“Great family hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Los Angeles
“Great family hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had read all the reviews before going to this resort and quite frankly I'm assuming the negative reviews come from those that aren't well traveled. The resort is beautiful. We paid more to have an oceanfront suite and it was well worth it. The rooms were huge and the view spectacular. The rest of the resort was equally nice and we enjoyed every minute of our 7 night stay the second week of July, 2012. There is seaweed in the Atlantic ocean surrounding St. Kitts. If you don't like seaweed, don't go to St. Kitts (especially the Atlantic side). The Marriott does what they can to remove it, but it's just there and impossible to remove completely. For those that find it expensive, you are right. I have never stayed at a nice resort in the Caribbean that isn't. This resort offers an all-inclusive package which we opted for and found that it was worth every penny. The service is a bit slow at times, which is typical of this part of the world. We found that if you smiled and treated the staff politely that they treated you the same in return.

We took a taxi cab tour of the island. Great way to do it! The hotel can arrange it or you can do it yourself.

My children went zip lining. They said it was great!

We took the catamaran snorkeling trip one morning. It was ok. The boat ride was great and the crew was great. The snorkeling was so-so. I wish they'd taken us to a place where there was more sea life.

Go to any of the beaches if you have the time. It's great fun!

All in all it was a great vacation and we'd love to go back.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are fantastic!
5 Thank la2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and i and our two children ages 13 and 9 stayed for 5 nights over the 4th of July. We were very impressed with the quality of rooms and size of this resort. The rooms looked brand new and were very clean. The hotel blew it though with service and integrity.

Every time we tried to order a drink or a meal we were met with terrible service that was incredibly slow and indifferent. The outdoor bars were completely understaffed. Most servers we encountered acted like they just hated their jobs and resented our presence, no matter how polite we were. And- on our last day we had an encounter that completely soured our experience. My son ordered from the kids menu which clearly states "soda, juice or milk is included" in the price of the meal. When we got our bill i noticed a charge for my son's soda. Questioned the waitress who took our issue to the supervisor on duty. The supervisor sent the waitress back to us with the explanation that only certain flavors of soda were included(my sons Ting was actually cheaper than any other soda so this made no sense whatsoever). We also were charged full price for happy hour drinks on more than one occassion and had to have bill adjusted after a confrontation. Not a matter of the money but more a matter of principle. You will be nickel and dimed here.

The beach here is not good- about a foot of seaweed the day we were on the hotel's beach- but i do not hold this against the hotel here in my review.

2 Thank goals1
Murphy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We returned from a week - July 22nd-29th- in paradise. First - the Marriott Resort is amazing. the facilities - resturants, bars, shops, lobby, pool, beach are amazing. But more amazing are the people, - the staff - bellman, front desk, conceirge, wait staff, housekeeping, craft market, gym, casino - always treated with a smile and made us feel welcome. We own a timeshare with Marriott, but have stayed in the hotel as well. We will come back for many years to come. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! The resort is such that you would never have to leave; we also love the island tour and shopping. The resturants in the resort are terrific, but we do enjoy Marshalls and the Beach House as well.

Room Tip: Ocean view
3 Thank Lanahill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I just returned from a 10 day stay, and I was very happy with our accommodations. We were in a suite in the Caribe House, and it was beautiful. Check in was flawless - Craig gave us great advice on restaurants, cabs, etc. the maid service arrived promptly each morning and left the suite spotless. Most days we stuck to the North Pool which was pretty much empty. Karen at the Lobby Bar makes a great cocktail and we enjoyed the casino.
My one complaint, however, is that on several occasions, locals came walking off the beach and went in the pools either fully clothed (jeans, sneakers, shirts, etc) or stripped down to nothing but their tighty-whities and went for a dip. On one afternoon, we saw a group of 3 pregnant teens in their underwear who were joined by their male friends who went in the pool, shoes and all. I understand that the beaches are public, but I found this both unsanitary and unsettling. There are several signs posted stating that only resort guests are allowed in the pools but these were largely ignored. My parents, who have vacationed at the resort for the past 8 years, were appalled when I told them. Apparently, during high season, there are several security guards patrolling the pools. Unfortunately, this was not the case in July.
I would go back to the resort, but I hope they up grade the security during the low season.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank M K
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott St. Kitts last week for a business meeting. First of all, the island of St. Kitts is an absolute beauty. Very green, the locals are absolutely lovely and it is extremely picturesque.

The hotel is large - it is the biggest on the island and has all of the most modern amenities. A casino, spa, gym, etc. The staff are lovely. Very friendly and responsive. I only ate a few meals there but the food seemed good and a nice selection.

I would recommend getting off the hotel property and seeing some of the island. There is a coffee shop down the street called Rituals which is much like a Starbucks with an 'island' twist. Great food and again, the people are lovely. I had a taxi driver offer me a ride and when I said no, he told me to have 'a blessed day' with smile and a wave.

The beach is nice - the water seemed a bit rough to me but they have built a breakwall which tempers that a bit.

Overall, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Corks73
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We arrived at the Marriott on Sunday to a cold towel and a nice refreshing fruity drink in the lobby while we waited to check in. The first room they put us in was in the main building and very nice; however, the A/C was BROKEN. You may not know this about St. Kitts, but it gets VERY HOT, and A/C/ is a must. We had to call the hotel 4 times in the span of 5 hours before anyone came up to actually check. Once the maintenance man showed up, he poked around the ceiling a little bit, left and came back about 3 different times and brought another guy to help. Apparently they couldn't figure it out, but no one told us ANYTHING that was going on and we were left to sweat to death. We were traveling with my 8 month old daughter and she was literally dripping in sweat and turning red. They FINALLY move us to another room in Basseterre House which was hallelujah, cold and the a/c was working. It was not as nice as the room we had in the main building, but at least it was cold. We go to bed for the night, only to wake up to find that we had been eaten alive by a million mosquitos. Granted, bugs are expected on a tropical island and we had brought bug spray, but it didn't work. We were literally covered in bites and my poor baby's face was covered in bites. We called the hotel and they said "we'll send someone to spray the property". The next night, we were up until 2 am because we were too afraid to go to bed and were constantly killing mosquitoes around our room.

We went to the front desk to let them know about the issue, but they only gave us another room once they saw my poor baby's face and arms (she was literally covered in hundreds of bites). We were finally moved back to the main building where it was bug-free and the a/c was working (not as good as the second room, but at this point we were just happy to be bug-free and not be scared to go to bed).

The hotel overall was clean, but the pools were poorly maintained and they needed to sweep the beach more often for seaweed. The food was decent quality, but of course expect everything to be pricey since they have to import everything + VAT + 2% island improvement tax + service charges (these are standard, but can vary depending on the place).

We are owners at several other Marriott resorts and have a certain expectation of a Marriott property - this one left much to be desired. It was a nice place to visit once, but we will never come back.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main building to be bug-free.
1 Thank TweePee
philadephia, pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I recently stayed at this Marriot for a group vacation. The total trip was 8 days. Arrival and check in was fine, but as I settled in and actually needed service for food and housekeeping, I was appalled at what I recieved. On 3 separate days, we requested the room freshened and were left with no hangers that were requested, no hand towels or bath mats and every day, an unswept floor, still sandy from the day before. The food was terrible with the exception of the pizza shack at the main pool, and the service to get the food was absolutelty the slowest and rudest I've ever experienced on a vacation. Ex: an iced coffee, plain took over 11 minutes to recieve from order to checkout. I normally don't complain, but people need to know before they spend the money on the trip. I would never return to this resort again and plan to contact Marriott customer service about my experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Timothy Beach Resort
Timothy Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!