We stayed at Timothy Beach Resort from the 12th - 19th October 2013 and had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The hotel is set in the most beautiful gardens and if you have an ocean facing room you will not be disappointed with the view both in the morning and sunrise and in the evening at sunset. The rooms are big and comfortable with everything you would need, fridge, coffee/tea facilities / TV / large bed / balcony with tables & chairs & deck chairs. There are also new hairdryers in the room - I would advise just using this as I took my one and the electricity supply wasn't good enough to give it proper 'umph'. There isn't however the provision of shampoo etc so take your own (this didn't matter to us at all). The rooms inc bathroom have tiled floors and also slightly dated furnishings however I wouldn't say that this is a bad thing, if you are going to spend all day on the beach or trekking the mountains its the perfect place to come back and freshen up, you aren't going to ruin anything by walking sand and mud everywhere - overall the rooms were comfortable, we didn't need anything more. There is also free wi-fi although we could get signal on the balcony, again no hassle I just wanted to use it for researching the fish that we saw whilst snorkeling!! There is also free and plentiful parking if you rent a car.
The ladies that staff reception were also very helpful they were on hand to help when we needed it and provided advice on which tour operators to use. We climbed the volcano with Rodger's Tours, recommended by the hotel. What a great tour that was, it took us 1hr 45mins up with a food stop near the top and then 1 hr 30 mins back - overall around 4 hours. Rodger will also pick you up and drop you back to the hotel. It was Adrian who climbed the volcano with us and was very knowledgeable. We did do the climb pretty quick because it was just the two of us and Adrian, I would suggest that you need to be quite fit and prepared to hoist yourself up and over things, if you are in a bigger group I think it would take a lot longer as the paths are narrow and you would have to wait around for everyone to conquer the pathways. However the views from the top in the crater of the volcano and the interesting walk through the rain forest are well worth the challenge (it cost us $75us pp).
The Timothy Beach Resort beach is also the safest for swimming / snorkeling on the Island - and you can help yourself to sunbeds and position them just above the water (although there isn't much beach). This is the place that I found most comfortable snorkeling you can just walking down the steps and wade for about 1-2m and put your head in and you will see a variety of fish - swim further out and round the rocks and it is a wealth of colour and varieties of fish. It is safe and warm and you won't be disappointed.
The restaurants and cafes along the strip are also fantastic I would recommend Mr X's Shaggidy Shack for the Jerk Chicken and then by the far the best was Cathy's for amazing Lobster and Ribs combo - absolutely incredible.
Definitely hire a car whilst you are there - we did do the walk into Basseterre one morning at around 8:30am - it took 40 mins but was so uncomfortable, so we didn't do that again. You can then drive to the beaches on the south of the Island - Cockleshell is by far the best and the best snorkeling, we saw the biggest Ray (spotted eagle ray) and a sea snake and octopuses, others said that they saw turtles but we didn't. The Reggae Reggae beach bar and grill is also fantastic for lunch. We also went to the Shipwreck bar and grill and used their beach which again fantastic snorkeling along the reef ridge (ask in the bar for details or where to go) and brilliant food (sunbeds free if you are going to have food/drink). Further more you can drive to Nevis via the sea bridge from Majors Bay, which is an experience in itself. You drive to a 'ramp' into the sea the boat arrives every two hours, you reverse on and off you go. Nevis is very pretty and I recommend stopping for food and drinks at Sunshine's bar and grill - Sunshine is a lovely guy and so are the rest of the staff, you will feel at home. We didn't stay that long on Nevis just wanting a quick look so got the 1pm boat over and the 16:30pm boat back.
Whilst I am recommending things when you are in Basseterre definitely visit the Smoothie King on the corner opposite Ballahoo (which is a great restaurant for Breakfast) as they were the best smoothies I have ever had - regular $8ec / large $10ec - just pop the money in his pot and you will have yourself a smoothie. For any help you need visit the tourism office and they will help you out e.g. rent-a-car and other trips. Just watch Basseterre on a Friday as the cruise ships come in so the town is busy - other days you can have quite a peaceful stroll around the shops.
Overall we had the best holiday we could have hoped for and I think that this is because we had a great base and everyone was so nice and helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on St. Kitts golden Caribbean beach, Timothy Beach Resort offers: •The only hotel in the upscale golf community of Frigate Bay located directly on the Caribbean beach •Friendly, gracious staff who are delighted to help make your vacation your best ever by arranging tours, activities & reservations •Lovely modern air conditioned rooms all of which feature premium channel cable TV and Free WIFI •Deluxe One Bedroom Suites with recently remodeled walk-in Kittitian Rainforest Showers and spacious furnished balconies adding an additional outdoor living space to your home away from home. •Two Bedroom Suite and Townhouse Options •A recently redesigned and rebuilt pool providing private relaxation and a commanding view of the Caribbean beach •The oceanfront Sunset Cafe restaurant and bar open daily for all meals and snacks •The popular Dock bar directly on the sands of Frigate Bay beach with Happy Hour Monday through Friday and Sunday live entertainment ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com and Priceline so you can book your Timothy Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Timothy Beach Hotel Frigate Bay
- Timothy Beach Frigate Bay
- Timothy Beach Resort St. Kitts/Frigate Bay