“Second stay at the Marriott”

St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was our second stay at the Marriott October 03-08, 2012. Our first visit to this resort was back in 2005. We traveled with a group of 11 adults.

The party we were traveling with requested 4 ocean view rooms, and for some reason the resort would only give us 2. I have a hard time believing the resort was booked to capacity. We stayed in a garden view room on the second floor. Our room was nice, plenty of storage space and the bathroom was clean. The beds are very comfortable as well. Several in our party had complaints that the air conditioning in their room was not doing its job. Our A/C was okay, not great, but okay. I found housekeeping to be below average.

I thought the resort has improved in some ways since our last visit 7 years ago. The lobby was much cleaner, and the furniture was nicer and in better condition.

We had a difficult time getting dinner reservations at the resort for our party of 11, and ended up eating quite late. Again, the resort was not that busy, I am not really sure why we had to eat so late. We ate at La Cucina one evening which everyone appeared to enjoy. we ate at the steakhouse another evening which was really good. They took us about 45 minutes late from our reservation time, and the manager appeared upset and frustrated that we were still dining after their closing time. Very unprofessional. We ate breakfast a few times at the buffet and it is still mediocre at best, service is very slow. I finally figured out just to order 2 beverages at a time, that way I didn't have to wait for a refill. It was also very hot inside the breakfast restaurant.

The Marriott is a huge resort, almost too big for my taste. the grounds are absolutely beautifully landscaped. Lots of palm trees and heavenly plumeria. We never made it to the pools or the Marriott beach other than to look at them, the pools were lit up beautifully at night.

St. Kitts is a beautiful island. It has only been catering to tourism for abut 7 years after the government decided to stop growing sugar cane. I was sad and disappointed to see some of the changes that has taken place since our last visit there. It is well worth your time to rent a car for at least a dat and drive around the island. You can drive around the entire island and see all the sights at a leisurely pace in about 4 hours or less. I highly recommend stopping at Ottleys Plantation Inn for a drink on their porch. Unfortunately Ottleys was not open when were were there, a big disappointment. Brimstone Hill fortress is a UNESCO world heritage site, well worth a visit. Romney Manor and Caribelle Batik is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. The gardens are stunning, a must see!
Sadly, there is a disease killing off the palm trees on the island. There used to be a spectacular coconut grove with beautiful views of Stacia and Saba, but all of the trees are dead. I was heartbroken to see this.
The Southern peninsula has also undergone some major changes, it is no longer a quiet place with secluded beaches, goats, cows and monkeys. It has been all done up for the cruise ships that come into port. We did enjoy the Reggae beach bar at Cockelshell Bay. They play great music and have excellent pina colodas. A big frustration for my husband and I was that we are avid snorkelers, and could not get out on an excursion due to it being off season. This was an issue for us 7 years ago also. We took our gear and went out on our own in Cockelshell Bay. We swam near the rocks to the left of Reggae Beach bar, it was not the best snorkeling ever, but we did see some neat things.

I find the Kittitian people to be somewhat standoffish, which was the case 7 years ago. We are not rude tourists while on vacation, being polite to everyone we meet along the way. MAybe people will warm up as tourism continues to grow.

It is well worth going to Nevis for a day. It is beautiful, completely laid back with a different vibe than St. Kitts. We were treated to an amazing day at the Hermitage Plantation Inn, which I will review separately.

All in all, St. Kitts is a good island to visit, and the Marriott is an okay place to stay. I do hope to return again someday.

2  Thank ebet123

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My partner and I had an amazing vacation here. We were on the top floor in a suite and the breeze at night was amazing. The Hotel is very big and yes there is no elevator, but the atrium is pretty and the sun shining in was great. The casino is small and not noisy at all. The staff was amazing and friendly and made our stay comforting. Up the road there are many good restaurants within walking distance. They are easy on the pockets and have great food. We received an unexpected surprise when walking to dinner the last night and we heard music across the pond. We walked all the way to the end of the road and it was a restaurant with a dance floor on the second floor(Not sure of the name). Apparently all of the med students on the Island come here Saturday night. We had an amazing amazing dinner and night of dancing.

