Hotel Le Manoir de la Poterie & Spa
Hotel Restaurant Le Bellevue(Villerville)(Great Value!)
$167
$158
$140
Hotels.com
$95
Hotel Les 2 Villas(Trouville-sur-Mer)
$125
$122
  • Bar/Lounge
La Fraichette(Honfleur)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had booked a twin bedded room and confirmed by telephone receiving email confirmation from the hotel. Having checked in and gone to our room we discovered it was a double, but this mistake was immediately rectified. The twin bedded we were given was large with good standard of furnishings and bathroom also a good size. Negatives were the shower, whilst looking very pretty with it's changing coloured lights on the shower head, the shower screen wasn't big enough to stop water from going all over the floor and flooding it.

We decided to make full use of the spa in the afternoon but this was rather disappointing. No robes given only towels so you have to take your bath robe from the room if you want to wrap up. The locker is shared for both occupants of the room and accessed by use of the room key, so if one person wants to return to the room you have a problem. Once we were changed, we decided to use the sauna but found it turned off. We were told that it was only available if we paid extra. However, the steam room was fully operational and freely available, but this only served to make the charge for the sauna seem extremely mean. The pool is a decent size though and the jacuzzi jets each side are a nice touch as well as the large jacuzzi to the side, also the pool is a salt water pool and whilst it could do with being slightly warmer, was acceptable, however, the separate jacuzzi could definitely have done with being warmer.

On to dinner, this was the one night on our travels we'd been looking forward to, but it was a real disappointment. We both ordered the 5 courses gastronimique, my partner had the foie gras followed by steak whilst I chose crab wrapped in carpaccio of carrot with a bisque sauce followed by three types of lamb. My choice turned out by a disaster. The crab was tasteless and seemed frozen rather than fresh, the carrot was wrong with it an the bisque overpowered everything. Upon ordering my lamb I was told that they had run out of the lamb with chilli but instead the chef was offering 2 lamb cutlets with extra blanquette d'agneau. When it arrived, there was one cutlet and the blanquette was in what could only be described as a microwave plastic bowl an was utterly tasteless. When I asked where the 2nd cutlet was the waitress came back saying the chef ha given me a large one so there wasn't to be another offered. Three meagre mouthfuls of an overdone cutlet had to be endured if I wanted to eat!

The wine we ordered was wrong and in fact was more expensive which we pointed out to the Maitre d'hotel which seemed to irritate him. But in fact from the start his whole demeanour was one of unfriendliness and a coldness. Whilst he was professional in his job, he made no attempt to engage with us and in fact rather intimidated us. As we had finished our bottle of wine we decided to have just a glass each of the same wine. The maitre d'hotel opened a new bottle at our table and poured out two new glasses at the same time muttering under his breath quickly that they were compliments of the house and walked off. This we assumed was because I had complained about my main course.

The breakfast was good, with an excellent buffet laid out, plenty of choice, with breads, pastries, fruits, cereals, different juices teas and coffees.

We went to the spa the following day to have our massage which was part of the spa package we'd booked. This was very disappointing with no massage on the arms or neck area which I would expect for a back massage. The background music ended moments after the masseuse left me so I was left in total silence, (good for some but not for others) and although she said 'call me if you need anything', I would have had to have shouted extremely loudly as there was no call button. After the massage, we were told there were teas available and then left to relax, but we had to make the drinks ourselves - not exactly a pampering experience.

In summary, whilst our stay was not terrible, as the bar staff were very attentive and the waitresses in the restaurant for morning and evening were also good, it was not a wonderful experience either. I certainly would not recommend this place, nor would I choose to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rosie2London
Reviewed September 11, 2011

le Manoir de la poterie has a good location for visiting la côte fleurie of Normandy. we visited Honfleur, Deauville, Caen, Bayeux, Arromanches, Pegasus bridge and Lisieux.
We were kindly upgrated to a spacious executive room on the third floor, on a corner, with sea view. Beautiful garden.
Friendly staff, free internet, breakfast with champaign, salmon and oysters..Relaxing atmosphere. The restaurant is classy but rather expensive, especially the wines. We preferred the fish restaurants in Honfleur at half of the price.
As our main activity was culture and tourism, we did'nt use the Spa area.(25 Euro a day)
We were very satisfied with our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: a room on the second floor at a corner
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I booked this hotel calling direct. We wished to have a relaxing week-end without hastle of sightseeing and specifically looked for a hotel with an indoor swimming pool.

SPA-
We are satisfied with the swimming pool. New and clean. Large windows making the atmosphere almost open-air in the month of February. The water temperature could be warmer, I thought in the beginning, but turned out to be quite comfortable.

We tried the sauna and hammam and both were nice. They are available on reservation only.

The WC in the spa was not even once cleaned between Saturday 16:00 and Sunday 11:00 as I could tell the state of the rubbish bin and stains on the toilet both remaining exactly the same, not pleasant.

