St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Decent..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 10 days from jan 1 onwards. We had great weather maybe a short (5 minutes maximum) shower here and there. The hotel is a bit dated (we stayed in the main building) but it grows on you. We were willing to pay for an upgrade but apparently the hotel was full.

The staff are friendly. All our interactions with them were professional, especially Tres and Michael at the front desk. Housekeeping was prompt and very consistent. There was a bit of the pool chair game but this happened only the first few days . We enjoyed the north pool when we found no pool chairs available in the main pool.

We had lunch at the hotel twice: the pizza shack serves great pizza but be patient as it can take up to an hour we also grabbed burgers at the bohemian pool side restaurant. They were average however they make a great mudslide. The lobby bar can get quite lively if there is a football game and they make great mixed drinks.

We did frequent the onsite casino and it was a fun way to make some friends and watch some people win. We also did the 1/2 day rainforest hike which we booked thru the front desk. It was very informative and we learnt a lot. Just be sure to pack a pair of comfortable shoes that you can toss out or wash.

We had a great taxi driver who we used for travelling throughout our stay , he was professional and we would highly recommend him. Lesroy taxi tour and services tel # 869 663 3937. (Tip: if there is a driver you connect with be sure you call him from your room phone versus asking the hotel staff to call.. Hotel staff will usually call and let it ring once and then hang up and suggest their preferred driver. )

We also did a island tour in Nevis, must do and we had a great driver there as well ... stedroy tel# 869 663 0068.

Good hotel but it will be interesting to see how they fair once Koi and Hyatt are on the island.

Enjoy your trip to this stunning island!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Panda228

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Harrison, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I recently stayed at this resort as part of a business trip. I felt the architecture of the main building was beautiful. Especially the staircase. It was very clean, from the grounds to the rooms to the many restaurants. I stayed two nights in a villa and one night in the main building. For myself I prefer the main building because of the balcony off my room. There are many food offerings from bars, a café, a pizza place and several restaurants. I ate at the steak house located on the lower level of the main building. I also ate at Blu which is located beyond one of the pools. Both had very good food. The café in the main building was my favorite. I enjoyed breakfast there twice and a late meal of salad and fruit. There is a coffee bar here with pastries, sandwiches, salads and fresh fruit to go.
There is a casino which I strolled through. The beach has many cabanyas and beach chairs. The sidewalk like paths around the property lend themselves perfectly to a late night stroll. The two pools are large and beautiful.
All of that being said, let me also say this. Everything is on island time. Do not expect your food in a hurry. Service is slow. Friendliness of the staff was 50/50. The grounds people and cleaning staff were pleasant enough. The store staff and some of the restaurant staff...not so much.
Here is a warning to anyone who is sensitive to sodium as I am. Make sure to drink plenty of water or perhaps even speak to your Dr. before you vacation here. I do not add sodium to my food as I have hypertension. However...my feet and ankles swelled up horribly. It was two days after I got home before they were back to normal. I only suffer from this in places where sodium is used heavily as a preservative.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have semi private balconies. There are also elevators which the out villa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This was a great place to spend New Years with friends! The property is nice and exactly what we wanted on this trip. Large property with lots to offer. We had a king suite, which was great for entertaining friends we were traveling with. The pool area was nice, and it never really seemed overcrowded, especially for being a holiday. The beach area is also nice, although it was very windy while we were there.
The hotel did a very good job of taking care of our requests before we arrived and while we were there,

Room Tip: Our 3rd floor, oceanview room was great! Not loud or noisy!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

