“St Kitts vacation”

Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We visited St. Kitts last week and stayed at the Mariott's Beach Club in the time sharing condos. They were 2 bedroom, 2 bath condos and very large. They will were decorated and plenty of room for the 3 of us. They sleep up to 8 people (including the pull out sofa). We had ocean view room. There are 3 pools at the resort, which is ocean front. There is a swim up bar which was very nice if you didn't want to get out of the pool to have a drink or lunch.
The food and drinks were expensive. The island has a VAT (value added tax) and service charge added to every item purchased.
We tooks a cab tour of the island which was very nice. It lasted about 3 1/2 hours for $80. On Thurs. night Mr. X's Shiggity Shack is the place to be - fire eater, reggae music and good food which was not expensive at all. We also went to the Sunset Cafe which again had great food and not expensive.
My suggestion is get away from the Mariott (as nice as it is) and get out and see the island and the culture of it. People are very friendly and had a great time!

Room Tip: There is a hotel and time sharing condos so depending on the size of your family and how much yo wan...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank purchasst

Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed 6 nights at the Marriott Beach Club in mid May, and were very pleased with our stay. The one thing to remember about the Beach Club is that it is a timeshare, which is more like a condo rental than a hotel, however this particular property is more integrated than other Marriott Hotel/Timeshare properties, but I'll get into that later. We arrived on a Saturday, and checked in, a quick 5-minute process. The Beach Club check-in is in the lobby of the main Marriott, however there are 2 separate desks for each of the 2 different hotels. Also in the lobby is a casino, cafe, Italian restaurant, steakhouse, and several shops, most notably a market place (general store), perfume store, island wear store, and art gallery. In addition there is also a business center with prepay internet.

Upon getting to our room, we were impressed as always with the quality of the Marriott timeshare rooms. They are very nice, with granite counter tops, stainless appliances, incredibly comfy beds, and plenty of room to spread out in. The one thing that I was really happy with about the Beach Club was their larger flat panel TV's. So many of the Marriott's have small tube TV's, it's nice to have one with new - large t.v.'s.

The kitchen was very nice, and worked well. Because I really enjoy cooking, my wife and I ate in for all but 2 meals, which provided a nice cost savings to eating at the resort as well as better food.

Because the timeshare shares amenities with the resort, it has a fair number more than at the normal Marriott timeshare, or at least the ones I have stayed at. There are 8 restaurants, 3 pools, 1 jetted pool (hot-tub without the hot), and 1 hot-tub. Both the jetted pool and hot-tub are very large for a hot tub, and could probably fit 20 comfortably, if not more.

The beach is nice, but not swimmable. It's on the atlantic side, which I don't think is safe, or at least looked pretty choppy. The sand is nice as well, though not the white powder you would find in other parts of the Caribbean.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay. There were a few bad parts, like the 3 of 4 non-working elevators, and the fact that the casino was smaller than we expected. We also had a rough time driving around the ridiculously pot-holed roads, but we didn't go to St. Kitts to gamble or ride elevators, we went to relax and swim and did both. When I go back to St. Kitts, I won't hesitate to stay at the Marriott hotel or Beach Club.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank joshua b
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon early January this year. We were so excited to go to an island we had never even heard of. My family has a timeshare and we stayed in one the villas. The villas are great! It was bigger than our apartment so we loved it! The island is so beautiful and the beaches were fun to relax at. All our taxi drivers were super friendly but it was annoying that the resort isn't walking distance to the capital. My husband actually ventured out and walked the 4 mile hike to the city. It was pretty entertaining and a great view!

Now for the stuff I wasn't really happy with. The resort knew we were a couple on our honeymoon before we were to arrive. But when we arrived the front desk didn't have any notes of us being on our honeymoon. I thought we would get to our room and there would be a nice bottle of champagne or something of that nature. Then the event planner of the resort called us and said they would bring us some strawberries and champagne. Nothing showed up all week! When we checked out she asked how our room service was. She realized she sent it to the wrong room. Seriously. And then we said we would be sitting at the pool all day waiting for our afternoon plane if she wanted to bring us something. No one brought us anything.

