“My Kittitian "home away from home"”

Timothy Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This was my third stay in as many years, and I agree with a previous reviewer who said: "you'd think there has to be a catch with this hotel. But there isn't ..." Which is why I keep coming back.

This hotel is ideally situated, sitting prettily on a hillside right on the Caribbean side of Frigate Bay. Although the beach might not considered by some to be among the top 3 for sunning and funning during the day, I would not rule out a stay here. You get value for your money here, with a Caribbean-style vibe, and a nice casual selection of "feet in the sand dining and "liming" along "the Strip." TBR's Sunset Cafe is aptly named - the sunsets around here are amazing - no two alike, day after day. The Cafe serves up very decent breakfasts, lunches and dinners . In addition, they are the only hotel in St. Kitts where you can enjoy a sea-side meal, as the Cafe and their bar, the Dock, sit right on the beach. Indeed, I have a hard time tearing myself away at breakfast-time, as there is nothing better than easing into the day with the sight, sound, scent and breeze of the sea as a companion. My favourite breakfast remains the coconut hotcakes and their traditional Kittitian Saltfish breakfast.

The staff is always very accommodating and welcoming. Return visits confirm that the awesome welcome afforded me a few years back was not a fluke, but a standard here. I have nothing but good things to say about everyone, from the managing director, to the front office (Virgil and Laurel are the ones I have had the most contact with, and they are truly gems), to the housekeeping staff, servers in the cafe and bartenders. Each and every one of them does their part to ensure a true Kittitian welcome. And they go out of their way to assist with any issues, queries, and problems that may arise. By now, I feel like I am returning to my home away from home, year after year.

I've stayed in a variety of different rooms over the years, from a one-bedroom with kitchen on the ground floor with a view of the salt pond and partial view of the sea, to an upper floor, single room. Last year's single room was very spacious, with large balcony, but it was so hot out that the balcony tended to hold the day's heat and I could not enjoy it. This year, I had a smaller, mountain-view room, and actually enjoyed it better than both of my previous stays. The king bed had a very comfortable mattress, which afforded me some great nights sleep. A/C, mini fridge, coffee maker and t.v. all seemed new(ish) and in good working order. There is now free wifi in guest rooms, which is a great bonus! Towels and coffee, sugar and creamer were replenished daily (and early!) Ample closet space, with plenty of hangers. I felt that I had everything I needed. True, the furnishings may be a tad dated, but for the price, I am not complaining. Be warned: the mountainview rooms' view may underwhelm some travellers. If you need a room with a view, please spend the extra money, as this could be a deal-breaker. It wasn't for me, because I don't spend a lot of time in my room and budget supersedes the need for a view. On the other hand, had I taken ill and needed to spend all day in my room, I might have felt almost claustrophobic with tiny balcony, smallish window and view of the hills. On the plus side, my room was a short walk from their pool and the Dock.

Bottom line: For the most part, service level is above and beyond what I would expect based on similar priced accommodation elsewhere.

I am sure that you can find more modern, luxurious, spacious accommodation at the big resort up the road with fancy shops and grand amenities on the property, but if you are after an funky, low-key "authentic" beachside experience, you cannot go wrong at TBR. It may not be for everyone, and it is great that there are other options in St. Kitts. But for me, the people and location really make this place. Plus, the vervet monkeys that come out morning and afternoon from the hills to frolic around the property, along with the lovely hotel cats that reside on the property, are an added bonus.

Room Tip: Solo travel - ask for a room closer to the office
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank JillTS

Reviewed May 5, 2011

Timothy Beach Resort is not a "super luxury" resort. That said, we would stay nowhere else on St. Kitts. We have been to Timothy Beach six times, and liked it immensely. It has always been our favorite - our last visit (more about that at the end) cemented our affection for Timothy Beach.

There is a variety of rooms. We've stayed in the ocean view studios and one bedroom suites (newly renovated bathrooms in the one-bedroom suite). Rooms are fresh and clean, nicely decorated; prices are reasonable; grounds are immaculate; location is superb (on the calm Caribbean side of the peninsula) ; staff is incomparable. Our minor questions were handled with alacruity and skill. It's a quiet place, without the flash and crowds of The Marriott down the road. Of course, it's possible to walk to the Marriott Resort in fifteen minutes, past good restaurants and convenience stores (some Marriott people discover Timothy Beach and come in the other direction).

Timothy Beach has its own restaurant and a separate bar, and is at the end of "The Strip," a series of beach bar/restaurants on Frigate Bay beach. We made all our breakfasts (had them on our balcony watching the monkeys),and some lunches in our kitchenette, but most nights we had dinner in a restaurant (all we tried were good - there were more than we could sample).

