“Great Beach, Good Marriott”

St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Reviewed March 25, 2014

When we travel, we stay at Marriott hotels. We like the larger rooms and service. This one is nice. Not the best Marriott, but nice. It has a large beach with a lot of cabanas. The staff was very nice. My only comment is that they were not well trained. This could easily be solved if corporate would send someone to train. We had breakfast one morning and they gave me the coffee I ordered, they didn't bring the cream for over 5 minutes. By then the coffee was cold. They also did not bring meals to the table at one time. We were a party of 4. 2 would get their meals and the other 2 had to wait another 5-10 minutes. These are simple fixes but shouldn't have happened. The front desk staff were very friendly. So were the attendants at the pool.

This facility is located just a short walk from some great beach bars. Be sure to check them out when you visit.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelingmom15108
SKMarriott, General Manager at St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Hello there Travelling Mom

Thank you so much for your feedback, we truly appreciate it as we endeavor to improve our service levels moving forward. We are happy to note that you appreciated the number of Pallapas we have on our beach as we want to ensure that you our guests can always find some shade. The place you mentioned with the bars is called The Strip, and it is a hotspot of activities for "Liming" as we locals call hanging out. We are glad that you enjoyed your time on island and we look forward to hosting you again.

Jacques Hamou

Write a ReviewReviews (3,229)

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed at the Marriott March 9-16, 2014 in the main hotel on the 3rd floor and the hotel was very clean, nice balcony to have tea on in the mornings and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Did not feel the hotel was run down but did not see the villas and time shares. It is a beach hotel and as a beach condo owner I know that the salt air causes rust. The beach was beautiful and the gazebos provided some welcome shade in the middle of the day. Compared to the Atlantic ocean in NC, the water was very calm with small waves and no undertow. Got tea in the Calypso restaurant in the am, had pizza from Pizza shack which was very good and ate lunch in Bohemia twice . Food was good, service on island time and expensive like most Carribean islands. Ate breakfast at Rituals (a short walk from the hotel), dinner at Ciao, Jam Rock, Shiggedly Shack, Cathys and best of all Friday Lobster Feast at Reggae Beach Club( other side of island). Fresh seafood is and to eat at picnic tables on the beach watching the sunset was a treat. Best beach on island is Cockleshell with very calm water, beach chairs and umbrellas for rent and Reggae Beach bar for food, drinks and restrooms with Jimmy Buffet music. Morton wonderful taxi driver. Took tour to Nevis booked through hotel and it was wonderful! Cookie was the best tour guide I have ever had in many cruises and island visits.
Went sailing with Blue Water Safari on the 1/2 day sail and snorkel on the Falcon and the crew was so much fun and very safety oriented during the snorkeling. A wonderful trip only too short.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diane W

Hi Diane

WOW!! It seems in your short time here you truly immersed yourself in the Kittitian lifestyle. You really got out and about and enjoyed your time on island. Unfortunately time always flies when you are having fun but we are glad that you spent some of it on a visit to our little sister island of Nevis. Thank you for coming down and the great feedback. We look forward to your next visit

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We just returned from a week's stay with a group. We had a nice time and the staff is very nice for the most part. I made a request (a rubber mat for inside the tub since the tub is very slippery when you're taking a shower) and the grab bar is even more slippery than the tub itself and after misunderstanding me a few times, they finally got it right and sent one right up. The food was decent, though way overpriced - this is not an all inclusive so you have to pay for everything. For instance,dinner for my husband and me in the Blu seafood restaurant was $127 when the food was about the same level as my own cooking and I am quite average in that department. The best restaurant in our opinion is La Cucina, the Italian one - we ate there twice. Of course, there are other restaurants outside the resort but we heard that the prices were similar, though in some cases the food was better. The waitresses in the Cafe Calypso were pretty slow moving and one made a mistake when my husband paid the bill and came outside of the cafe to berate him in front of other people when it wasn't anything he himself did wrong. I enjoyed the pool and it was conducive to the kind of swimming i enjoy - treading for a long time for some exercise. Beware of the tricks people employ to hog the pool chairs - they sneak out early in the morning and lay their towels on the chairs with a bag of junk or a plastic container or something so it looks like the chairs are occupied when in fact, these people don't show to actually use the pool for hours and hours if ever. I know this since I took a daily early morning walk around 6 am and saw the towels and junk on the chairs when no one was around or in the pool for at least 4 more hours and usually more than that. One couple from a time share kept their towels permanently clipped to the chairs overnight until I complained to them and the pool management. The bed was extremely lumpy - in the center was a little mountain that you could hardly roll over. in spite of all this, we enjoyed our stay and the place is beautiful. Would we go back? If the trip was free maybe.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
SKMarriott, Manager at St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hello Hamana

