“More than expected”

St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 7 night stay in the one bedroom royal suite golf view on the 5th floor. Our room was much nicer than expected and while we did not have an ocean view room, we did have a great view of the mountains and you could also see the ocean from our balcony so we were very happy to have upgraded to the suite, it was well worth it. The staff was wonderful and the beach and pool was filled with chairs and shaded huts for no additional charge. We spent a few hours every night in the casino and were able to play for a long time on a little bit of money. My husband also hit a few bigger jackpots which kept us going back. We also learned upon checkout that if you have credits on the casino advantage card you can redeem for a credit to your final hotel bill. We ended up getting $112.00 credit back towards our bill which was great. The food is a bit pricey but unlike other resorts we've stayed at most of the food was very good. The pizza shack and the seafood restaurants were our favorite. Are only complaint during our entire stay was with the on site car rental "Hertz". We had reserved a car for the week but could not pick it up on our scheduled day because no one was in the office. Several other couples had waited for hours and we kept checking back which wasted a good part of our day but no one was ever there. The following morning after waiting for almost an hour I was told that they did not have a car for us as a result of others extending their return date. We were then given a car later that afternoon but after our first drive down the street we quickly came back. The car was in bad shape and the breaks we not working correctly. They did give us a full refund with the exception of the $25.00 temporary license which we did not need because after all the wasted time dealing with the car rental, we did not even ask to get another, and they did not offer. We were surprised to find that the locals were as friendly as the hotel staff. With the exception of a few, every encounter we had with the residents of St. Kitts were as nice as could be. I highly recommend the Zip Line tour which can be booked directly through the hotel. Well worth the money and one of the coolest things we've ever done. Would love to come back to this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are close to everything if you don't want to be far from the fun
2  Thank kitchena
Write a ReviewReviews (3,226)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I visited St. Kitts with Air Canada Vacations from Toronto and really enjoyed the Marriott. The grounds, the beach, the rooms.....the food was excellent and we would rate the food and the customer service just slightly below a Sandals. We really enjoyed it. Dinners are all at a-la-carte restaurants and we ate at the Italian twice, the Steak house once and the Seafood restaurant 4 times. Thank goodness we paid for the all-inclusive option because dinners were generally $200, lunches about $75 and breakfast $55. And of course our drinks would have been on top of that.

The weather was 82 to 83F every day-just amazing!!

We hired a driver for half a day and he gave us a tour of the island-to be honest-not alot to see. Saw the old fort (Brimstone Hill), the black rocks (from lava flows) and downtown-downtown is UGLY-reminds me of Antigua's port-very ugly port and downtown area for what are otherwise beautiful islands. St. Kitts is abit rugged and hilly but beautiful-reminded us of St. Lucia actually.

We also spent a day on Nevis, St. Kitt's sister island-a 45-minute ferry ride each way. But a smooth ride so all was good! Nevis is TINY but quite beautiful-the famous Nevis Four Seasons Resort is there and we also saw a former sugar plantation, etc.

Our favorite day was spent at Shipwreck Beach which is where the Atlantic and the Caribbean meet-gorgeous. As it was a non-cruise ship day we had the beach totally to ourselves except for one other couple at the other end of the beach. We hung out at the Carambola Beach Club but walked over to the Shipwreck Beach Bar for lunch-so cool-you could swear that Johnny Depp could have walked in as Captain Jack and fit right in. They even had wild monkeys hanging out there. And the food was fantastic-and so cheap!

Of course we were delayed coming home because of the storm in Toronto on Friday so we actually didn't fly out until Saturday morning. Would have been nice except we spent at least half the day at the airport waiting for Air Canada Vacations to decide if they were going to cancel the flight on Friday-which they eventually did.That in itself is another story of miscommunication!!

All in all, great time and a great hotel!!

5  Thank Canada2009_9
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of Marriotts in the world but never a Marriott resort and I feel you can tell the difference straight away.

Our room was large and very clean but the "resort view" overlooked the air con vents (to be fair there was a discount when we complained).

Everywhere was very clean and tidy but the service was a bit hit and miss. Sometimes overbearing by the pool and sometimes non-existent.

My biggest gripe was the pay culture for everything, in particular the wifi when it is free at the coffee shop down the road which led us to take breakfast there each day. A perverse Marriott incentive. There was also a culture to push the Marriott organised trips as opposed to offering advice if wanting to go it alone. It might be a British thing but literally everything has a service charge added, drinks by the pool and even the room itself.

Don't get me wrong we had a nice time there but spent less and less time and money at the resort as the week went on, which probably tells its own story. I'd highly recommend walking over the Caribbean beaches about 30 mins away near Carambola, far nicer and what we were expecting.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew J
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel property is an oasis in the otherwise pretty bleak landscape! The service is a bit off, but it's St. Kitts. You get used to it! My room was very clean, and well appointed, but the air conditioner was freezing cold, and even when I turned it off, in the morning it was still a chilly 63 degrees in the room! I am glad I only stayed 2 nights as a result. The food in the restaurants is expensive and very mediocre. The beach is ok. Not the hotel's fault, but didn't make me go "wow". From a Caribbean standard I was disappointed. Not the calm crystal clear water you would expect on the Caribbean sea side. More like a sheltered Atlantic side in comparison. As a result I resorted to running on the beach rather than swimming for exercise!! I would recommend this hotel if you really want to go to St. Kitts!! But it's far from paradise.

