“Stay for the view...”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
“Stay for the view...”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The title says it all. My wife and I vacationed to this beautiful island with my three brothers, their wives, and my parents. We stayed for just over a week and got to see the island as a whole, which aesthetically, is breath-taking.
For us though, that is about as far as the "wow" went...Please excuse the ranting like nature of this review, but I feel that people need to know what they are getting into when going to this island, not just with visiting this hotel. But first, the review of the accommodations:
This hotel is great for two things: keeping you out of the rain, and being close to "the Strip" (a string is restaurants and bars shacked together on the beach). The staff, like most natives we encountered on the island, seemed bothered that we were there. The cleaning staff was great however, stocking fresh towels and making sure the linens were changed each day. It didn't matter much though, as our "king" bed was two twin beds on wheels held together with bungee cords (literally...no joke). As stated, the hotel is close to the strip, which is good when you need to grab a bite to eat or snag a taxi to venture somewhere else on the island.
The rant/review of the island as a whole:
This island nation's economy has only been tourism-based for about the last 7 years or so. Prior to that, the island thrived on the sugar-cane industry, but due to the world market price of sugar dropping, and the extensive labor costs of major sugar production, that industry was made not feasible on an island with such limited resources. So, I get that most native people aren't used to waiting on tourists as their main source of revenue. But, if this island doesn't get its act together quick, it is going to become another desolate rock in the string of the West Indies. Being from the midwest, we say "please" and "thank you" on instinct and often. These gestures of good manners were met with blank stares and mumbling. I felt at times that I was almost a bother to the people I was paying for a service. Below are a few brief descriptions of what I am talking about:
---One night we went to eat at a restaurant called Marshall's (mid-upscale...supposedly one of the nicest places to eat on the island). Long story short, the waitress took down my order incorrectly (I order Surf and Turf, she wrote Surf and Surf). We I brought the error to her attention as politely as possible, I was told that I had made the mistake, and she walked off without explanation. I was then forced to pay for the incorrect meal, and was not offered any substitution.
---We spent a whole day on Reggae Beach, drinking and eating. We racked up a $500 bar bill, and when I went to settle the tab, I was informed that I was being charged for beach chairs ($10/piece for 8 people). When I asked why I was being charged for something I had to wipe the previous night rain off of, set up myself, etc., after dropping a bunch of money on drinks and food, I was met with a half-[--] explantation of how the bar owns the chairs, mumbles, and what I could only deduce as insults in the island english dialect.

I could type all day with instances like this...but I think my point is fairly clear. Maybe I am being too judgmental, or maybe I have been spoiled from having previously traveled to places in Central America, where they have embraced the tourism industry as a huge source of income for their nation and understand that god service is key. The only "service" I saw was the extra 10-20% charge on every bill I got, which I would have refused to pay had it been optional, as not one person who "served" me earned it. I will never be going back to this island, and plan to warn everyone thinking of heading in that direction. There are better places with nicer people.

Quick Tips: If you are going, here are some things to get you by:
-Cab fair are negotiable. They will always up charge because they know you don't know any better. Be firm and work them down on price.
-Every price, including things in the grocery store, is negotiable.
-If you want a solid couple of places to eat, Wing & Tings (food shack) and Patsy's (on the Strip) are the places.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Recommend room 30...1 bedroom suite on the second floor. Great view of the Carribean and the Atlantic from the balcony. Also good spot to watch the sunset if you don't want to go to the hotel beach bar which has an even better view. Full kitchen, comfortable bed and TV that gets about 100 channels. Water from the tap is tastes good...so you can refill your water bottles for excursions. About a 15 minute walk to the Marriott and excellent restaurants along Zenway dr...if you want to venture out from the hotel restaurant. Calm water at the beach is good for a dip and snorkelling around the pier and rocks. Staff are friendly and will get you what ever you need. Vervet monkeys live in the hillside behind the resort. You will see troops of them in the morning and around 4pm....great pictures. Very restful. Also wifi is available in your room. It was perfect for us. Not the Marriott, but lots of space, upgraded bathroom with new tile and marble. Free parking. Can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach for fresh breezes and view of the sunset.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank 2wego
chicago
Reviewed December 24, 2012

we were very happy with our short stay here, it's the perfect location on frigate bay and our room was fine. the front desk, grounds, and restaurant staff were all super friendly and helpful. we had a small mountain view room, i had no complaints on it for what we paid. the beach bar was fun and we ate at the restaurant a few times. many places seem to operate depending on the cruise ships so plan ahead if they are not in town (the beach bar was closed on saturday night since the boats left friday). we wanted to book a snorkel trip but couldn't find anyone running a boat since the big ones were gone. a lot of the nearby restaurants were closed as well, we were a little surprised since we were here a few days before christmas. snorkeling is decent around the pier, we brought our own equipment but i'm pretty sure the front desk had some available to borrow.

we were in room 43, which was very close to the bay, pool, and restaurant but it was a little noisy at night. nothing terrible, but if you want to get to bed early you may want to request a room on the side opposite the bay.

frigate bay is a beautiful spot, my only complaint was the amount of flies near the pool and restaurant. luckily i packed bug spray, i'd recommend bringing some if you go to either st. kitt's or nevis in december - they are really annoying, especially at sunset.

