“Friendly staff, but poor facilities and noisy rooms”

Tulip Inn Leiderdorp
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leiderdorp
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked this hotel (2 rooms: for my colleague and I) as we had a meeting very close by the next morning, which is probably the only reason why I have booked this hotel. The hotel is located next to the highway and next to a Burger restaurant. There's nothing in the area around the hotel to do unless you take your car. We checked in, very friendly staff, and put our stuff in the room - which seemed OK, large room and large bathroom with both bath tub and seperate shower -. We had dinner at the hotel, the choice pretty standard, but food was nice.
Then we returned to the rooms and found out that they are not soundproof at all. The plummings make such a terrible noice so if someone flushes the toilet or fills a bath tub or takes a shower, it is a horrible noice. There is no minibar in the room, so make sure you buy a bottle of water for the night in the hotel shop before going to your room.
The beds were old and the mattresses worn out, so I was constantly pulled to the middle of my mattress. I did not have a good sleep at all.

The breakfast was absolutely dissappointing. Very very limited choice and worst coffee ever.

I would not recommend this hotel; unless you have a meeting next doors.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Steven D

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We used a GPS to locate & phone this place and as the road works were in massive reconstruction phase, lanes & exits were closed and written directions hard to follow but it was a lovely hotel. The restaurant in the hotel served lovely meals as we didn't want food from McDonalds next door.There is a lovely spacious bar area and huge eating area. Very good selection of food & drinks and can recommend this place if you want to rest up overnight. Bus groups do us this hotel but they are separately catered for and no issues. Plenty of outside carparking beside the hotel. Depending on traffic flows allow 1 hr to airport - we did it in less on a Saturday morning.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade and cost.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We went to this hotel for a visit to Leiden. We've bought a voucher on an internetauction, so we didn't pay much. On arrival reception the reception was not informed of our reservation, but we had brought a print of our prepaid internetreservation and there were still rooms left, so we could get a room.

On arrival, the room was very cold because the heating was turned off. After 5 hours the room still was a bit cold. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom with bath and separate shower was old but clean. The beige carpet was stained, but the rather large room was visibly renovated.

There was a lot of noise of (drunk?) neighbours, slamming doors and plumbing noises. Earplugs did help, we had a good night.

Breakfast was awfull. On sunday morning breakfast was from 8 till 10 AM, so most guests came at 9.30 AM. Three different families had to share one table because there was not enough room. There was no more bread or scrambled eggs and staff did'nt fill it up. Our breakfast consisted of coffee and fruit with yoghurt. Maybe it is the intentention that you buy your breakfast at the neighbouring Mac Donalds restaurant?

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank memberHolland
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Actually, you'll be surprised to learn that I don't mind a lot about Tulip Leiderdorp. The rooms are basic, but large and clean. It's usefully-positioned near the Amsterdam-Leiden-Rotterdam-Hague motorway, has it's own reasonable restaurant (if a little lacking on the atmosphere side!)

But the fact that a simple flush of the toilet results in 20 minutes of the most excruiating noise, not dissimliar from an ocean liner forces me to give this place 1 out of 5. Sort it out!

To clarify this wifi issue, there IS some free access, but it's only for 15 minutes, after which it kicks you off and you have to log back in again. It's basically to force you to pay for uninterrupted access, whilst at the same time allowing them to advertise "free" wifi. Should be outlawed. Had to pay €16 for 24 hours' access.

As for breakfast, if you can stomach McDonalds, there's one right opposite. I'd save your money on the Tulip breakfast experience if I were you.

No idea why I came back here (this was my second visit). Lack of imagination I suppose.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I booked an executive room. But you can save the extra money.
Not worth it. I expected to stay in a room as shown on their website but landed in a old type of room. No view. No boxspring. Old soft matrass. Old TV with just a few channels.
Room size is ok. Bathroom is soso. Needs renovation. Rooms are noisy. You can hear showers running in other rooms.
This hotel used to be an AC Hotel.
Receptionist are very friendly. Quick checkin/-out.
The hotel advertise free WiFi. The WiFi is free, but you have to pay for the connection to the internet. 110 min = €9,95
Breakfast is buffet style. €14. Nothing special. Old scrambled eggs. Only bacon.
No fresh coffee. Comes out of a container. No fresh loaf of bread.
Waitress was loudly talking to guests. She empties the tables using a trolley while guest are having breakfast.
Much to improve! Check the breakfast in Tulip Inn Amsterdam and learn!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Diemel
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel 3 times between April and June 2011 for a total of about 5 weeks. Overall we liked this hotel. It has good sized rooms and a full size bathroom with separate bath and shower. It is located on the edge of Leiderdorp near to the A4 Motorway and has good access to the north and south of Holland. It is also only a 5 minute drive into central Leiden. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is very good. Hot and cold choices with lots of breads, cereals, yogurt etc. There is plenty of free Parking at the hotel and a McDonalds restaurant is right next door. We negotiated free WiFi Access with the staff at reception. I have seen other reviews where it is said that wifi costs extra at this hotel. We had no problem getting it for free so just ask for it. The reception staff are very helpful and friendly.

The restaurant attached to the Hotel is not reccomended as it stands. The prices are a little overpriced for what you get and the service needs to be improved. We only ate here on one night and we waited nearly 40 minutes to have our plates cleared away after the main course. There are lots of other great places to eat in Leiden. (I reccomend Donatello's in the Harlemmastraat). For 59 euro's a night this Hotel is very good value. We will stay here again next time we are in Leiden.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor on the non-Motorway side. You will get a nice view of a Windmill...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My husband and self stayed in a classic room which was spacious,clean,quiet and had a lovely view from second floor room.
The reception staff went the extra mile to offer help and advice. Requests (ie extra pillows) were dealt with speedily.
Breakfast was included and was of a good standard.
We ate at the Hotel the first evening and had a meal which was excellent. Sadly our fourth night the meal was of not such a high standard, and the wine we ordered was incorrect. However, our complaint was taken seriously and a reduction in cost of said meal was agreed.
All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel.
(English pensioner and Husband)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DotandAl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leiderdorp
Landgoed Kasteel Oud-Poelgeest
Van der Valk Hotel Avifauna
Van der Valk Hotel Avifauna
#1 of 1 in Alphen aan den Rijn
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant De Witte Raaf

Been to Tulip Inn Leiderdorp? Share your experiences!