“Timothy Beach Resort-the best place to stay for privacy”

Timothy Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“Timothy Beach Resort-the best place to stay for privacy”
Reviewed September 23, 2005

We just returned from St. Kitts (September 10-17) , where we stayed at the Timothy Beach Resort. We went with another couple and rented one of the Townhouses. The layout consisted of a studio combined with two other rooms. The studio was on the lower level and included a kitchen, dining room, king size bed (basically two twins secured together) and a bathroom with a large shower. The two bedrooms were upstairs and each had a king size bed (two twins secured together) and 2 full baths. One bedroom had an extremely large balcony with lounging chairs and a table. that gives you a partial view of the water. The other bedroom had a small balcony that only allowed you to stand.
Our accomodations were very clean and comfortable. The kitchenette had your basic needs, coffee maker, stove refrigerator and microwave. The bedrooms upstairs also have a tiny refrigerator in them. Housekeeping was wonderful. The resort is on a narrow strip of land on the SE side of the island where their beach is on the Caribbean side, but it is less than a 10 minute walk to the Atlantic Ocean and the Marriott hotel and other condos in the area.
There are no laundry facilities at the resort. Items that we washed by hand were dry by the end of the day, when we hung them out to dry on the balcony. The staff in the office and housekeeping were amazing.
If you are an animal lover, you will notice about 10 cats and kittens through out the property. They are aliitle shy but are no bother at all. I was impressed that someone was doing a Trap,Neuter and Release program in order to keep the cat population under control. I wish more resorts were that humane and active in controlling the pet population. If you notice their left ear is missing the tip, that lets you know that these animals have been spayed/neutered. The cats pretty much fend for themselves for food, but there were people like us that bought a bag of cat food and put food out once a day. We saw no rodents at all, so the cats are doing a service too.
The evenings were quiet and we felt complete privacy during our stay. You can see the Marriott and other condos bunched together from the resort, but Timothy Beach Resort is more secluded and set off by itself. The two little restaurants/bars (Monkey Bar and the Shiggity Shack) were steps away from our Townhouse. The food, service and frozen drinks were amazing. Cleo was our waitress for dinner at the Monkey bar and provided us excellent and prompt service. My husband and I ate at the Blue Restaurant at the Marriott for lunch one day, and even though there were only 4 other couples in the restaurant and several waitresses, it took 45 minutes to get a Cobb salad and Fish and chips. If you go there, don't wait until you are hungry to go due to the slow service.
We snorkled a lot while we were there. The best beaches that we found to snorkle were at Timothy Beach and Cockleshell Beach. As you are facing the water you will want to go off to the far left on both. We saw amazing and colorful corals and tropical fish, sea fans, sea anenomes, sea urchins, baby squid, a baby octopus curled up in the rocks, just to name a few amazing finds. We found the best times to go were between 2-5 p.m. We ventured out all along the rocky area in both of these areas. You will see some amazing things at the rocky area that juts out from Timothy beach on the left, but if you continue to the left along the rocky edge towards the tall rock formation that sits alone off the rocky edge you will be amazed at the beautiful coral and marine life.
We had most of our meals at our Townhouse. The best grocery store to shop at is the IGA store in town. The produce was by far fresher and they had a greater selection than the Ram's in town. We rented a car in order to explore the area. It used to be under British rule so you drive on the opposite side of the road. It was $62 to get a temporary driver's license. We rented through Thrifty and if you want to visit Nevi for the day, they will allow you to have one of their rentals over there without charging you extra.
If we visit the island again, we will definitely stay at the Timothy Beach Resort. Each room has an air-conditioning unit that keeps the place cool. If you check into other condos or private villas and they say they don't have air-conditioning because the constant trade winds keep the place cool, I wouldn't chance staying there because it is a hot island. I wouldn't stay any place that doesn't have air-conditioning. We visited the Brimstone Fort, which is at a considerable elevation, and it was just as hot and humid to me as it was at sea level.
The day we left we were surprised that the airport waiting area had no air-conditioning. I don't know if that is how it always is or if it just happened to be out of service that day. I was extremely hot in there and like us people were sweating considerably. So wear shorts and a cool top on departure just in case.