We are glad to hear that you spent some time here at our beautiful island and resort and that you have a positive view of our staff. We do offer all inclusive options at the resort, perhaps as per your group agreement this option was not available to you. Thank you for the positive feedback regarding our La Cucina Restaurant, I will personal Thank the staff there and ensure that their efforts are highlighted, Thanks to your feedback.
Unfortunately there seems to have been a misunderstanding with one of our servers and we are investigating and will address it. Once again Thank you for visiting our resort and providing your feedback.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We just got home from our vacation at St. Kitts. We had a wonderful stay at the Marriott. It was clean, safe and staff was very nice. Everything runs on island time, meaning service at bars and restaurants is slow. Everyone just takes their time. But even though it was slow, they did go the extra distance and had chef make some sandwiches for our family hike up the volcano. The activity center had basketballs, soccer balls, snorkeling equipment, board games, etc, at no extra cost.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle326
SKMarriott, General Manager at St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hello There Michelle326

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we would like to express Sincere Gratitude for your positive remarks. We are glad the Chef was able to get you just what you needed for that hike, parts of it can be strenuous. We look forward to your next visit and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Just returned from 5 days, 4 nights at the Marriott. Hotel was just ok. Needs some updating, paint, fixing up. Looks "tired" and worn out, but not horrible. Our room top floor, in building 11, room 313 was a corner room, very clean, and HUGE. Loved the huge balcony too. Don't request it, if you can not do stairs. Ate breakfast at take-out Calypso Cafe (Fruit, muffins, bagels, coffee) and Calypso restaurant breakfast off menu, not buffet. Also, ate lunch at Pizza Shack (Jerk chicken wrap, best I have ever had) and Bohemia Beach restaurant for lunch. All good meals. LOVED the beach cabanas. We saved ours at 8-8:30 AM, and always found one, first row closest to the water. The ocean is super warm, and clear. Long walks along on the beach-perfect. Joe, who brings his pet monkey named "Sunny" around, real nice guy. Ate at Serendipity, Spice Mill, Marshalls, and Ciao. Loved all of them. Great lobster and shrimp ! Ask for "Leo's" taxi if you can. Very nice guy, and informative about island. "Sweet P" also great taxi driver. Went to Shipwreak Beach for the day. Wild monkeys wonder around, and so much fun to get close to and take pics. Beautiful drive there. Concierge ladies, the most helpful, and best service in hotel. Most of the staff didn't seem to care you were there at all...Guys out front, for getting your taxis were very nice also.