When we arrived, we had great visions of exploring the island. However, the sun, pool and beach won out. We spent our 8 days in the sun. Our room was in the main hotel and was a nice large Marriott room. If you can't deal with the laid back island, you may find some of the staff disappointing...we found that sometimes they weren't in too much of a hurry. But they were also extremely friendly and helpful when we needed them. There is music in the lobby most evenings and because of the design of the hotel every room will experience it but the music doesn't last very late and is generally enjoyable. Our favorite pool was the South pool because it was very quiet and there were only a few kids. If you are looking for activities, music, ocean view from the pool use the Main pool. Finding a chair at the pool was initially a challenge. The first day we got down there and people had already "reserved" chairs by arriving early and placing their "stuff" on them. We reached out to one of the staff and he helped us find chairs and introduced us to the North and South pools.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann R
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a huge property on the Atlantic side of St. Kitts. Although only about 8 years old, the property on the outside looked tired and the design wasn't great to begin with. Friendly enough staff at the door and the front desk, but no offer of help with our bags, even though the room was far away. The room was large, clean and the bed was great. It was really windy during our two-day trip. The breakfast buffet was good but not great. Same for lunches and dinners. Internet did not work in our room, no phone either, but internet in the lobby worked fine, for free.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bettyobradCA
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have just returned from a week long vacation to the Marriott property on St. Kitts and Nevis. It was FABULOUS and definitely on our list for a return trip. Our hotel room was poolside on floor 3. At first we were concerned because there was an adjoining room that shared a huge balcony / patio area. However, the hotel did not put anyone in that room the week of our stay and they even turned on the light in that room so that we could always see that no one was occupying the room if we looked in from the sliding patio door. Star gazing and early morning lounging on the patio was a favorite activity. There were 2 chaise lounge and 4 regular chairs in this private area that contained as much square footage as the room. I would highly recommend it especially if you need two adjoining rooms. The room had a refrigerator and granite countertops. The beach is on the Atlantic side and it does get very windy. There is a rock jetty that provides a calmer swimming area and there is enough sandy beach to provide plenty of long walk opportunity. The beaches in
St. Kitts are all public but we always felt completely safe and we were seldom approached by vendors. And the vendors always graciously accepted a declined massage, CD or monkey experience. We were approached maybe 3 times the entire week. We spent 2 1/2 days at the hotel beach, 2 days on the Caribbean side at the Carambola Beach Club at Friar's Beach, 1 day Catamaran snorkel/sail to Nevis with Blue Water (hotel arrangements), 1/2 day Zipline with Sky Safari (hotel arrangements) + 1/2 day Stand Up Paddle tour with Michael and Chris, water sports at the Shipwreck.

These were the keys to our vacation success:

1) Barry Wyatt, Barry Wyatt, Barry Wyatt (barrywyatt_69@hotmail.com, 869-760-0734) - we cannot say enough good things about Barry's transportation services. He is an independent driver whose priority is that you have a good time on your vacation. No sitting around the resort for your entire visit as he wants guests to experience the beauty of the island. He shared island history as he drove to locations that we knew about and locations that he suggested. Barry is fairly priced, punctual, a family man (if you are lucky you may get to meet Barry's wife and/or two sons), and compared to some of the transfers we experienced with the hotel arranged excursions, we realized that he takes his time getting you to your destination and is very safe. He charged the same price to take us to the Caribbean side of the island even though he stopped for us to take pictures along the way. Contact Barry via email or phone and he will pick you up at the airport and take care of you during your stay until he drives you to your departure flight.
2) Spratnet - this is a Barry suggested local restaurant on the Northwest Caribbean side of St. Kitts near Old Road; the owners are also the fishermen. We had freshly caught lobster along with swordfish that never even made it to the refrigerator - boat to grill to plate. The drive is a mini-island tour in itself.
3) Shipwreck/Jam Rock/Carambola Beach Club - have Barry drop you at Shipwreck (Caribbean side of the island) in the morning and pick you up around 5:30pm. Walk along the beach from the Shipwreck to Carambola to spend the day. Eat lunch / have fruity drinks at Jam Rock (will accept a credit card). Walk back to see the monkey family eat (10-15 of them will come down from the hills) at Shipwreck around 5pm and watch them until 5:30 while enjoying conch fritters / Carib from Shipwreck (cash only). Perfect day. We enjoyed this so much we did it twice.
4) Stand Up Paddle Tour - arrange this with Michael at Shipwreck or michford2@gmail.com - they will arrange a taxi to take you to White House Bay and you will snorkle for 45 minutes and then Stand Up Paddle back to the Shipwreck (takes 1 - 1 1/2 hours - a mile via water); do this late afternoon around 3pm and you will make it back to the Shipwreck in time to see the monkeys again. Chris led the snorkling and took us to spots where we saw sea turtles and tons of starfish. Chris also provided excellent instruction. Michael followed in a safety boat with all the items we wanted to keep dry AND he took pictures. Hands down the best excursion of the week.
5) Reggae Beach Bar Friday Night Lobster Fest - Barry will make your reservations. Go early (6pm reservation) unless you want to staylate for the bonfire and party.
6) Skip Rituals coffee (walking distance from Marriott) and go directly to Calypso Cafe in the Marriott lobby area - prices are comparable at the counter (restaurant is higher), food is better.
7) RAM grocery store is walking distance just past the Rituals coffee/sushi bar restaurant parking lot and has large water containers that fit in the refrigerator as well as sodas / candy bars / sunscreen etc.
8) Rock Lobster is a good restaurant that is walking distance from the Marriott - don't go for lobster, have that at Spratnet or Reggae Beach Bar, but there are lots of other great options.