Kelly/ Pittsburgh, PA

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Westchester, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2005

I aggree with the recent review from NY. This is a very nice resort to stay and the people are very accomodating and friendly. The one who put flowers in your room I believe her name is Yuni and the front desk is Hashani.

My favorite place to eat are Marshall, Sprat Net and Monkey Bar.

My favorite drink is the fresh coconut. The local will get it from the tree and make a hole for you to drink the juice and then slice it in half for the meat to eat. I paid $1 per coconut. You can also buy a fresh chilled coconut juice in the bottle along the road near the hotel ($4 large and $2.5 for small). A tour of the island cost us $12 per person since we are using the same taxi driver for most of our trip. I kep their cell phone number (taxi drive and the coconut man) in case we return to St. Kitts.

Of all the Caribbean Island I visited and as far as the beach is concern I will rank them in order … Bermuda and St. John are my favorite, St. Thomas Magens Bay is great, Cayman Island and Atlantis Bahamas are okay but not too exciting, St. Kitts beaches are only okay but the people and the island is great.)

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank JJ_Lyrics
New York, NY
Reviewed August 20, 2005

I'm so excited to share my review of St. Kitts and of the Timothy Beach Resort!

Let me start off by saying that I am a 24 year old female who went with my parents. I live in New York City, but originally come from a small town-so sometimes having too many people in my train and on my sidewalk can get pretty annoying. Henceforth: The best part about my vacation was that there was NOBODY there. It wasn't desolate by any means, and there were always things to do, but it was just so quiet and relaxing.

For example: Our pool at TBR- hardly anyone there. I loved swimming and relaxing in the water all by myself- or with only my parents! Also- the snorkeling right outside the hotel is not only good, its some of the BEST snorkeling I've ever (and my parents have ever) done. My father and I saw squid, lobsters, and mating sea urchins! It was like an episode of the Discovery Channel. Don't miss the rocks- the far side of them- if you can do it. Wait for a day when the water is calm and you'll see tons of fish.

As for Nevis-(pronounced Neee-vihs) yes, the boat trip all-day cruise was great, but we all felt woozy from being on the boat. I DO reccommend walking a short (5 minutes) walk to the Four Seasons while you're on Nevis- absolutely gorgeous, and not out of place-- unlike the over-populated Marriott on St. Kitts. Went to the Marriott in the afternoon to check it out- pretty, but WAY too many people for me. Definitely nothing like what the rest of the island felt like.

While we were there, the famous Summer Music Festival was happening- IMPORTANT: if you're going during this festival, be sure to rent a car months in advance if you plan on renting a car. We were unable to rent a car, but realized it was cheaper on the cost to take taxis maybe once or twice a day than to rent. Also- be advised: The roads are not marked AT ALL, so finding places like post offices, stores, grocery stores... not easy. My family and I were so grateful that we ended up getting taxis instead. It made our trip so much more relaxed- just the customs on driving around weren't something to be learned easily...

Turtle Beach- Great day trip... The photo with the sleeping goat was taken there. Absolutely annoying goat, but she was cute nonetheless. We also did some great snorkeling out there, too- but you have to swim rather far out- past all of the seaweed, and then we saw some huge coral and deep, clear waters.

Now- as for the ACTUAL resort: I cannot say enough nice things about all the people who helped us at the reception desk. They were the friendliest I've ever encountered, and had tons of information about things to do and the cost on all activities. Also- the maid who cleaned our room each day couldn't have been nicer. They put cute fresh flowers in the room and the kitchen we had was stocked with pots, pans, knives-- everything a kitchen would need. The only thing was that my parents' bed was, no lie, the hardest bed I've ever felt. I slept on the pull-out couch and it was surprisingly comfortable!

Restaurants-- I cannot recall the name, but there is a new restaurant owned by a nice British couple in downtown Baseterre (pronounced Bahss-tehr) which was probably the most classy, yet relaxed restaurant my parents and I went to. We also did Marshalls- great service, too. We alternated eating out with restaurants to save some cash.

All in all- I LOVED my trip to St. Kitts. We didn't go out much at night, but the heat, humidity and active daytime activities with strong sunshine make you a lot more tired at night. I slept about 11 hours each night and loved it. Of all the places to stay on the island- I would definitely go back there again!

