“Nice resorts that tries, but not as good as other Marriott Timeshares”

Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club
Michigan
“Nice resorts that tries, but not as good as other Marriott Timeshares”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Oh boy, where do I begin? My husband and I own a Maui Marriott timeshare, and we've always wanted to trade to St. Kitts, and I must say we were underwhelmed.

Location: Good location, close to the airport. We took a taxi to the Marriott, and rented a car from Hertz on-site at the Marriott for the week. Taxi ride is a flat rate of $16 US dollars, and so we commonly gave the guy a $20, so trips around the island can add up.

Car Rental: From Hertz (onsite at Marriott) we were given a midsize piece of junk car. I don't want luxury, but this car had a lot of miles, whined on the uphills, and the front bumper was fully displaced and didn't line up with the car panels. Very expensive tor rent a car there, as they add in major taxes and a $25 temp license fee. Was it worth it to rent? I had to have it because I like relying on my own transportation, but the island had so little to see in retrospect, it was not necessary for the cost. Steering wheel is on the right and they drive on the left.

Room: We (just two of us) stayed in a giant 3 bedroom villa. The villa was beautiful, with giant bathrooms, excellently stocked kitchen, and huge balconies. Our villa was on the top floor, and the side veranda was large enough to hold a party for 50 people. I think the towels were kind of scratchy, so they could be replaced, but most everything was really nice. I had to call for shampoo, as the whole 3 bathroom villa had 2 tiny shampoo bottles in total. They sent them right up. They gave us coffee for the pot when we arrived, and on the freshen up day. The villa buildings are 3 levels high, and they don't have an elevator. I combed over the room binder book about the hotel and amenities, and found no room service menu like there should've been. I called the At Your Service number and they said it should be in there, but because I looked multiple times and confirmed it wasn't there, they sent up a menu. Due to weather delay, we stayed an extra night in the hotel in a regular room, and it was comfy, but surprised it needed some cosmetic repairs in the bathroom area. Tiny coffee maker had filters that didn't fit, which made it cumbersome to use. They needed to update the hotel info binder in the room too.

Restaurants: I had a big annoyance with the room service menu they gave me, as it said 10% service charge would be added, but when we ordered and rec'd our bill, it was actually 12.5% added. They charged a $4 delivery fee, which I thought was reasonable. The whole Marriott and lots of other places charge a $12.5 service fee, and I really hated it. Normally I would give 20%, but since service was commonly not great, I started just not giving anything beyond their 12.5%. We ate at their moderately priced Calypso restaurant for breakfast, and it was OK. I LOVE crunchy grilled french toast, and was surprised to see it on the menu. I ordered it and it came with strawberries and bananas (I asked them to hold the bananas), but when it came the waitress plopped it down with no fruit at all on it and never said a peep. I questioned where the berries are, and she said they have no strawberries. I asked is there anything else I could have, and she said blueberries, I said Ok and she brought them. It was like pulling teeth to get some darn berries. I have a feeling they rarely have strawberries, as I recall a similar story on St. Thomas. Why put it on the menu if you can never get the product? Frozen ones would've worked, but I guess they didn't think of that. Breakfast buffet was near $22. We loved their Pizza Shack pizza, the beach cafe was pretty good too. Fancy steak place was expensive, and good, but not super great. Another huge complaint about the restaurants is that they don't post their menus in the room binder or outside of the restaurant when they are closed. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't see the menus like that, like EVERY OTHER RESTAURANT DOES in the world. You can view it at the concierge desk.

Lobby setup: We arrived late so we checked in at the hotel check in desk, but during normal hours the timeshare people have their own desk. There's a desk which has no title over, around, or near it, and it took me days to figure out it was the concierge desk. They were so extremely unhelpful, I hated to speak to them. If you even mention the idea of seeing sights on the island, they cut you off and tell you to go the "Tours" desk. It's like they really don't want to speak to you about anything.

Wifi: Free for us for the week in the villa, but it didn't extend well outside on the grounds of the Marriott.

Grounds: Nice grounds, but I felt so bad for the cats that roam the area at night. I spoke to a rep from the Vet School on the island that they said they spayed/neutered near 50 cats at the Marriott, and they have their ears tipped. The problem is that nobody is in charge of feeding them, so they rely on the guests and garbage scraps. I heard 2 guests saying they bought cat food at the store for the cats during their stay. If you are an animal lover, I would suggest that if you go. I gave some cats some cheese I had during my stay.