A few things to be aware of. As with any Islands that you visit in this area, the woman have a very stern and stoic demeanor when you first meet them, however, it simply requires a little conversation to see how beautiful and kind they are. I was amazed how beautiful and sweet the woman on this Island are and for that this is a staple in our vacation plans.

As a dedicated Marriott member, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

When yhou are at the Marriott Resort, you are in danger of missing the rest of St Kitts. It's all here; fantastic and well groomed beach, wonderful pool complex, restaurants and bars, gym, spa, and a casino. Comfortable rooms, and we were fortunate to be in the main building. It can be a longish walk to some rooms. Food is always expensive on most islands, but I felt some of the prices were a bit over the top.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the manl building
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank skyhoosier
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked our trip via an American Airlines package so I don't know what the room actually cost. I am a Marriott gold elite rewards traveller and that status has been because of my business travel. The last time I was at a Marriott resort was over 10 years ago. I like Marriotts because they have always been predictable.
When we checked in, I showed my gold card and they gave us a complimentary upgrade and free internet. The room was nice, good size and nice features. A tropical storm was just passing through and we discovered a leak in our room. A trickle of water ran down the wall. Towels on the floor kept it under control.
Food was average but over priced and service was spotty. The first night we ate dinner at the Marriott. The first restaurant we told since we didn't have a reservation, we had to wait another two hours for a table - even though the place was less that a quarter occupied. The next restaurant seated us. Dinner, with the cheapest bottle of wine, was $150 and food was average. After that we went out eat every night.
They keep the grounds clean. People always mopping and raking. But when you look at the facility, there is little maintenance going on. Plenty of mildew on the stucco walls, the light fixtures on the ceiling outside have dead bugs in them, fire extinguishers are rusted (wouldn't pass a US fire inspection), a hand rail on the steps down to the beach was rusted off and hasn't been replaced. On the day we left, I was standing outside waiting for our taxi and noticed the flags the Marriott has in the front. All the national flags that were flying were in good condition. But the Marriott flag that was flying, the red Marriott color was faded and the flag was tattered. That summed up the Marriott St Kitts Resort to me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brent516
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice, big hotel. Fast service during check-in, and room service.
Clean room and they smells great.
Very comfortable beds, had a very good nights rest.
pools look great.
Someone mentioned that food is expensive here, I don't mind paying as my stay is just for a few days. It tastes very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NadiaST
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My family and I stayed at this resort for about a week and a half in early October, and were very pleased with how things went. We have stayed at big resorts in Jamaica several times, so this was our first trip to another Caribbean island. We found most of the comments in previous reviews to be generally accurate with regards to the beaches and the prices. The service we experienced was very good, but we are low maintenance travelers and nothing really went really wrong.

First, the beaches: There is indeed seaweed on the beaches, but the volume of greenery was greatest first thing in the morning, and after being cleaned, was nothing that would interfere with enjoying the beaches and water. It’s very fine stuff, and not the huge nasty kelp plants I’m used to seeing S. California or the yucky detritus on Texas Gulf Coast beaches. The resort runs a large mechanical rake pulled behind a tractor across the beaches every morning, but by the afternoon, there are small amounts of seaweed back on the beaches. I don’t know if they re-run the rake in the evenings, but the beach was very well managed, and I was relieved it wasn’t such a big deal. The water is clear and warm; Calm close to the shore, and more rough as you approached the artificial rocky breakwall about 50 yards out in the ocean. There is a fair amount of sea life near the rocks and you won’t be disappointed if your snorkel, but the water is too rough to snorkel close to the breakwall for any length of time. If you want to see and calmly enjoy massive quantities of fish, you need to take a separate snorkel tour. Before arriving, we were concerned that we would have to rent the cabanas (i.e. small picnic tables with shade structures over them) and/or beach chairs like on some beaches in Florida, but they are all free. Find a spot, and plop down. There are many spots to choose from.

The pools: There are two major pools. One HUGE pool that you see in most of the photos, and one smaller pool (big, but not a mega-pool) away from the center of the action within the condo area. Both pools are well kept, and after the morning cleanings, are nice the remainder of the day. The mega-pool has a swim-up bar, and it’s shallow enough for both adults and kids to play. We didn’t spend much time in the pools, but didn’t take dips at the end of beach sessions in order to remove sand.

