“Gastronomy without feeling stuffed”
Review of La Cambusa del Pescatore - CLOSED

La Cambusa del Pescatore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Gastronomy without feeling stuffed”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I spent the evening here because of the reviews on this website, and I know why the reviews were so raving mad. The food is authentic, which means that there is an older Italian woman in the kitchen who is preparing the food. When the waiter asked me if I liked the food, I said, no, I do not like the food; I love the food. He entered the kitchen and this older Italian woman came out. I do not read or write (and therefore do no understand much Italian), so I had asked the waiter to order for me. He ordered the Antipasti; the Paccheri all Matricaiana de Mare; the Gnochetti Gamberi e Speck Croccante; and finally the Tiramisu espresso a la pistacchio... in a word, I ate a lot of healthy food, which is why I did not feel stuffed after eating, but satisfied.

• Visited February 2014

Geneva, Switzerland
“Excellent and creative fish and sea food antipasti”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I screened many restaurants in Nettuno on Tripadvisor and several had many negative comments especially about over- priced and tasteless food. I chose this restaurant as it had only one negative remark and I knew I could check if it was true by opening the door to the restaurant as it said that it smelled fried fish inside. I can confirm that it does not smell fried fish. I came here two evenings at a row as I was happy after my first meal and didn’t find any other alternatives in Nettuno on Tripadvisor.
It is a family run restaurant and service is friendly and casual.
It is a fish restaurant and I wanted to eat fish. I therefore cannot recall if they had any meat.
The antipasti consist of a tasting (“degustazione”) of ten small plates of different fish antipasti. My favorites were: marinated seabass with coriander grains, calamari and corn, tuna tartare (but would be better without pecorino). Personally, I was less fond of the antipasti with warm salmon. After the antipasti I one night had fritura of fish and the other night sea food pasta.
They took over the management of the restaurant early July and had some things on their to-do list to complete when I came there in the middle of August. They then collected feedback from guests on the menu. They also needed to create a homepage, which has now been done.
They had to make a wine list. The wine selection was the only negative point when I visited. Since the antipasti are full of strong tastes I would go for aromatic white wines of a certain quality e.g. Vermentino from Liguria or Sardinia, or Vernaccia. In a restaurant in Olbia with similar cuisine they have e.g. Karmis from Vini Contini (Vernaccia&Vermentino). Other options would be Italian white wines e.g. from Sicily from grapes such as Inzolia, Cataratto, Viognier and Grillo. I suggested to the owner to have some short written information in the wine list with names of the grapes as well as a short tasting note. It would be good to have some half bottles. From the reviews since my visit it is difficult to say if the wine list done and if the selection improved.

• Visited August 2013