Pools: Nice big pools, but the chairs need replacement. They are old, many in disrepair, and are rusty or broken.

Beach: We went around to all of the beaches on the island, and the Marriott one is the best. It has the widest beach and softest sand. Waves were kind of big, but the beach was the best.

Other beaches: The one on the peninsula end was yucky- terrible snorkeling, broken shells, hard, flat, and narrow. The one near Shipwreck bar and Shigidty Shack bar were similar- hard, flat, narrow. Water was nice on that side of the island, better snorkeling. To think that cruise ship people pay to be taken to those areas is terrible, but it's all the island has.

Service: This is what sets it apart from Aruba and St Thomas, the service just isn't very good. Ok, call it island time, but even with that factored in, it's not real friendly and energetic. Some people were better than others, but I think their work pool to choose people is poor. They don't uphold the Marriott standard.

Island: This island was a huge letdown. They have wild monkeys on the island, so the locals steal babies away from the moms and try to get visitors to pay to take pictures with them- just horrible. I saw starving dogs and cats. The main town is poor with the typical stores near the port area. The ride around island showed more poverty, and no restaurants for visitors. Everything was run down, with tons of shacks. Drugs are grown on the island, and although that doesn't bother me, it's the main reason why people shouldn't walk on jungle trails without an island tour guide. Very few beaches. Brimstone Hill Fort was worth seeing, the Batik store was good, Black Rock pretty, but was very similar to volcanic cliffs on Hawaii.

Scuba: We went with Pro Divers. Terry and Austin were awesome, highly recommend. No bathroom on their boat though. They don't cater to cruise passengers, which was nice. They set up our equipment and gave us royal treatment.

Roads: Very rough, huge potholes (no, massive), just take taxis.

Volcano Hike: We did this tour and it was really hard and exhausting. Take a lot of water, as they don't really give you any on the trip, and the Marriott tour person didn't mention this for us, so we didn't have enough water.

Outside restaurants: Reggae Beach Bar was good, Shipwreck just OK, Rituals Coffee was walkable for breakfast and was really good, Bangkok near Marriott was pretty good (Thai, Chinese, Indian). Buddy's Beach Bar was good.

Over all, the island didn't have enough to sustain our interests, poverty is everywhere, and EVERYBODY charges a 10% VAT tax on everything- so that increases the price on the trip substantially. VAT plus 12.5% service fee makes everything overpriced.

Sorry this is long, but one more major thing... NEVER NEVER NEVER TAKE LIAT AIRLINES. They are so unreliable, you are very very very likely to miss a connection. Antigua airport is a major pit, avoid if possible. It took us 4 days to get home because of a tropical storm, but Liat never kept passengers informed, they seem to contract out their employees, so nobody really works for Liat, they strung us along for days with scarce unrealistic updates, and they definitely don't care about their customers. They seem to be the airline mafia of the Caribbean, and they know it, so they don't try real hard. We watched other airlines move passengers/aircraft for 3 days, while Liat just lied and lied about real status updates.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sparklesque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Lady Lake, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Marriott. We were in a 3 bedroom timeshare which was huge. We could have entertained 50 people on our balcony. The beach was very nice with comfortable thatched roof gazebos for shade and plenty of them. Of course there was some seaweed at water's edge (it's the ocean) but very clean and a nice breakwater to make swimming safe and pleasant. And the staff was very friendly. The only blemishes were an apparent funding problem. A few things such as the gym equipment need updating, an elevator was out of service for several days. Nothing really bad, but you can tell they need some more business.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DianaSoucy
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The timeshare villas were large & nicely appointed. The AC compressors were ridiculously loud and the service was spotty. Overall not bad but we have enjoyed many of the MVCI properties more. The restaurants were just ok but the planned activities were above average.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank CASE-JC
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Visited between September 9 and 16, anticipating the slow season. We were on the money! This is a great Marriott property in architecture, size of units, and especially the staff. Took a day or two to acclimate to $17 fish sandwich and $4.50 midget beer at the Bohemia pool restaurant. Of course, the tradeoff was the sandwiches were grandiose and withering in their deliciousness and the beer was 5.2% alcohol. Do not let anyone say the wait staff is not friendly and accomodating, if not speedy. But hey, all we were doing was lounging by the pool or beach. It wasn't as if we had to be somewhere. Everyone without exception, is an ambassador for the Island. Go to the casino--we actually came out winners! That is , if one considers she kept the winnings and I accrued the losses.