Room Tip: Watch out for Garden view. It's more like a wall view. Select a sea view if you can. The pool is...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Nicholas K
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a very nice property and you will enjoy a full array of amenities and wonderful service and staff. The entire island is warm and friendly and the people here are genuinely happy that you are here. We stayed in both the out-buildings and main hotel tower and there are pluses and minuses to both. As to the towers, the pluses are that the view gets more and more terrific the higher you go, but the flip side is that if you are on the mountain side there will be limited breeze and the late afternoon sun will be directly in your room. As to the out-buildings, few will have views of the ocean. Most will face the various pools or courtyards. However, if you want you can actually open your doors and let the breezes cool your room, particularly at night. Although the resort is large, it is very quiet.

There are a number of restaurants on premises and a decent beach bar. The large pool offers the party atmosphere with load music and activities. There are two smaller pools (north and south) that are much quieter. We spent our time while on premises on the beach. There are numerous tent tops with 3-4 lounge chairs under each, but most of the ocean front ones seemed to get taken by folks before 10am with the occupants arriving through the morning.

We dined at the seafood restaurant on the beach and the Italian on the 2nd floor - they have hotel prices but reliable quality of food. We thought the Italian was reasonably priced. There is a little cafe where sandwiches, fruit salads, mufffins and coffee can be purchased each morning and next to it is a full service restaurant, but be prepared for typical hotel $30+ breakfasts. There are, however, a number of options to dine off premises including a coffee house about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and a Cafe along the "Strip" which is a 15-20 minute walk. There are also a number of restaurants - everything being along the same road and all walkable.

The hotel location itself is good as taxis work mainly under a fixed fee system with a ride to town being $12 before tip. Other restaurants are also within the $12 range. We didn't rent a car due to the $24 license, cost of petrol, and fear of driving a stick with a left hand on the "wrong" side of the road. Personally, I am the driver and am glad that we opted for taxis as it gave me a chance to enjoy the beauty of the island and thoroughly enjoy dinner libations without fear of the drive home. Taxis are interesting here as most people acclimate to a single driver who will then gladly pick you up whenever and whereever you want. The dialect is very hard to understand, so find a driver whose English you can comprehend. We used Debbis Carty 18697601518 and she was professional, friendly and reliable.

There is a cash machine in the casino and one among the stores within the building. The hotel has nearly anything you need - at resort hotel prices - but after all, it is a resort hotel.

4  Thank Stepsite
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in st. Kitts and were pleasantly surprised by the location proximity to the airport. 10 min. Tops. Great!!!
The resort was absolutely beautiful. The beach might be on of the biggest I have ever been on.
If you go you must get pizza from the pizza shack poolside. The only downfall is service. All week long I found myself trying to justify waiting for food or drink for this long. I know we're on island time but 20 min after I order standing at the bar???????? I literally saw servers talking about personal things while my drinks are sitting there melting in the carribean sun. Jeez. St. Kitts better fix this attitude if the want to be a vacation destination. It was this way on almost every place we visited. But as far as the resort goes very acceptable by the islands standards.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank travelintroutts
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the St Kitts Marriott! I will admit that I had some hesitations after reading mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, so we were very pleased! Upon arrival we were greeted with rum punch and smiles all around! The front desk was very helpful with finding us the best possible room per our Marriott Rewards, and he even helped us to our room to make sure it was to our liking. We stayed in a room in building 2, spacious with a large shared balcony, not much of a view, but well appointed and clean. Only complaint with the room was the lack of an elevator to get to the 3rd floor with luggage; and I don't mind taking the stairs usually, but these really were quite a steep grade!

We enjoyed the beach and pool with swim up bar! Never had a problem finding a chair at either like some of the reviews have stated, and the front desk had even mentioned they had a pretty full house that week. Guest services were very helpful in setting up dinner reservations off of the property (most places require reservations, however we found out that you can usually call in the early evening and still get in that night). We ate at the Cafe and Bohemia for lunch and both were pretty good. We went off property for dinners after comparing menus to see what looked best to us (guest services desk has menus for all the restuarants around--never had a bad meal on the island). We were disappointed to see that the Cigar Bar had closed, however Julian at the Lobby bar makes a great martini! You will hear people talk about the locals "being on island time", but it was rare that we did have a wait for anything! I think its important to remember everybody is working and you aren't their only customer! I did get myself into the gym several days, it was a good size but usually pretty full in the mornings.

You are at a resort, so be prepared to pay a little more for food and drinks, as well as a resort fee. The only fee I thought was a little excessive was the wifi fee. Also, we like to get out and about and explore on vacations, and I thought we would be able to walk around to other places more (I didn't do good research there) but a taxi is needed for most places. I think it was about $8 down to "The Strip" at Frigate Bay, $16 downtown to Basseterre, and $24 to Cockellshell Beach (my favorite).

I must say that the people of St Kitts made the biggest and best impression on us! We were typically greeted with a smile, asked how our day was going/if we could be helped, even met some staff that were off duty downtown and they greeted us by name when we saw them the next day at the hotel! We love the Kittitian spirit and hope to visit again in the future!

THANK YOU!

Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!