Room Tip: stay on the side opposite the beach if you want quiet at night, the crowd from the bar can be a litt...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Juliette B
Austin
Reviewed December 21, 2012

After doing extensive research on where to stay on my solo trip to St Kitts and Nevis I decided to give this place a try. It was cheaper than other options at $72/night before taxes and the location and what I read in other reviews looked good. Bed was comfortable, room was clean and bathroom was nice. I choose the cheaper option that faced the hill but it didn't matter because I used to the room to sleep/relax and the best views were at the beach. I did swim in the pool for a few minutes just to try it out and it was a nice little pool. Property was very well kept and really clean. Hotel provided beach chairs and for a beach tourist, just really convenient.

The beach, was really nice. Water was calm, blue and felt great. The beach was so clean and at night the strip of bars along the beach came alive especially on Friday. It was a good time and next time I visit St. Kitts I'd love to stay here again. The staff was friendly and the food was really good. I do have to say there was an issue with my online booking but after I showed them my online receipt they were able to fix the problem.

Anyway, as you can tell I enjoyed my time at Timothy beach. It was pretty much exactly where I wanted to stay on the island with good dedicated parking (if you rented a car, I didn't) and taxi's were readily available.

Stayed in room 44B

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank texas80
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed at Timothy Beach Nov. 21-25, after some initial confusion over the number beds in our room and a broken refrigerator, we were given Room 38-A. A beautful ground floor studio with a full kitchen that stepped out to a patio looking out to the gorgeous Frigate Bay Beach. The staff was on point and curtious. The location couldn't be beat! Ram's grocery just a 5 minute walk away and the best beach in St. Kitts on your doorstep. You can pay more for the Marriot but they have a beach on a rough ocean. Frigate Bay Beach has calm silky clean waters that is perfect for swimming and snorkling and relaxxing with a Rum Punch. My only complaint would be that the water pressure is a bit low and cold in the morning. So take your shower when you come back from the beach in the afternoon for better results. But do go!! Gorgeous green grounds... and tremendous value, can't wait to return.

Room Tip: There are a few studios available with full kitchens. Grab them!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Newyorker28
Basseterre, St. Kitts
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have stayed at this resort twice. The first time I had issues with the preparation of the room for my arrival, as I found that I had to clean the cupboards and drawers in the kitchenette, and wash dishes that had cracker crumbs left over from previous guests. I had to clean the vanity serface in the bathroom, but drew a line at the bath which was quite dirty. When I requested first thing in the morning that it be cleaned so that I could use it, I had to place a second call to the front desk at 3:30pm before someone actually arrived and cleaned up. The rest of my first stay was without issue and so I booked a second stay.
I am now at the start of this second stay.
This time the room was clean on check in on Sunday. The desk clerk was very pleasant and welcoming, and even arranged to have my 18th century wall hairdryer in the bathroom upgraded to a modern one.
However, the cable signal was weak and noisy and the TV picture appeared scrambled and so it was impossible to watch. I reported it immediately and was told that it would be addressed on Monday when the maintenance team arrived. On Monday evening nothing had changed, and the new desk clerk had no idea that there had been a report made, but promised that she would follow up and ensure that reports were made and addressed on Tuesday.
On Tuesday morning before I left for the day, I reminded the front desk clerk of my complaint and had to go state the problem again from scratch, just as I had to do the other times that I called. On Tuesday night on seeing that nothing had changed I again called the front desk. This clerk again had no clue what I was talking about, and had no idea about anything. I give up!!!!!!!

If all goes well it is a reasonably quiet decent place, but that is as long as you do not require anything to be rectified. There is no passing on of complaints and no-one takes responsibility for anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DorWill
Cameron Park, California
Reviewed November 30, 2012

While my wife and I have been to a couple of other Caribbean islands, we'd never been to St. Kitts. After some online research, she decided to book us at Timothy Beach Resort. Let me tell you, this is a wonderful little resort! The restaurant, aptly called "The Sunset," and the bar, called "The Dock," are right on the beach, facing west, with spectacular views of the sunsets over the Caribbean. The food was consistently excellent, and the service was above average. We had a couple of regular servers - Juliette and Doreen - who, like all the locals we engaged with, were always happy and friendly, and always made us feel at home. The rooms were clean and practical. We also had a great view from our front patio (see photos below). Overall, a terrific value for the money.

Room Tip: The resort is made up of several units, each with 4-8 rooms, I think. There were two upstairs and t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay

Been to Timothy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!