I could not have a massage, as it was already fully booked as they warned earlier and advised us to book right away. It was fine as I was not particular about it.

The SPA reception is not attended most of time without house phone. The swimming pool is not attended either.

Room-
We had Lous XV suite on the first floor on the annex and under the roof top, therefore rather small windows. It is "suite" in the sense that it is large with a separate small sitting room.

The room decoration and furniture are new, and classic simple I would say,

There is no heating in the bath room.

Strangely there is only one hook to hang all of two large bath towels, two hand towels, two bath mitons, two towels for swimming, two bath robes, plus our two bathing suits. We managed with nobs, chairs, etc. but obviously not a beautiful scene.

There is no place to put cloths while taking bath/shower. It would be awkward to put them in cupboard under the wash basin, I think.

The shower water pressure is low.
No window in the bath room nor in the toilet.

There are two flat TVs in the bed room and the sitting room. There are also a DVD player and a CD player.

t was nice to be able to directly go to the swimming pool on the ground floor of the same annex with bathing suit and bathrobe.

The room charge was 285 euros as they seem to apply their High Season rate to all week-ends. The hotel seemed to be full.

Restaurant-
The food was fine. Having been to the area many times, I feel eating out in Honfleur and Deauville/Trouville can give better results.

Before starting dinner, they take us to the lounge area which is nicely done with fireplace. We enjoyed it much, but it may be worth noting you feel obliged to order aperitif.

Services-
Sometimes awkward or not smooth; not trained as professional maybe , although I had no unpleasant experience in particular.

The service attitude was quite flat with no particular nuisance except for a lady who welcomed us enthusiastically at the time of check-in and for a young lady who served us at the restaurant.

Overall, just fine and acceptably average.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank porta
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This hotel was very disappointing, especially the service. When we arrived we had to wait 20 min before someone would check us in (although they had seen us and we had asked for a check-in, they just ignored us). The "spa" does not deserve that name, The beauty treatments were unprofessional. We had a reservation for the sauna, but they forgot to heat it (although they did not forget to charge us). Faxes were not delivered and restaurant reservations forgot. The only thing that is nice about this hotel are the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EvaAmsterdam
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Having travelled briefly to Deauville last year we wanted to stay nearby for a few days this time. I was told that Honfleur was nice and came across this hotel using a popular search engine. In advance we booked the Louis XV suite for the 4 of us. Got a decent deal directly with the hotel - Carole very helpful indeed.

After a 2h 30min drive from the tunnel we arrived. The two buildings arent actually old and are new but made to look a little old. The main hotel building, with reception, lounge, restaurant, rooms and the other building with the spa / pool and more rooms. Distance between each building was about a 20 second walk! We arrived to be greeting by Annabel who was very helpful indeed, explaining everything about the hotel. The only confusion was all the information about keys, security, daily code for the door, spa keys etc. I defy anyone to understand all this first off! It wasnt a problem though as we soon learned. There was no porter to take our bags but i'm a strong lad to parked the car near to the spa building as that was where our room was - and what a result.

Room was brilliant with an almost sea view and Le Havre lurking in the background - who cares when a room is this nice? Main double bed was massive - king i think. Very very confortable. We also received a complimentary bottle of the local cidar and some delicious French cakes - thank you!

The toilet was seperate and dull as is usual for France, but this was as minor point.

The children (age 4 and 6) had their own room - and both rooms had a flat screen with dvd player. You could borrow DVDs for free, and we brought a load of our own. The players also had a USB socket so if you had a USB memory key with downloaded movies on then these could be played too - ticking all my gadget boxes! Carol lent us Ratatouille and helped with lots of things - she was most helpful.

Bathroom could have managed a bigger bath as room was big enough but there were LOADS of toiletries, and 4 robes! Tons of towels too.

When we wanted to use the spa we had to go back across to the other buulding, get keys for the lockers and come back again. Told you it was silly. Anyway, this wasnt an issue. The spa was very very new and the lockers contained more free robes and towels. As our room was just above the pool not only were our nights very quiet, it took about 10 seconds to get to the pool area from the room so we could just pp downstairs in our robes - and change into more robes if we so desired. Treatments can be booked in advance, as can the Turkish bath and sauna, but we didnt bother. The kids played in the pool for HOURS with the wife and I relaxing on the poolside beds. It's hot in there so make sure you're not fully clothed!

The breakfast was nice and with lots of choice. It wasnt anything amazing but satisfactory if you chose to have it in the hotel. There is no room service either. For your evening meal you have to book the restaurant before you arrive or else you will not get in! We didnt get a chance to eat there but we heard very good things about the food there.

All in all we had such a good time there and would recommend for all. You obviously need a car and Honfleur is BEAUTIFUL but dont go to Ginos Pizzeria - ever. All the other places we tried were really good. People so friendly and made a fuss of the children.

We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank baleno_laddy