“so loud!!!”

Hotel Le Saint-James Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bouliac
“so loud!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is an amazing location, beautiful restaurant, wonderful service. But, they did a very modern small hotel attached to a wonderful old building. modern is form over function - stark, no room for anything and so loud...with cement floors and no carpet, there are no sound buffers. so only stay here if you dont need to sleep, you can hear people walking three floors below.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
atlanta
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The design of this hotel and individual rooms is intriguing, if not particularly comfortable. Because the rooms are long and thin, there is no chair next to the bed and there are no bedside tables. This makes it hard to put anything next to the bed, even a glass of water. The bathroom is in the middle to the deluxe rooms, and it is very dangerous to take a shower, as the bathtub is incredibly slipery. There is a table and two chairs near the entrance. The best feature of the rooms is that they all have gorgeous views of St. James vineyards and the city of Bordeaux.

The front desk personnel is of variable quality. However, they are often understaffed. We often had to wait as much as 15 minutes to ask a question.

Madame Chloe is exceptionally nice and helpful. Unfortunately, when we arrived on a Sunday night, she wasn't available. The hotel does not have doorbells, and at night and during the day, if you enter from the parking lot, you need to know the code. The receptionist forgot to give us the code when we arrived (I speak French, so it was not a problem of language).

One night we arrive late after dinner in heavy rain and couldn't enter the hotel from the parking lot. We had to walk around the hotel building to enter through the main entrance, and we got drenched. They appologized, but they didn't offer to iron my dinner jacket which looked like a wet rag due to their negligence for not telling us that there is a code.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Paris
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

The staff is great. The food is amazing.
The view is breathless and the environment peaceful and zen.
The rooms are great (ask one with its access to the garden on the ground floor).
But the bathrooms are nice but the finish touch around the walls and tub is cheap and not very steady.
That was the only flaw.

• Stayed June 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We arrived on a wet Easter weekend. We had asked in advance whether the pool would be working, they said they would switch the heating on. They did and a great pool too. Warm, great view and long enough for laps. The rooms are large, good value, if a little quirky. The B&O sound system is a little dated but the furniture remains edgy. This is Jean Nouvel, not consensual chain style. The food is excellent, the wine list well priced and the staff unscathed by the usual supercilious manner of some Michelin gigs. Reception staff are very helpful and there was no wanton charging of irksome extras that characterises some R&C properties. You have to love a hotel that handles all age groups with such easy grace and provides a charming and affordable baby sitter at short notice without a hotel mark up. One of the better places I have visited in France.

Room Tip: rooms are a little noisy in a storm... modern architecture is more style than function
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
France
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed there one night while visiting family nearby, and I had dinner at the restaurant. The restaurant exceeded my expectations and deserves more than 1 Michelin * according to me. I definitively recommend it, all the more as service was both efficient and casual. Minor complaint: Bordeaux greatest crus were priced at undecent levels (sometimes twice as expensive as in 3 * restaurants in Paris). Anyhow, this gave me a good opportunity to try less famous wines, which turned out to be excellent too.
As for the lodging, its eccentric design is fun but also a bit outdated now. Walking to the rooms requires passing in a corridor that separates the restaurant from its kitchen (very strange) and walking up and down stairs. If the bedroom offers an interesting view, it is not breath-taking as, besides of the vineyard in the foreground, you mainly see freeways and commercial malls around Bordeaux in the distance. Furthermore, you may also have a view of your neighbours' bedroom (see picture), meaning you and your neighbours have no privacy. Except if closing the roller shutter and finding yourself in the dark (no curtain in the room, why ?).
I had some minor issues during my stay, such as the housemaid entering my room at 11h15 am on departure day while I was taking a shower. As rooms have to be left at 12 noon and as I had not checked-out yet, I do not understand why she entered my room in the first place. The hotel does not provide a "do not disturb sign" and the door lock I had engaged obviously doe not prevent people from entering the room. I also suffered from noise coming from the room above mine (when people flushed their toilets and so on) and I am afraid the rooms conception is too old to provide modern sound proofing. I also regreted the fact that toiletries were not refilled for turndown service.
Anyhow, this is a nice property and hotel location is good to explore Saint Emilion and Pomerol areas. As Bouliac is far from the Medoc area and as driving to Bordeaux can take quite a while with the traffic jams (railway station is a 15 minute easy drive but going really to Bordeaux downtown can become a nightmare), I would recommend staying at the Saint James for a short stay, focused on Saint Emilion and Pomerol, and on indulging oneself at their restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here on our road trip around Europe and we weren't disappointed.

Friendly staff, good service, fantastic food (although I don't think I've ever eat so much and so many courses in my life) and big well appointed rooms overlooking Bordeaux.

There isn't a lot to do in Bouliac, there is a small town, but if I read correctly the town was closed for renovations so we were mainly confined to the hotel.

We spent most of our time relaxing by the pool and enjoying the food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We had the Harley Suite forb3 nights and paid far too much for what this room offers. We couldn't sit at the table infront of our room. There was no umbrella/shade and in summer you need it. There was an empty coke bottle lying next to the chair. The service was poor. They couldn't serve us a lunch next to the pool because they used all the tables for formal restaurant. Why do they have a pool menu. The staff was rude! Will not go back and what alot of money waisted.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Girodot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bouliac
Yndohotel
#3 of 173 in Bordeaux
Hotel de Tourny
Hotel de Tourny
#2 of 173 in Bordeaux

Been to Hotel Le Saint-James Relais & Chateaux? Share your experiences!