“The ANTI-Vacation”

St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
“The ANTI-Vacation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2004

The Marriott web site for this actual hotel boasts "water sports" on site- this outright lie is indicitive of this hotel's service. Not only is the staff incompetent, untrained, rude, inattentive and unhappy, the management is as well. Our experience at this hotel was tremendously frustrating, from the lack of wait staff, lack of food, soda and coffee (they ran out), unwillingness to honor confirmed dinner reservations and requirement of proof of deposits left for rooms reserved (until proof was proferred, they accused our travel agent of theft), and the most eggregious, incorrect charges that pepetually went unremoved from our and many other guests' bills (even after admitting the fact that charges were not attributable to our rooms or even in our name, the hotel continued to charge us $900.00 for Alcohol they claimed our eight year old child consumed one morning-at 2 AM! After TWO days of arguing, my husband had to threaten to call the police, for their serving alcohol to a minor, before they would "allow us" to speak with the manager about the bogus charge. Needless to say,even after the manager admitted the charge was not ours-it took him five additional days to remove it. This "vacation" was simply an exercise in frustration.
Marriott, shame on you.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2004

This past weekend we went to St. Kitts for a business/pleasure trip. The Marriott was absolutely beautiful with great accomodations. Our rooms were very nice and had everything we could want. There are a few pools, with the main one offering a swim-up bar. For breakfast each day we enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the Calypso Restaurant & Cafe. If you go, ask for Blondell for your server, she is quick, friendly and will keep you entertained. Everyone we met on this island was extremely warm and welcoming. In most cases the service was slower than we are used to in the states, but not horrible. My only real dissapointment was the bar by the pool. We dined at the Bohemia Bar & Grill for lunch one day and had a great lunch. From Shrimp to Ribs, we enjoyed it all. Most of all, I enjoyed my drink which was a Mojito, a blend of fresh mint, rum, sugar cane & soda. The next day though, they didn't have the ingredients to make this particular drink. That first day they ran out of draft beer and pina colada mix. We did have a large group, most of them big drinkers, but they should have had enough stock to accommodate us. I highly recommend the Marriott and would also suggest Greg's Safaris if you decide to go on a Rain Forest or Plantation tour. We did have a problem with the tour person at the hotel who kept trying to get us on a tour with another company, however we had heard about Greg's Safaris and wanted to go with them. Overall the Marriott is great and would recommend a stay there if you are looking for luxury on this tiny island.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2004

The VERY LARGE property of the Marriott Resort and Casino in St. Kitts was beautiful. Almost too large for the small island. Although many staff members were imported, many of the locals employed had a bit of difficulty with tasks. We fully support the idea of their employment and believe with time the "kinks" will be worked out. We would like to revisit in a few years and I believe this property will be outstanding!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Somerset, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2004

This hotel is run poorly and the service is really, really bad. Staff just doesn't care nor do they respond to complaints. I just gave up. There are many flies and mosquitos and I got tired of competing with the flies for my food. This is true of inside restaurants as well. There are no screens in the room either and I was in a Deluxe oceanfront. There is construction all over including a back hoe on the beach. Since the hotel is open air, the construction noise is all over. I called before and was assured that construction is complete. Don't be fooled! They ran out of Diet Coke at the pool bar and coffee in the coffee shop. The breakfast at Blu is supposed to be the same as The Calypso but it is not..although they charge the same and say "It is identical". There are no omelettes, no cheese tray nor smoked salmon. When I spoke to the front desk manager she replied...."Well, why didn't you leave?" The arrogance is rampant. Marriott should send in trained personnel. It is not fair to charge top resort dollar and offer Motel 6 service. I would never return. The hotel is huge with about 20 garden building in front of the main building which do not have elevators. Be prepared to walk up 1 - 2 flights of stairs and there are catwalks around the outside of most rooms. There are so many blue plastic huts on the beach that the view of the ocean from the ground level is obscured. There is no beverage service on the beach and some days you have to lug your own chaise. It is huge, much too huge for a Caribbean island. Don't waste your time or rewards on this Disney-like hotel. I couldn't wait to leave. Incentive tours and gambling junkets are the major guests and since these people don't pay for the hotel there isn't much they can complain about. Be aware that taxis are needed to go anywhere on this island and are very expensive. Some restaurants are $40 - $60 round trip. All in all, this is a major disaster.

10 Thank Sari G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2004

in all....this is my third time to st. kitts. I have seen the developement of this resort, the beginning, middle and end. I must say from my heart that it has captured my soul, the grounds, the architectural structure, the design, the foyer,the casino...the game room, just all that you see is amazing. My children and I were so overwhelmed with the site and still can't believe what a beautiful creation. I must say that I didn't not have the opportunity to stay in one of the rooms but did visit with friends that stayed there. I must admit...it is priceyif you plan to eat there, the service is not what we as canadians expect. With time this will become one of the top resorts. And I am *** proud of the finished project. I compliment the workers they know who they. A JOB WELL DONE.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2004

I arrived on the 10th of January and I am sitting in my hotel room a week later with the sliding doors wide open, a warm breeze coming through and the sound of the ocean in the background. The hotel has just been open a few months, and the staff have never worked in a hotel, give them time to adjust to

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Timothy Beach Resort
Timothy Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!