St. Kitts and Nevis is an excellent destination for fairly undeveloped, safe, quiet, beach experiences. Feel free to contact me for additional suggestions and/or questions.

Room Tip: 392/394 have a shared double balcony patio area with a partial ocean view. Contains chaise lounges...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank graypg
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am a loyal MVCI owner and have own several properties and points, our first purchase being 8 years or so ago. In 2010 we bought at the Marriott St. Kitts Beach Club sight unseen because I trust the Marriott brand and because I had fallen in love with St. Kitts nearly 20 years earlier while there on business for two weeks. I thought the two would be an unbeatable combination. We first stayed here in August, 2011 and it was the worst MVCI experience I have ever had, (see my review "Worst MVCI Experience Ever" from 2011 for details). We decided to give the resort another try, because I still love St. Kitts and I hoped to get my family to see what I love about the place. I knew the biggest stumbling block would be whether the Marriott was able to fix the things that were very wrong in 2011. All I can say is "What a difference 15 months can make." When I returned from my trip in 2011 I sent a letter to MVCI and did receive a satisfactory response. However, it appears they listened to me, and I am sure other owners, about things that were just not up to Marriott standards at the St. Kitts property. Things were so different on this visit that I was blown away.

The most noticeable difference was with the staff. Everyone was wonderful throughout our visit – from the doorman; to the bell staff; to the front desk staff; to the wait staff in the restaurants; to the housekeeper; to the groundskeepers. Everyone offered a smile, a greeting, and a thanks for staying here. They made staying there a joy.

On New Year's Eve the hotel and timeshare held an "Extravaganza" with a buffet; open bar; band; champagne toast; and fireworks at midnight. Based on my 2011 experience I was skeptical about their ability to pull off such a large event, (nearly 500 attendees). They did a great job. The food was very good and plentiful. The bar was well stocked. The band was great. My family, including kids aged 19. 17. 15 and 9, had a blast, as did me and the wife. The only downside was the AC did not seem to be working in the ballroom as well as it should have been for that size crowd on a hot evening in the Caribbean.

There are still some minor issues with the resort. For instance the buildings clearly need some TLC. However, I also noticed that even this is ongoing. There were even crews painting the exterior of some of the buildings on New Year's Day.

Minor issues aside, this place is trending in the right direction and I will not hesitate to return. In fact, my client has already said they would like to return to the resort the same week next year.

Great turnaround Marriott! This shows why your company is so successful. You listen to your loyal customoers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Timothy Beach Resort
Timothy Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!