Better dinner meals can be had at off site venues, but there are plenty of them: Marshalls, Spice Mill, Ciao to name a few. This is a very good property when taken as a whole and I would return, if I didn't have to fly through MIAMI.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Keller, Texas
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked this through Interval International a couple of months in advance because I wanted to do a vacation before the kid went back to school. We stayed August 12th-19th. Upon arrival they had a cold towel and a cold beer waiting for us. This was a refreshing treat. We had been waiting at the airport for over an hour because AA lost our luggage. However, even with the airport delay, our party still got there a couple of hours early so our room was not ready yet. At 4pm sharp our room was ready. We had requested a first floor ocean side room, because they have no elevator, and got it. Grandma came with fractured knee cap, so the front desk offered golf cart pickup and drop off upon request during our whole stay – which was a great benefit to have. Everyone on the staff was extremely friendly; they even gave us a 20% off coupon to the Pronto store to purchase anything we needed since the AA lost our luggage.

Our room was very accessible and the patio opened to the beach area, which was beautiful. The room floor was dirty upon arrival, so I asked housekeeping to do a quick mop before we settled in the two bedroom unit. Other than that, the room was clean, air condition was cold and everything worked just fine. Since we didn’t have any luggage I bought a swimsuit and went to the beach.

The beach was littered with seaweed and trash, which they struggled to clean up daily. This did not ruin our beach time, but we did have to be careful not to step on sharp trash. The shore did have some decent snorkeling areas by the stones blocking the waves. I did hear there were better beaches on the Caribbean side, but we never ventured off this beach.

The main pool was huge. The side pools were large and very quiet during the first part of our stay. They were in the process of cleaning the main pools towards the middle of our stay, so our once quiet pool got busy. My son did the intro to scuba in one of the pools and loved it.
The casino was cool and we did bingo one night which was neat. However, we didn’t win anything.

I played golf at a twilight discount one day. The course was very nice and quiet.

We had a great cab driver, ask for Eddie at the resort. He was very friendly and accommodating. We did an island tour one day, which was a good reason to get out and look around.

Good food was difficult to find. Also, the food is very expense on the island. We even went to the grocery store so we could cook food from our condo. The only bad thing was the frozen pizzas looked like they were thawed and refroze several times. The resort food was not good. We also went out several times and again food not good. Please keep in mind; I am not a picky eater. My nine-year-old must have lost 10 pounds. At the airport on the flight back home, we stopped at a TGI Friday’s, he ate two orders of chicken strips and half an order of mozzarella sticks.

To sum up: People are friendly on the whole island. The resort was nice but not normal Marriott quality. The grounds were very nice and well kept, but show signs of aging. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, but with some of the employees you have to initiate conversation. Food was not good. The beach was decent, but beyond cleaning up.

This place was nice, but since flights here are pricy, we probably won’t be coming back.

Room Tip: We stayied in room 7105. It had great access, but the room above us was very noisy. Plan your meals...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deal_Finder_FW
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we checked in the kitchen was not very clean. The grounds of the property are very pretty and are kept very clean. Our room however was not so clean..Just expected more from Marriott since I have stayed at many other Marriott properties. St. Kitts is not as pretty as the other Caribbean islands and is very expensive. We spent $134 on breakfast for family of 5 at the resort.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank luv2travel01960
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Mariott is a beautiful and well kept resort, several pools, cooking facilities and friendly staff. Sir Walter's tours was excellent, included a stop at the well preserved and largely intact Brimstone Hill Fortress colonial fort dating back to the 1800's, a not to miss sight. For scuba divers, Kenneth's Dive was a good experience, uncrowded boat visits some dive sites only Kenneth knows about. Diving was ok, similar to the Bahamas, not spectacular but enjoyable.

The bad and ugly: customs and immigration officials downright hostile and rude, worse than Russia (where we fully expected such as Americans). Refusal to even look at you, unnecessary pawing through bags, smart remarks about bag contents. Some sour attitude also at local restaurants, for example, asked the price of an item 4 times at the breakfast deli down the street from the Mariott, counter attendant never answered, just bagged it without answering.

Saw similar trip postings before we went there, sad to see they were accurate. There are more enjoyable places than St. Kitts to spend your valuable vacation time.

Room Tip: Try for an ocean view with balcony close to the beach, beautiful!
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Timothy Beach Resort
Timothy Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Frigate Bay

Been to Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club? Share your experiences!