. You never see a bill if you are staying in the hotel as they know who you are and your hotel rrom so they just charge it. That was a nice touch but just keep track. Make sure breakfast is included in your trip or you pay 25 Euros per person for the continental. Again, awesome fresh croissants etc. I can't stess how great the food was. If you are a real foodie it is worth the trip to the restaurant. Our room was huge with an great bathroom. Massive shower with rain and four sprays from the sides. Three people could easily fit in this shower. Double sinks with every goodie (shampoo, body wash, conditioner, shower cap and hair tie, nail files, makeup remove pad, mouthwash etc. etc.). Nice in France. Really nice pool which was a pleasure as it was super hot when we were there. Every night the manager came by our table to make sure we were perfectly happy. The last night he comped our champagne which was really nice. I loved this place and would stay there in a heart beat again.

Room Tip: We got a free upgrade by our tour operator so if you are staying a few nights I think it is worth asking if there is a possible upgrade.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ATorkington, Directeur général at Hotel Le Saint-James Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Lianne C,

I would like to thank you for having posted your review of the Saint-James on Trip Advisor.
During your 6 nights with us you experienced in depth the services that we provide – the restaurant, the cookery school, the pool, the terraces, the grounds, the room…and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments are a great source of motivation for the team who enjoy giving pleasure to our guests.

We very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Saint-James!

Kindest regards

Anthony Torkington

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Excellent service. Reception is absolutely wonderful. Great breakfasts and the location is superb. Great view of Bordeaux during the evening. I would recommend this place as a base for tours to the wine country (especially if you are the left side of the river fun). We had a cooking class with my son and it was very enjoyable. I would only humbly suggest to allow more advanced cooks to have separate classes :-) The architecture was not up my alley though, The rooms are very modern and probably 20 years ago I would enjoy bathroom with glass walls and no doors but not any more :-) If you are looking for a romantic weekend with your girlfriend I would more than recommend :-)) Seriously the property is spectacular but some more conservative people may be put off. Breakfasts were at the highest level. I wish the restaurant o get the second star as it is fully deserved. A truly R&C property. My only small complain is to improve internet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pawel D,

Many thanks for having posted your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that your enjoyed your stay with us.

Our property was the first hotel designed by the famous French Architect Jean Nouvel. He was very bold at the time and effectively some rooms have bathrooms that give onto the room. This is however the case in only a few rooms and next time you could try a room with a bathroom that has a door!

The wifi system in the hotel is new and generally works well. I would be interested in knowing what problems you had with it – if you have the possibility of letting me know by email (reception@saintjames-bouliac.com).

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to the Saint-James.

Kindest regards,

Anthony Torkington

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great contemorary property with a very warm and welcong feeling and spectacular views on the river and he city of Bordeaux. Really nice and professional staff big and clean room with good bathroom and wonderful Premium bathroom amenities.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is an amazing location, beautiful restaurant, wonderful service. But, they did a very modern small hotel attached to a wonderful old building. modern is form over function - stark, no room for anything and so loud...with cement floors and no carpet, there are no sound buffers. so only stay here if you dont need to sleep, you can hear people walking three floors below.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple