“Very Pleased”

Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club
Potomac, Maryland
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We just got back from a week-long trip in St. Kitts and we stayed at the Marriott Beach club. We absolutely loved the property, the staff, etc. We we so surprised how friendly the people are at this resort, and really the entire island. We have not had the same experience on other islands, and this was a real treat. The staff at the Marriott went far out of their way to serve us and make us feel at home. It was a very unique experience that I wish everyone would duplicate.

Also, the trip from the airport was so easy and fast.

The

Room Tip: No elevators in the villas, so if you are on crutches (like I was) then you will need to request a f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WibbsSurf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed in a two bedroom, two bath villa the second week of March. Beautiful villa, with large kitchen, which was great for breakfast and lunch. Just two of us, would be room for more with no problem. All the comforts of home and well kept up, one of the better Marriott timeshares we have stayed at. Only problems encountered with check in(seemed to be in a hurry and wanted to be finished), concierge(virtually no help, we found our own way by asking bell staff), and tour desk(again appeared to not like his job). Thank goodness for the bell staff, they were outstanding and always pleasant and helpful. Hope to return some day, a laid back and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dabears11
Palatine, Illinoi
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Just returned from Saint Kitts and I would have to say that being an experienced traveler with a number of other resorts around Mexico and the Caribbean, that the Marriott Beach Club was just as I expected. The resort is only about a 15 minute drive from the airport, and was convenient for most destinations on the island. Cabs were easy to find and the resort discretely posts cab fares to most island destination on a pillar by the front entrance which helps alot! The other side of frigate bay where Shiggidy Shack and some other informal restaurants are is only a short walk or cab ride away.
The Beach for the resort is on the Atlantic side which is more choppy, although several calmer areas were protected by rocky wave breaks. The resort had some people clearing seaweed accumulations and this was a problem this and other reviewers for this resort did notice. There were plenty of shelters and beach chairs available on the beach. A few vendors were trolling around , but this was not a problem like I have encountered at other Caribbean beaches.
On the negative side, I did notice a fairly noticeable oscillating humming sound from electrical ?transformer equipment on the side of each of the buildings that other reviewers on this site had mentioned. However I did not find this to be too annoying or irritating. The pools were occasionally dirty and could use more frequent maintenance, but were otherwise comfortable. I found obvious missing tiles in the unheated whirlpools - just a sign of less than great maintenance. The general store at the resort had some foodstuffs, but not really enough practical stuff to get by for a family. So count on a short cab ride into town to the local IGA market to really stock up on your food. Otherwise the condominium kitchens were pretty well equipped to eat in.
Otherwise on the positive side. The staff was friendly and generally attentive. There were plenty of beach towels to be had. (I hate when resorts run out of towels!). The landscaping was pretty. Soft tree frogs whistle you to bed at night (similar to Jamaica!). I saw mongoose and humming birds on the property. The restaurants on the resort were tasty. We enjoyed the shuffle board court on the grounds near the beach entrance which seemed to be busy! The work out /exercise facility was very nice and had great health club level equipment, but could have used a few more ellipticals which seemed to be perpetually in use.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank doctor_jeff
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Went with friends to enjoy the surroundings, lunch and a little bit of gambling at the Marriott while enjoying St. Kitts off the cruise ship. The grounds are lovely, the food at the beach open air restaurant was good, reasonably priced and plentiful (great portions). The beach front is lovely with cabanas and spectacular views but it does seem to be a windy site. Also played the slots after registering for their players club card and won! Made for a lovely afternoon.

Room Tip: Can't speak to the rooms as we only came for an afternoon visit but from the looks of the facili...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn D
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We are Mariott Vacation Club Internation (MCVI) owners who own multiple weeks and have loved our experiences at all of the MCVI resorts at which we have stayed, until this one. Sadly, one of the places where we purchased an MCVI resort is St. Kitts. We made the horrible choice of purchasing the Marriott on St. Kitts, site unseen, because of the fabulous experiences we have had at other MCVI resorts at which we have stayed, and because I had been to St. Kitts in the past, many years ago, and know what a beautiful and unspoiled island it is. Unfortunately, this resort was not what we expected.

It was shortly after check-in that we realized our purchase was a huge mistake, and that the management, staff and even the property at this MCVI are nowhere near Marriott's usual high standards.

This was our maiden trip to one of our home resorts. We booked a two bedroom oceanside unit - oceanside at this resort actually being "oceanfront" units - those closest to the beach. While checking in the front desk clerk showed us a map of the property, and circled the building into which we were going to be placed. Unfortunately she circled the buidling closest to the hotel lobby and farthest from the beach. We quickly said that this must be some mistake, as we booked an oceanside unit. We were told that couldn't be possible. Thankfully, we had our supporting paperwork. Once we produced it, the clerk who was assisting us said she needed to speak with the duty manager.

The duty manager was very pleasant and apologectic, but explained that there was nothing they could do, as they did not have any two bedroom oceanside units available. I explained that was unacceptable to me, because I was an owner; that is what I booked; and that is where I expected to be placed. She asked us to give her a few minutes to see what she could work out.

The desk folks did then set about working the computers to see what they could work out. We waited 15 or 20 minutes with no offer of a drink or bottle of water. Finally, the manager said that if we stayed in the room the placed us on the day of our check in, she could move us to a two bedroom oceanside unit the next day. She also explained, however, that we would have to check out of the room into which they were placing us at 10:00 a.m. the next morning, and our new room would not be ready until after 2:00. I suggested that was unreasonable, and they should at least give us until noon to vacate our original room. The manager relented, and agreed to a noon checkout. I also suggested that we should be compensated for our difficulties, at least with points. The manager suggested that she would not be able to speak with a points manager until Monday, but she would get back to me early in the week.

Shortly after we got to our first room the front desk manager did call to say that we would not have to check out until when our new room was ready the next day. Things were starting to look up. She also said that she would be unable to speak with a points manager until Tuesday, but would be back in touch with me.

The next day we hung around the local area and the resort - not wanting to venture too far because we were eventually going to have to move and then eventually unpack. Shortly after 2:00 we did get a call that our new room was ready, and our bell hop - Chelston - who was wonderful - would be down to move us. He did so, but to another room which was oceanview but still not oceanside (oceanview being one step below what we booked). We immediately called the front desk to again complain, and again were told "this was the best they could do." At that point I told them I wanted to speak to the resort manager, and they said they would be back in touch with me.

We did get a call back from the front desk about twenty minutes later, at which point they told us that they had no two bedroom oceanside units available, but they did have a three bedroom oceanside unit to which they were willing to move us. However, because their housekeeping staff was short staffed, the room to which they were now going to move us would not be ready until 6:00 p.m..

This time we went to see the room before we agreed to move yet again. It was on the top floor of an oceanside building, and was beautiful. It was all that we had expected and more, given that it was a three bedroom unit and not the two bedroom unit we had booked. We agreed to move, and hung around the resort waiting for yet another call that our newest room was ready. It finally came shortly after 7:00 p.m.

Once we got settled in, things improved a bit. However, most of the facilities at this resort are simply not up to MCVI's usual standards. There is seaweed all over the beach, which is never cleaned. Showers as you exit the beach don't work. Gas grills throughout the resort have no gas, and the staff has no idea how to fix them. The resort and grounds were generally tired and need of some TLC. Similarly, the attitude of the employees was not up to Marriott's standards. We are used to smiles and greatings. There were few of these, even when we attempted to initiate them.

I did try to deal with the GM about our initial disappointment. However, he did not offer much in the way of compensation - points or otherwise. We were not even offered a free drink. At last i requested a late checkout (2:00 or 3:00 p.m.), as our flight home was not until 5:00 p.m. The GM told me that he could not even accomodate this request, as he needed to have the room ready for check in by 4:00 p.m. (curious since it wasn't ready for us to check in to until after 7:00 p.m.).

Overall a huge disappointment. I'm sorry I purchased here and am thrilled that MCVI's new point system will enable me to easily trade out of this place. I will give it another try, but not until I read that they have made some serious improvements to the management and the facilities.

NOTE: I do want to say that upon our return home we filed a complaint with MVCI Corporate Headquarters and received an immediate and very satisfactory response. MVCI Corporate responded with the outstanding level of customer service we have come to expect from Marriott Vacation Club International - the kind of service that resulted in us purchasing several weeks and vacation club points from this fine company. I am confident that they will make the necessary changes and adjustements their St. Kitts property needs to get it in line with their other outstanding properties througout the world.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank cjbesq
Rosendale, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a week at the St Kitt's Marriott Beach Club. Overall, it was a relaxing vacation. The travel from New York to St Kitt's took a long time. There isn't daily non stop service from New York, we had fairly long layovers in Miami each way. Our flight left NY at 6 am, and we arrived at the resort around 4 pm, so it was a tiring travel day. The airport in St Kitts is small, but well run, we had no problems getting our luggage. There was a Marriott rep outside the airport, who directed us to a cab. A 10 minutes ride and $16 later, we were at the resort. We were greeted with a cool towel, and offered a cold beer (Carib) or fruit punch. Check in for the Beach Club (timeshare property) was a breeze. Our room was nice, garden view. The Marriott hotel and time share buildings are on the same property. The hotel seemed really large and crowded, but the time share buildings were pretty quiet.
There are three pools on the property, the large main pool, and two smaller pools situated in the middle of the time share buildings.
The weather was a bit unusual, according to the locals, The wind HOWLED for nearly our entire stay, making entry into the ocean and /or snorkeling pretty difficult, it was just too rough. Don't know if the wind was related to the seaweed problem or not, but the beach area near the water was covered with a 10 ft wide strip of seaweed over a foot deep. This didn't bother me, but I mention it because I think it does bother a lot of people. The onsite "grocery" store is very limited. My wife took a cab into town to buy some groceries. If you are in the time share and plan on cooking some meals, I recommend doing that. We found the entire staff to be very friendly and helpful. Overall, we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
The Mount Nevis Hotel
#2 of 3 in New Castle
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Been to Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club? Share your experiences!