“Wonderful Experience!”

Hotel Le Manoir de la Poterie & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricqueboeuf
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I really loved this place - where do I start.....

Pool - sea water at a perfect temperature, the sun shone through the class roof and walls - very relaxing...

Food - delicious breakfast, we were surprised that a small hotel of just 18 rooms could have such a variety. The evening menu was just as good, we were amazed to have a wonderful 5 course meal for €35.

Staff - Were friendly and helpful, they made us feel very welcome and one evening they lit the fire just for us.

Treatments - I had the best balinese massage ever twice! I suffer from lower back pain and had been receiving treatment, the massages I received from Angeline and Julie were better than physiotherapy.

Atmosphere - small intimate hotel where I would feel comfortable by myself, with a group of friends or with my partner.

My only complaint is the dining room, it seems to carry and magnify sound, I could hear every whisper from the other tables, which made diner a little uncomfortable. I think some soft background music is needed during diner time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MaryDunlaoghaire
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Manoir de la Poterie & Spa

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in the 'Judeline' room (all the rooms are named after varieties of apple), and found this to be literally one of the best places we've stayed, anywhere in the world. I loved the attention to every little detail in the rooms and throughout the whole property. The decor is just stunning and nothing has been overlooked. The staff were extremely good and the downstairs lounge is like home. The restaurant is also first class and we had an amazing meal there. Close enough to Deauville and Trouville yet we loved being out-of-the-way in tiny Criqueboeuf. There is one of the most beautiful sandy beaches just behind the hotel, and when we visited (albeit in winter) there was nobody else there - just magical. Would not stay anywhere else in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tjh2
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just visited the spa this weekend for French mother's day, with a friend. Spa treatment was decent, pool/hamman/lounge area was nice enough. [Would've been better if the sun had stayed around, but no one can be faulted for that!] Only complaint was that there was no real shower- it's nice to take a real shower after being slathered with oils for an hour. The only shower they offer is an open one, to take a 30 sec. rinse before going into the pool, which was not really effective. Also note- we had to pay an extra charge [12.50 euros each] to use the pool/hamman area, on top of the massage fee, so be aware. [Or go and spend all afternoon using the nice pool to make it worth your while!]

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had booked a twin bedded room and confirmed by telephone receiving email confirmation from the hotel. Having checked in and gone to our room we discovered it was a double, but this mistake was immediately rectified. The twin bedded we were given was large with good standard of furnishings and bathroom also a good size. Negatives were the shower, whilst looking very pretty with it's changing coloured lights on the shower head, the shower screen wasn't big enough to stop water from going all over the floor and flooding it.

We decided to make full use of the spa in the afternoon but this was rather disappointing. No robes given only towels so you have to take your bath robe from the room if you want to wrap up. The locker is shared for both occupants of the room and accessed by use of the room key, so if one person wants to return to the room you have a problem. Once we were changed, we decided to use the sauna but found it turned off. We were told that it was only available if we paid extra. However, the steam room was fully operational and freely available, but this only served to make the charge for the sauna seem extremely mean. The pool is a decent size though and the jacuzzi jets each side are a nice touch as well as the large jacuzzi to the side, also the pool is a salt water pool and whilst it could do with being slightly warmer, was acceptable, however, the separate jacuzzi could definitely have done with being warmer.

On to dinner, this was the one night on our travels we'd been looking forward to, but it was a real disappointment. We both ordered the 5 courses gastronimique, my partner had the foie gras followed by steak whilst I chose crab wrapped in carpaccio of carrot with a bisque sauce followed by three types of lamb. My choice turned out by a disaster. The crab was tasteless and seemed frozen rather than fresh, the carrot was wrong with it an the bisque overpowered everything. Upon ordering my lamb I was told that they had run out of the lamb with chilli but instead the chef was offering 2 lamb cutlets with extra blanquette d'agneau. When it arrived, there was one cutlet and the blanquette was in what could only be described as a microwave plastic bowl an was utterly tasteless. When I asked where the 2nd cutlet was the waitress came back saying the chef ha given me a large one so there wasn't to be another offered. Three meagre mouthfuls of an overdone cutlet had to be endured if I wanted to eat!

The wine we ordered was wrong and in fact was more expensive which we pointed out to the Maitre d'hotel which seemed to irritate him. But in fact from the start his whole demeanour was one of unfriendliness and a coldness. Whilst he was professional in his job, he made no attempt to engage with us and in fact rather intimidated us. As we had finished our bottle of wine we decided to have just a glass each of the same wine. The maitre d'hotel opened a new bottle at our table and poured out two new glasses at the same time muttering under his breath quickly that they were compliments of the house and walked off. This we assumed was because I had complained about my main course.