Also, why aren't there any hot tubs? That was kind of a bummer.

Overall I was very disappointed with the customer service at the resort. Very different from other Marriott properties I have stayed out. I work in the hospitality industry and was expecting a lot more.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank C R
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We just got back from a week-long trip in St. Kitts and we stayed at the Marriott Beach club. We absolutely loved the property, the staff, etc. We we so surprised how friendly the people are at this resort, and really the entire island. We have not had the same experience on other islands, and this was a real treat. The staff at the Marriott went far out of their way to serve us and make us feel at home. It was a very unique experience that I wish everyone would duplicate.

Also, the trip from the airport was so easy and fast.

The

Room Tip: No elevators in the villas, so if you are on crutches (like I was) then you will need to request a f...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WibbsSurf
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed in a two bedroom, two bath villa the second week of March. Beautiful villa, with large kitchen, which was great for breakfast and lunch. Just two of us, would be room for more with no problem. All the comforts of home and well kept up, one of the better Marriott timeshares we have stayed at. Only problems encountered with check in(seemed to be in a hurry and wanted to be finished), concierge(virtually no help, we found our own way by asking bell staff), and tour desk(again appeared to not like his job). Thank goodness for the bell staff, they were outstanding and always pleasant and helpful. Hope to return some day, a laid back and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dabears11
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Just returned from Saint Kitts and I would have to say that being an experienced traveler with a number of other resorts around Mexico and the Caribbean, that the Marriott Beach Club was just as I expected. The resort is only about a 15 minute drive from the airport, and was convenient for most destinations on the island. Cabs were easy to find and the resort discretely posts cab fares to most island destination on a pillar by the front entrance which helps alot! The other side of frigate bay where Shiggidy Shack and some other informal restaurants are is only a short walk or cab ride away.
The Beach for the resort is on the Atlantic side which is more choppy, although several calmer areas were protected by rocky wave breaks. The resort had some people clearing seaweed accumulations and this was a problem this and other reviewers for this resort did notice. There were plenty of shelters and beach chairs available on the beach. A few vendors were trolling around , but this was not a problem like I have encountered at other Caribbean beaches.
On the negative side, I did notice a fairly noticeable oscillating humming sound from electrical ?transformer equipment on the side of each of the buildings that other reviewers on this site had mentioned. However I did not find this to be too annoying or irritating. The pools were occasionally dirty and could use more frequent maintenance, but were otherwise comfortable. I found obvious missing tiles in the unheated whirlpools - just a sign of less than great maintenance. The general store at the resort had some foodstuffs, but not really enough practical stuff to get by for a family. So count on a short cab ride into town to the local IGA market to really stock up on your food. Otherwise the condominium kitchens were pretty well equipped to eat in.
Otherwise on the positive side. The staff was friendly and generally attentive. There were plenty of beach towels to be had. (I hate when resorts run out of towels!). The landscaping was pretty. Soft tree frogs whistle you to bed at night (similar to Jamaica!). I saw mongoose and humming birds on the property. The restaurants on the resort were tasty. We enjoyed the shuffle board court on the grounds near the beach entrance which seemed to be busy! The work out /exercise facility was very nice and had great health club level equipment, but could have used a few more ellipticals which seemed to be perpetually in use.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank doctor_jeff
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Went with friends to enjoy the surroundings, lunch and a little bit of gambling at the Marriott while enjoying St. Kitts off the cruise ship. The grounds are lovely, the food at the beach open air restaurant was good, reasonably priced and plentiful (great portions). The beach front is lovely with cabanas and spectacular views but it does seem to be a windy site. Also played the slots after registering for their players club card and won! Made for a lovely afternoon.

Room Tip: Can't speak to the rooms as we only came for an afternoon visit but from the looks of the facili...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
10 mi away
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club

Been to Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club? Share your experiences!