• Stayed June 2005
13 Thank Monique F
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2005

St. Kitts & Nevis

Visited early April 2005 - Stayed at the Timothy Beach Resort - 86 degrees every day.

Rather than echo what many others have said, I would like to add some new material that might be helpful for the first time visitor. I read this web site very closely before I visited but there were several things I wished I knew before I got to St. Kitts.

Take a ½ day taxi tour ASAP so you’ll get your bearings. The taxi will take you to most of the popular places - the Brimstone Fort (45 minutes to explore), the Romney Plantation and batik factory for 45 minutes. This place has some amazing gardens. After that you’ll head for Black Rocks, Carib Petrographs, all the towns on the island and a very cool place where the Caribbean and the Atlantic meet. The cost was $20 a person if more than two people take the trip. There were about 10 of us in the mini-van cab and we saw everything we needed to see, except Turtle Beach. This was a really good deal, even if you plan on renting a car later in your stay.

You will not need to change money. Every bill you’ll receive will be listed in Eastern Caribbean as well as the US$. My banker girlfriend checked every bill and the rate was within a couple of pennies of the going exchange rate. Cab drivers all take US$ and seem to prefer it.

St. Kitts is very, very quiet at night (Read - DEAD). Although we ran into one guy there who claimed to be in a bar until 3:00 A.M. the night before. We also met one single American woman who was there for a friend’s wedding and was eager to go home since all she did was hang on the beach all day and go to the casino each night. She claimed the tours were too expensive. Being something of a self contained and go-with-the-flow adventure travel person will make St. Kitts both palatable and enjoyable.

Timothy Beach Resort (TBR) is on the Caribbean side. It was built in the 70’s as a time share. I wished I upgraded to a better room with a kitchenette with a coffee maker. Having hot water would have made coffee, tea, and hot oatmeal viable low cost breakfast options. Bring some parachute cord for a makeshift clothes line on the balcony. The clothes will dry overnight. P-cord is much lighter than extra clothes. Even the basic rooms at the TBR have small fridges in them. In fact, next time I’ll have the taxi take me from the airport to the IDG (you’ll pass it anyway and Kittian taxi drivers will wait) food shop, and then check into the TBR. Bring an insulated bag and a small ice pack from home for day trips and the beach. The front desk staff at the TBR are great.

TBR is on one of the best beaches on the island. The Kittians go there. You can snorkel, rent umbrellas, jets skis, kayaks, etc. The best snorkeling is done on the far left side of the beach The Monkey Bar and Mr. X’s Shiggity Shack are on the beach and about 100 feet from TBR. Do not miss either establishment.

You could spend several days on St. Kitts just checking out what will someday become the St. Kitts Strip - TBR to the Marriott Hotel, a distance of about a ½ mile each way. If you are not staying in Basseterre, you will probably be staying the resort area - the future "Strip" area of the island. I’m not sure I personally would have wanted to stay in Basseterre. If you are staying in the resort area, know that almost everything is a cab ride away. Always confirm prices with the drivers before the ride.

The Frigate Bay Resort is 2/3 of the way from Basseterre to the TBR - Strip area. There are no sidewalks and it is pretty deserted esp. at night. I would not have felt comfortable walking from Frigate Bay Resort to Turtle Beach or the Marriott at night.

The only American chain restaurant we saw on St. Kitts was Kentucky Fried Chicken and we heard there was a Subway. Both were in Basseterre. We passed on visiting both.

Marriott Hotel - It is pretty. It is America, not St. Kitts. You’ll see a lot of very badly sunburned Americans there. The Sunday Brunch for $25 a person is a good deal. They also have a coffee bar. A light American breakfast (a coffee and a pastry for under $3.00) is otherwise very hard to come by on the island. We were able to walk down to the Marriott, got breakfast, and walked back to the TBR before our day tours started a couple of mornings.

St. Kitts is a very "barefoot" place. A golf shirt, a pair of karkis and sandals will get a man into any place on the island. Leave the tie & jacket at home.

The IGA Supermarket, where you’ll find many familiar American brands, saved us a lot of money. Every meal eaten out is going to be expensive, which is fine for dinner, but the $25.00 breakfasts and lunches (for 2) can add up fast. You will want to buy a bottled water, juice, cheese, oatmeal bars, etc.
We were able to do at least two more tours thanks to reading this website and stopping by the IGA.