The restaurants: The service was usually slow, but the Italian, Steak, and Outdoor Generic-Food (burgers, wings, etc) restaurants served unusually good food for what we came in expecting. There were no “general buffets” for lunch and dinner like at resorts in Jamaica, though breakfast is a buffet with standard American fair. Lunch and Dinner are always ordered off a menu, no matter the resturant. We didn’t bother with the seafood restaurant, since a LOT of people we met said they had poor experiences there. Getting INTO the restaurants requires reservations, which I recommend making the day you arrive, even if you’re not sure where you want to eat. Early time slots go fast, and if you’re not careful, you will end up with 9pm slots. If that’s your bag, then go for it, but we tended to eat early. Also, I saw lots of people waiting outside the restaurants for a seat, far past their assigned timeslot, since all the folks before them experienced that famously slow Caribbean service. Also, don’t expect to get out of lunch under $60 for two, unless you just order a pizza at the pizza-shack and water. The on-site restaurants will knock you back at least $100 for two, for dinner. I HIGHLY recommend the all-inclusive option, which is what we did. We did get off site a little bit, but didn’t eat in town much. I was told in-town food was slightly cheaper, but not much.

The island: We took a catamaran snorkel tour, which was great. Some friends took a private half-day snorkel tour offered by a guy walking the beach with a picture-book of his boat and the services he offered. While they got a good deal (way better than the resort tour desk), they got too much sun, and ended up sick the next day. The catamaran tour was just long enough for our kids to see lots of fish, and just short enough that they didn’t overwork themselves. The catamaran anchored on the leeward side of the island (the Caribbean Ocean side), which was much calmer than the Atlantic side. We also took a taxi ride to the center of Basseterre (about $25 US) and walked down to the tourist-trap shops that cater to the cruise ships. We would have been VERY careful had we been in the center of Montego Bay or Ocho Rios, but we felt very safe here. There was no ship in the day we were there, so things were nice and quiet, and shopping was very pleasant. We took a tour of the island and went up to the fort, which was also very nice (the soldier’s graffiti from 1798 was extremely cool). I also took a chartered fishing trip, which cruised most of the length of the Caribbean side of the island. Also very nice.

Internet was $80/7 days (all USD of course), and the WiFi worked very well in the rooms and common areas. You get two or three IP Address with each internet purchase, meaning you can put two or three iPads/laptops/etc on one internet account. If you have more than two or three devices, you can request additional IP Addresses from the tech folks on-site. Some of our friends had several kids, each with internet capable game devices, and they requested (and received) 5 or 6 IP Addresses with their internet purchase. Regarding the casino: We didn’t hit the casino, but a friend won several hundred dollars there.

Overall, getting to experience something other than Jamaica was wonderful, and while this place was more costly than previous ones, it was well worth the time and money spent.

HINT: Buy your duty free alcohol as you arrive in St. Kitts, at the tiny hole-in-the-wall duty free shop near where you get your luggage. Duty free on the way out is “OK”, but not even close to the deals you get when you’re coming in. Duty free at the cruise ship terminal is also “OK”, but still not as good a deal when you’re coming in. And if you don’t get the all inclusive package at the hotel, expect to pay $10/drink, which makes buying your own booze as you arrive an even better deal. I got a litter of Appleton VX Rum for $10 US, among other nice finds. There is a small duty free shop within walking distance of the resort, and you can also hit this place up, since the prices I saw there were almost as competitive as the airport shop.