The breakfast was good, with an excellent buffet laid out, plenty of choice, with breads, pastries, fruits, cereals, different juices teas and coffees.

We went to the spa the following day to have our massage which was part of the spa package we'd booked. This was very disappointing with no massage on the arms or neck area which I would expect for a back massage. The background music ended moments after the masseuse left me so I was left in total silence, (good for some but not for others) and although she said 'call me if you need anything', I would have had to have shouted extremely loudly as there was no call button. After the massage, we were told there were teas available and then left to relax, but we had to make the drinks ourselves - not exactly a pampering experience.

In summary, whilst our stay was not terrible, as the bar staff were very attentive and the waitresses in the restaurant for morning and evening were also good, it was not a wonderful experience either. I certainly would not recommend this place, nor would I choose to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rosie2London
Reviewed September 11, 2011

le Manoir de la poterie has a good location for visiting la côte fleurie of Normandy. we visited Honfleur, Deauville, Caen, Bayeux, Arromanches, Pegasus bridge and Lisieux.
We were kindly upgrated to a spacious executive room on the third floor, on a corner, with sea view. Beautiful garden.
Friendly staff, free internet, breakfast with champaign, salmon and oysters..Relaxing atmosphere. The restaurant is classy but rather expensive, especially the wines. We preferred the fish restaurants in Honfleur at half of the price.
As our main activity was culture and tourism, we did'nt use the Spa area.(25 Euro a day)
We were very satisfied with our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: a room on the second floor at a corner
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I booked this hotel calling direct. We wished to have a relaxing week-end without hastle of sightseeing and specifically looked for a hotel with an indoor swimming pool.

SPA-
We are satisfied with the swimming pool. New and clean. Large windows making the atmosphere almost open-air in the month of February. The water temperature could be warmer, I thought in the beginning, but turned out to be quite comfortable.

We tried the sauna and hammam and both were nice. They are available on reservation only.

The WC in the spa was not even once cleaned between Saturday 16:00 and Sunday 11:00 as I could tell the state of the rubbish bin and stains on the toilet both remaining exactly the same, not pleasant.

I could not have a massage, as it was already fully booked as they warned earlier and advised us to book right away. It was fine as I was not particular about it.

The SPA reception is not attended most of time without house phone. The swimming pool is not attended either.

Room-
We had Lous XV suite on the first floor on the annex and under the roof top, therefore rather small windows. It is "suite" in the sense that it is large with a separate small sitting room.

The room decoration and furniture are new, and classic simple I would say,

There is no heating in the bath room.

Strangely there is only one hook to hang all of two large bath towels, two hand towels, two bath mitons, two towels for swimming, two bath robes, plus our two bathing suits. We managed with nobs, chairs, etc. but obviously not a beautiful scene.

There is no place to put cloths while taking bath/shower. It would be awkward to put them in cupboard under the wash basin, I think.

The shower water pressure is low.
No window in the bath room nor in the toilet.

There are two flat TVs in the bed room and the sitting room. There are also a DVD player and a CD player.

t was nice to be able to directly go to the swimming pool on the ground floor of the same annex with bathing suit and bathrobe.

The room charge was 285 euros as they seem to apply their High Season rate to all week-ends. The hotel seemed to be full.

Restaurant-
The food was fine. Having been to the area many times, I feel eating out in Honfleur and Deauville/Trouville can give better results.

Before starting dinner, they take us to the lounge area which is nicely done with fireplace. We enjoyed it much, but it may be worth noting you feel obliged to order aperitif.

Services-
Sometimes awkward or not smooth; not trained as professional maybe , although I had no unpleasant experience in particular.

The service attitude was quite flat with no particular nuisance except for a lady who welcomed us enthusiastically at the time of check-in and for a young lady who served us at the restaurant.

Overall, just fine and acceptably average.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank porta
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This hotel was very disappointing, especially the service. When we arrived we had to wait 20 min before someone would check us in (although they had seen us and we had asked for a check-in, they just ignored us). The "spa" does not deserve that name, The beauty treatments were unprofessional. We had a reservation for the sauna, but they forgot to heat it (although they did not forget to charge us). Faxes were not delivered and restaurant reservations forgot. The only thing that is nice about this hotel are the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank EvaAmsterdam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricqueboeuf
Le Manoir Des Impressionnistes & Spa - Esprit de France
La Ferme Saint Simeon - Relais et Chateaux
Auberge de la Source - Hotel de Charme
Auberge de la Source - Hotel de ...
#1 of 1 in Barneville-la-Bertran
La Closerie Honfleur
La Closerie Honfleur
#18 of 33 in Honfleur
Hotel les bains de Cabourg
Les Maisons de Lea
Les Maisons de Lea
#8 of 33 in Honfleur

Been to Hotel Le Manoir de la Poterie & Spa? Share your experiences!