Ram’s Convenience Store - on the strip - great place for a midweek food and water re-supply after you have first visited the IGA. Good supply of souvenirs, which are hard to find on the island. Not that this is a bad thing.

Tax Rate 9% - Gratuities of 14% is sometimes added to the bill. You'll want to check the check.

Renting a car is about $40 a day. License and insurance is extra. Driving is on the right. Gas was $3.50 USD a gallon.

About 1/3 of the island is covered in sugar cane. This will be the last year the crop will be harvested. It is unclear what the Government will grow on the land next year. The island is going to look very different next year.

Caribbean side beaches - No waves. Atlantic side beaches - Waves & very rough surf. My girlfriend still has a scar on knee from when she was wave jumping on an Atlantic side beach and got thrown down into the sand.

Take the all-day catamaran sail / snorkeling cruise. The Spirit of St. Kitts was beautiful and the crew were awesome! A lunch on Nevis is included. The best $72.00 USD I ever spent. These people know what they’re doing and enjoy doing it well.

Television - the entire island is serviced by a U.S. satellite company out of New York. Its easier to find news about what's going on in the Bronx than what’s going on in St. Kitts.

40,000 Kittians - 60,000 Green Vervet monkeys on the island. You will see monkeys. The monkeys will amuse you. You will not amuse them. You have been warned.

Turtle Beach - The bar / restaurant rated by Men’s Magazine as one of the best 25 bars in the world. Check out the salt ponds on the road just before you get to the beach. Its worth the $32 cab ride for the amusement park value of the cab ride alone. Goats wander the beach. Monkeys hang out on the path from the restaurant to the beach. A goat walked atop the table next to ours. You could throw an ice cube from your glass into the sea. Make sure you see the 700 lb. 3 year old pig. A very cool place to spend a ½ day and have a meal. Views of Nevis straight ahead.

The beach itself is only so-so. Its very rocky. But don't miss it.

Restaurants -

Marshall’s was nice. Very good meal. Cost was about $120.00 for 2. Good place for the big special meal out. Ottley’s Plantation is the other place, but its way out there on the northeast side of the island.

PJ’s - decent Italian food. A lot of food for the money. PJ’s is on "the strip". Pizza was about $25.00 with salad. The meatball dinner contained about two days worth of food.

There is a small English restaurant / pub on the strip near PJ’s and the Ram Store. It had a decent English breakfast and the English couple running it were nice enough. Sorry, I can’t recall the name.

Fisherman’s Wharf - was very good. On the water by Basseterre Harbor. Buffet style. A lot of food.

The restaurant called Sprat Net, which is located a considerable distance outside of Basseterre, on the eastern side of the island, was recommended to us by several cab drivers. The locals eat there and they like to recommend it. It is only open for dinner. During the day the staff is out fishing for the entrees. We never got there. Next time.

The volcano walk was a tad disappointing. I’ve been to Iceland so I could have been jaded. Its a moderate uphill walk. The rim is visible only from a rock at the end of the trail. There are mongooses awaiting you on top. The buttress trees are very cool to look at. The guide was great. The hike through the rain forest (and it poured rain on us like you could not believe) was great.

There is a leather-back turtle viewing tour for about ½ the year. It runs at night. The cost is $80.00 I mention it because I only found out about it from a flyer on the island.

It is possible to fly to St. Martin for $60 USD, which I believe was a one day round trip price.

Nevis - We both thought it was VERY overrated. Everything is very spread out and tucked away in various former plantations. The islands are the difference between Martha’s Vineyard (St. Kitts) and Nantucket (Nevis), if that helps you. The only place we were panhandled was in Nevis. The ferry over both ways was crowded. We were hit with several taxes (a couple of dollars) both ways. Not worth the day we spent there. The famous baths are a joke. It’s a modern pool about 20 feet square that you can bath in if you’re into public bathing. My girlfriend was expecting a modern day spa. Oh well. The garden was very nice, but it took us a lot of time and money to see it.

I’d spend a week in St. Kitts again and I’m glad I went now. In ten years I believe it will be a very different travel experience.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay

Been to Timothy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!