This was my third stay in as many years, and I agree with a previous reviewer who said: "you'd think there has to be a catch with this hotel. But there isn't ..." Which is why I keep coming back.
This hotel is ideally situated, sitting prettily on a hillside right on the Caribbean side of Frigate Bay. Although the beach might not considered by some to be among the top 3 for sunning and funning during the day, I would not rule out a stay here. You get value for your money here, with a Caribbean-style vibe, and a nice casual selection of "feet in the sand dining and "liming" along "the Strip." TBR's Sunset Cafe is aptly named - the sunsets around here are amazing - no two alike, day after day. The Cafe serves up very decent breakfasts, lunches and dinners . In addition, they are the only hotel in St. Kitts where you can enjoy a sea-side meal, as the Cafe and their bar, the Dock, sit right on the beach. Indeed, I have a hard time tearing myself away at breakfast-time, as there is nothing better than easing into the day with the sight, sound, scent and breeze of the sea as a companion. My favourite breakfast remains the coconut hotcakes and their traditional Kittitian Saltfish breakfast.
The staff is always very accommodating and welcoming. Return visits confirm that the awesome welcome afforded me a few years back was not a fluke, but a standard here. I have nothing but good things to say about everyone, from the managing director, to the front office (Virgil and Laurel are the ones I have had the most contact with, and they are truly gems), to the housekeeping staff, servers in the cafe and bartenders. Each and every one of them does their part to ensure a true Kittitian welcome. And they go out of their way to assist with any issues, queries, and problems that may arise. By now, I feel like I am returning to my home away from home, year after year.
I've stayed in a variety of different rooms over the years, from a one-bedroom with kitchen on the ground floor with a view of the salt pond and partial view of the sea, to an upper floor, single room. Last year's single room was very spacious, with large balcony, but it was so hot out that the balcony tended to hold the day's heat and I could not enjoy it. This year, I had a smaller, mountain-view room, and actually enjoyed it better than both of my previous stays. The king bed had a very comfortable mattress, which afforded me some great nights sleep. A/C, mini fridge, coffee maker and t.v. all seemed new(ish) and in good working order. There is now free wifi in guest rooms, which is a great bonus! Towels and coffee, sugar and creamer were replenished daily (and early!) Ample closet space, with plenty of hangers. I felt that I had everything I needed. True, the furnishings may be a tad dated, but for the price, I am not complaining. Be warned: the mountainview rooms' view may underwhelm some travellers. If you need a room with a view, please spend the extra money, as this could be a deal-breaker. It wasn't for me, because I don't spend a lot of time in my room and budget supersedes the need for a view. On the other hand, had I taken ill and needed to spend all day in my room, I might have felt almost claustrophobic with tiny balcony, smallish window and view of the hills. On the plus side, my room was a short walk from their pool and the Dock.
Bottom line: For the most part, service level is above and beyond what I would expect based on similar priced accommodation elsewhere.
I am sure that you can find more modern, luxurious, spacious accommodation at the big resort up the road with fancy shops and grand amenities on the property, but if you are after an funky, low-key "authentic" beachside experience, you cannot go wrong at TBR. It may not be for everyone, and it is great that there are other options in St. Kitts. But for me, the people and location really make this place. Plus, the vervet monkeys that come out morning and afternoon from the hills to frolic around the property, along with the lovely hotel cats that reside on the property, are an added bonus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on St. Kitts golden Caribbean beach, Timothy Beach Resort offers: •The only hotel in the upscale golf community of Frigate Bay located directly on the Caribbean beach •Friendly, gracious staff who are delighted to help make your vacation your best ever by arranging tours, activities & reservations •Lovely modern air conditioned rooms all of which feature premium channel cable TV and Free WIFI •Deluxe One Bedroom Suites with recently remodeled walk-in Kittitian Rainforest Showers and spacious furnished balconies adding an additional outdoor living space to your home away from home. •Two Bedroom Suite and Townhouse Options •A recently redesigned and rebuilt pool providing private relaxation and a commanding view of the Caribbean beach •The oceanfront Sunset Cafe restaurant and bar open daily for all meals and snacks •The popular Dock bar directly on the sands of Frigate Bay beach with Happy Hour Monday through Friday and Sunday live entertainment ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Timothy Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Timothy Beach Hotel Frigate Bay
- Timothy Beach Frigate Bay
- Timothy Beach Resort St. Kitts/Frigate Bay