Room Tip: If you have kids, stay away from rooms close to the lobby. When cruises come in, the bands run unti...
5  Thank wbcooksey
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just spent 1 1/2 weeks at the Marriott in St Kitts and overall it is a gorgeous resort. We were upgraded to the Grand Suite, which was awesome in every way, EXCEPT for the mattress. The mattress for our bed was a black hole that sucked you into it's huge crater of a dip and caused back pain and a horrible night's sleep. The front desk responded quickly to our request/complaint and replaced the mattress with a slightly better one. It felt like they just grabbed a less used one from another room for us that was still VERYsoft, as in I sunk in a good 2 inches. Didn't wake up with as much back pain, but still woke up 3 or 4 times during the night.
The food is below average to average, food service is BELOW average, with 1 1/2 hours for meal service being fast, and over 3 hours being the longest we experienced. For lunch and dinner we were most often waiting 2 hours for full dining experience, which often forces you to do more of the "fast" food options, that still take close to an hour or more. This was very frustrating when having to feed a young child, and wanting to have fun activities during the day. Slow service quickly becomes a huge aggravation. My opinion, when tip is always included, there is no motivation to give exceptional service. There are about 5 or so places to eat on the facility, and when locked into a meal plan or all inclusive, you are fairly stuck. The plans are the way to go, simply because the $75 breakfast is same cost as the 3 meal a day plan. Prices are just absurd, even for an island that has to ship in foods. I did have some enjoyable food that tasted good while here, but very often the food was bland, overcooked, over seasoned, or cooked when it should have been served cold. I had grouper that made me think I was chewing on a rubber tire with cream sauce, but then had Mahi-mahi that tasted decent (not amazing but enjoyable.) I consider myself a foodie so I'm a bit critical of food, but I think that most people would not desire chewing on fish that normally should be flaky and you have to cut with a knife and work at chewing. The steak house overcooked the steaks, I'd heard this up front and so I anticipated this and asked for medium rare to get my desired medium that came out light pink throughout, it was not far from medium well though. The steak had little to no juice which for medium is just wrong on a filet, and there was no flavor. It tasted like they added no salt or anything while cooking. Steak really doesn't need much and in my experience you have to try to fail at cooking a steak, and imho they failed miserably. I felt like I was consuming a protein substitute and not a filet mignon. Now I heard rave reviews from many other friends staying here so perhaps I just visited all the wrong places at the wrong times, but over half of my dining experiences ended in an overall disappointment. Desserts were HORRIBLE, I had a tiramisu that tasted like rubbery cool whip with ice-cream and a wafer crust, it was served still frozen so not prepared on site, and simply nasty. Kid's meals were comprised of 90% fried foods and starches. Now I know that the majority of America feeds their kids chicken nuggets and French fries, so most will be ok. However we have a kid that likes variety and hates fried foods (wish I did), so feeding her became a challenge after first couple of days, we ended up just making the meal plan for two work for the three of us and it was still a headache. Chicken Caesar salad wraps were cooked like a Panini... cooked iceberg lettuce (cheap replacement for romaine) tastes awful btw. Chicken salad sandwiches on naan bread tasted fairly good when they didn't try to again cook it like a Panini. It's almost like they thought that everyone always loves Panini's so let's just cook every sandwich we make like one unless they learn to always tell them not too. It's very much like the servers are on some sort of auto-pilot, but were given a horrible script to follow. For the final complaint about food service and quality, I come to the replacements. Instead of coming back and telling you, "we are very sorry but our espresso machine is broken," they simply try to steam hot milk and serve with coffee. You will receive a mixed green salad and as they set it down they MIGHT mention, "oh we ran out of other greens so we used iceberg instead." They were constantly running out of food items or things were breaking and the limited choices kept shrinking. It is evident that this is very common by their behavior of trying to substitute and see if it can slip by without the customer noticing.
The beach is beautiful, the island is neat to drive around which can be done in less than half a day including stopping to see the sights. This is really a place you can visit for a few days and get everything it has to offer out of it, but it's not really anything you can't get elsewhere for less $ and better quality food/amenities. The above mentioned issues are simply to major a detractor to warrant a return visit IMHO. I enjoyed my visit mainly because of the people that I came with, and the beach was nice, but it wasn't any better than other Caribbean sites and I won't be returning.
Not a fault of the hotel, but the sand here is like super glue... as in after hitting the beach/ocean, showering off outside and then hitting the pool for an hour or so, expect to still be removing sand from your body in your room shower, and getting grit in your soap. Hooray for daily soap replacement!

Room Tip: The Grande Suite was nice except for the mattress... highly recommend it as opposed to other availab...
1  Thank KungfuMonk3y
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!