Room Tip: We were put in the main building. I asked to be moved to one of the smaller buildings. We had a grea...
1  Thank CMFLansing_MI_
SKMarriott, General Manager at St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Good Day

We always love hearing about your time getting to know us here on St Kitts. It sounds like you did take the time to get to know not only the resort but the island as well. Glad that you loved your room and that balcony is really nice for sitting out and soaking up some rays. Unfortuntately what makes us exceptional is also a challenge for us, meaning the constant breeze blowing the salt air in our direction which results in the wear and tear that you observed. Fortunately for us we have an exellent engineering team on property who are constantly working on painting, replacing and general upkeep. I will send a special Thank You to our Front Office team thanks to your feedback. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

This is a large hotel and one of the only major "resorts" on St. Kitts. There is a Casino attached to the hotel. Smaller Casino with a few table games and slot machines. The hotel overall is poorly maintained. Food is average in the hotel. Service is spotty but overall good. The room that I stayed in was quite tired and in need of updating. It also was not clean to the standards that you would expect or desire from a resort of this type. Pool area was average. Fountains were not working. Hotel is on the Atlantic side of the island. Beach is spacious, but waves were quite large while we were there. Gym was decent, but equipment could use updating. WIFI was spotty at times but free in the Lobby area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Outdoorguy2
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I had mixed feelings about booking my trip to St. Kitts because of the reviews I read. When I got to the resort it was beautiful, clean, and the check in was quick. Nothing like the negative reviews I read here before we left and my husband and I have gone to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in MoBay, Sandals Montego Bay, Riu in Aruba and Breezes Bahamas all considered 4 or more stars. While we waited for our luggage to arrive I went to the lobby bar to get my first drink. A Pina Colada and it was the best Pina Colada I had ever had. They put cinnamon and it added a little kick that I loved. My husband and I did the all inclusive for this trip, it was worth every penny and we didn't have to worry about what we ate or drank or how much it was going to cost us.

The room was comfortable and had all the amenities all the other hotel offer fridge, safe, tv, blow dryer, toiletries, etc., but the black drapes were a bonus. The wifi worked for us in our room and we didn't' have any problems. The view of the island as we left our room was unbelievably beautiful.

The grounds were gorgeous. The pool had more than enough space to accommodate everyone. The beach was just breath taking. You had the view of the ocean and to the right the beautiful view of the mountains. There was always a hut or enough chaise for all their guests and the public. Keep in mind the beach is public. Other than the masseur's you don't have people trying to haggle you. The masseurs are very respectful and if you say no politely they don't persist.

We ate breakfast everyday at Calypso. You can order from the menu or get the buffet. Both are very good. In the buffet there's an omelette station, a variety of breads, fruits, bacon, waffles, pancakes, plantains, home fries, smoked salmon, deli meats, cheese, cereal, etc. I would get a latte every morning and it was the best latte I have ever had (I'm a Starbucks girl and it was better than Starbucks).

For lunch we would eat at either the Pizza Shack or the Bohemian Beach Pool Bar & Grille. Pizza was great. The portions at the Bohemian are more than enough for two people so if you're on a budget and didn't go all inclusive you can share.

We ate at all the Restaurants for dinner and they were all equally good. On Tuesday's at La Cucina they offer buffet and pasta stations. The waitress (can't remember her name) was great at La Cucina and always remembered what my husband and I drank.

Keys Bar on the third floor offers a mojito night with a live band. It is packed and a lot of the students from the island go there to unwind but it's fun.

The lobby bar offers Sushi Friday to Sunday and a live band Friday and Saturday. There isn't a nightly show at this resort, but there is tons to do outside the resort to keep you entertained.

While there we got a couple's massage at Emerald Mist Spa. The best massage I have had in the Caribbean IMHO. The water therapies and saunas are not co ed, but very enjoyable.

If there a reviews here that at tempting you not to book I would disregard them and go with your gut and visit St Kitts Marriot Resort & The Royal Beach Casino if that's what your gut is telling you. Keep in mind the staff is on island time and you can't expect to get the quick service. Especially at the bars.

We can't wait to go back. St. Kitts was one of the most beautiful and friendliest islands that we have ever been too :)

Room Tip: Go All Inclusive
2  Thank JTd0t

Hello JTd0t

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about our hotel and resort. You provided alot of smiles and happy faces when this review was shared with our associates. Thak you so much for sharing your feedback and encouraging our future guests to visit. We can't wait to have another opportunity to host you

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frigate Bay
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!