All reviews wine list junior suite highway exit main road worked fine amuse bouche perfect stay spacious bathroom michelin star bread swimming pool air conditioning luxury hotel top floor no elevator small hotel night stay
Selected filters
Reviewed October 7, 2018

Our experience of the Ermitage was rather mixed. First of all three very good things. We originally booked for July and being cheapskates choose a no refund tariff. We had to cancel at short notice and the hotel was not obliged to do anything. In fact they rescheduled the booking with no fuss and at no additional payment. Secondly the staff are charming and friendly. And thirdly the restaurant is really excellent - do try the pigeon in salt, s is breakfast.

Our reservations were that it seems more like a really an excellent restaurant and conference centre with an expensive but less good hotel attached, rather than a luxury hotel. The hotel portrays itself as in the Burgundy countryside, but in fact is less than 50m from the very busy Beaune / Dijon road. We arrived at a weekend, and there seemed to be a skeleton staff on duty, and we were shown to the wrong room, but quickly moved when we complained into the suite that we had booked at a rack rate of €390 a night (though we had a discounted rate). The room was large and comfortable with a very nice bathroom, but decorated in dark rather depressing colours and had no furniture with sensible drawers. it wasn't uncomfortable (though we found the bed rather hard) but it did feel overpriced. There is a bar, but if you come in from dinner out it will be laid for breakfast.

So overall rather difficult to rate.

Room tip: Insist on a room at the back.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

I loved my large room, and even though I faced the road I didn’t notice any noise at night because I had my air conditioning on which worked great. The property has some beautiful vineyards in back and I recommend that everyone take the time to walk the surrounding area. The women on the lobby desk were wonderful and answered all our questions and spoke great English. I highly recommend this property, however our review of the restaurant is not quite as glowing.

The amuse-bouche was tasteless and my mackerel was under done and had no flavor. My two other guests had similar opinions of their entrées, and the bus boy did not seem to have a clue. At the time there were only three tables occupied, and he offered bread to the table next to us and then disappeared for 25 minutes. He came back finally and offered the same platter of bread to us with the missing items from the previous table. I know this is France but it just seemed that everything took forever even though the restaurant had no one in it. It was very expensive and we were not impressed by the food.

I would still stay here in a heartbeat but just go somewhere else for dinner.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2018

We spent four nights here in a duplex junior suite which (being ground floor) had a small courtyard garden facing the pool (despite the summer heatwave we managed to be here for the only days in August when the sun didn't shine). Good quality, comfortable bed and bedding; a well organised room. Some reviews refer to traffic noise - we did not notice this at all; however, the plumbing when upstairs took an early shower was noisy.
The hotel is well located for exploring the area and is very close to Beaune. Service is good and the restaurant is truly excellent (separate review filed). Breakfast was very good, with a wide selection of viennoiseries, hot food, quality jams and honey (so good, we bought some) and easily catered for a gluten allergy.
We had no issues with wifi or service.
We would return.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

It is harder to find quality lodging in Burgundy than in Alsace. This place is a rare exception. They are not far away from the highway exit, so it is convenient without having to deal w city traffic in Beaune and parking issue. We got a surprise upgrade to superior suite, which was very nice for family with kids. The bathroom was huge w nice jacuzzi and there was a balcony facing the pool and morning sun. The hotel is in the vineyard, but the nice view is from the front side with D974 running in between. I can’t comment the noise level from the front side. My side has no traffic noise.

The restaurant in this hotel is a delight. You definitely have to book it in advance as it is so booked out on weekends. They offer an exceptional gourmet experience for adults and even kids. My kids loved the food. At 18 euros 3 courses for kids, all delivered exceptionally, it is a deal you are not going to find anywhere in Beaune. The menu for adults was also amazing. We especially loved the beef cheek dish. I could’t get a table on Sat after our Fri dinner and had to go to the city. Mind you book early. All good ones were full and we ended up in le table du square, big mistake. It is more expensive after you order a three course meal and it is not even half as good.

We took their breakfast w intimidation after I read a few negative reviews. I would say it objectively. It is not the most sumptuous with the biggest selection, no salmon, not a big selection of fruits or yogurts. But it is a small hotel, so it is hard to offer a large selection when there are not a lot of guests compared to a bigger hotel. Thus it is not cheap for 18 euros per adult ( kids under 12 is 9 euros). But the quality is good.

Our biggest discomfort was WIFI. We are not in the middle of Serengeti. It is a few kms away from a major french city. The WIFI was seriously bad, spotty, slow and we were disconnected all the time. I suggested to the owner to install some ubiquiti WiFi extender. Certainly I hope you won’t have the problem we had.

It could have been a perfect stay. I am giving it a 4-star rating for the lack of WiFi.

Date of stay: September 2018
ermitagecorton, Responsable réception at Ermitage de Corton, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Dear Victoria,
Thank you for this nice comment upon your last stay with us with your children, it was a pleasure for us to welcoming you at l'Ermitage,
We hope to seeing you again another time,
Best regards,
Clémence

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

This is a building on its own on a main road, close to the motorway.
We booked here with another couple many months ago, our room 101 was a dark tired room with dirty grout in the shower and lack of working extractor in the wc. We asked Julie if she had another room she showed us a room on the same floor which was massive and could have been lovely apart from a distinctive odour of dampness, another room was on the top floor but smelled of cigarettes in the carpet. By contrast our friends had a nice room on the ground floor with two private patios. We went out for a meal as the restaurant was closed and returned at 9:45 to be told the bar was closed. Julie managed to get us a baileys in our room. During the night we were woken by a baby crying and then again in the morning by the sound of tables being dragged and the heating rumbling into action. Room 102 which was next to ours we looked into in the morning, it was bright sunny spacious and airy with 3 French doors and a balcony overlooking the road. We spoke with the manager who was blunt and almost completely devoid of understanding! I have never experienced such poor treatment in a hotel before. “You saw the room you stayed you pay!” Eventually she reluctantly deducted 10% and as expected we had already cancelled our stay for the next night, and found a superb room in Beaune.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexBath
ermitagecorton, Responsable réception at Ermitage de Corton, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2018

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for this comment after your stay with us.

On your arrival at 3 p.m. you said the classic room did not correspond to your wish (25m2), so you were proposed 2 other rooms of superior categories to the one you booked.

You disliked both of them (45m2 and 60m2, each room with vineyard view) and told this to Julie impolitely. It was then possible to leave our hotel that was not of your taste, and we would not have charged your stay at all. It was your choice to stay with us and to spend your night here.

You argued on a rude manner at checkout telling me you would not pay the bill. I heard your disagreement and disappointment but there clearly was no technical fault on our part, so our bill was due.

Your friends stayed with us one more night and were really happy with their stay with us on all levels.

We hope you received the pillows you forgot in your room that we kindly gave them back.

Best regards,