There is some snorkeling by the rocks just off the beach, but is it better at Friar's Bay, a quick cab ride around the Timothy Hill.

Three days before we were to leave, I collapsed on the beach and had to be taken by the EMTs to the hospital in Basseterre, where I spent the end of our vacation.. I will forever be grateful to Richard Boon, Timothy Beach's managing director and his staff for their assistance and concern. Their kindness was so extraordinary and comforting that it alone would have assured our desire to visit Timothy Beach Resort again. Of course, we would have wanted to do so anyway - hopefully my health will allow a return!

Room Tip: Choose ocean front - eminently affordable.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Meloise
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We stayed for one week ona room only basis so cannot comment on the food except to say that the restaurant seemd busy. Our charming room was on the first [top] floor and quite close to the reception and with a sea view and balcony - much better than the rooms which faced inland we thought. The room was large and comfortable with new twin beds clipped together. It was spotlessly clean and well decorated ina carribean style with clapboard ceiling and rattan furniture. No marble tops in the ensuite but all very adequate. There was a good little fridge, kettle and coffee maker and good flat-screen TV. You would not get much more in a five star hotel except for some glitz.. There was always someone on duty in the little reception area and they were always helpful. WE were greeted with a surprise birthday cake for my wife which was quite unexpected and delicious - a nice welcoming touch.
Frigate Bay starts just outside the hotel and is a good beach with gently sloping sand and some rocks at the end of the beach about 50 yards away which provided some interesting but not spectacular snorkelling. The row of shack restaurants stretchin down the beachside were worth avisit or two and although there was loud music in some we did not find it disturbine in the room.
We hired a car as we preferred the flexibility compared to taxis but these were always available. Altogether a very lovely but too brief stay

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank schlimm
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a hotel property to stay in that wasn't big and impersonal. Timothy's fit the bill. It is hard to describe other then fun, great location, nice beach and pool, good full service beach side restaurant, nice people and conveniant. Does need updating. The units are primarily privately owned and probably differ from owner to owner. Be sure to ask for a quiet, 1 bedroom, 2cnd floor unit with a lanai and view of the water.

Room Tip: call and make your reservation by phone
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank martinione
Reviewed March 8, 2011

The hotel and staff were great. Unfortunately, our room was robbed on the first night we stayed, which was a drag, but we refused to let that ruin our vacation. When staying at Turtle Beach, you don't have to leave the area to enjoy St. Kitts. We will go back in November, but more careful with our money.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jfisher820
Reviewed March 4, 2011

You'd think there has to be a catch with this hotel. But there isn't. OK, one complaint which I'll mention later. The clever people from the Marriot (ten mins walk away) realise that this is a nicer location, much more authentic and laid back, and they come to TB for breakfast, or to sit at the Dock bar at happy hour and watch the sun go down. (They can't do the latter at the Marriot as it faces east on the Atlantic side)

This hotel is lovely. It's not classy with silver service. But it's clean, relaxed, in nice grounds and the staff were friendly when we stayed there. Virgil is a bit of a quiet star.

The location is beautiful. Right on the beach. However, this is not the best beach on the island - maybe second or third best. A $10 return taxi ride to South Friar's beach (five minutes away) is worth it. However, you don't come to St Kitts for classically white powder sand Caribbean beaches. At TB, it's a sort of biege sand. But, the water is clear.

We had a 2 bedroom town house. They are quite clever, as such a thing doesn't actually exist. What you get is a two bed apartment on the ground floor (complete with kitchen)and then they open up a connecting upstairs ocean view double room and a hill view double troom to create a connecting "town house". So for four of us, we ended up with a six bed accommodation and three bathrooms. Always go for the ocean view. The hill view is a smaller with a tiny balcony - with a barely room for a solitary chair.The ocean view has a huge balcony with loungers.

This was a lovely hotel. You get what you pay for. If you want 5 star, go somewhere else. If you want real St Kitts laid back charm, come here. My only real complaint is that as the hotel is right on the calmer Caribbean side, its beach at times attracts dozens of local high school kids who hang out on the jetty at the hotel. I'm not against that. It's their island and I'd hate to see them excluded from the beach as they are, for example, in Pigeon Point in Tobago. But the hotel staff let them spill into the hotel area and sunbeds. Similarly, when we were there, the hotel hosted a birthday party at the Dock bar for a local kid. The noise from the sound system was excruitiating and went on for most of the day. The net result of both siutations is that we fled the hotel area of the beach and took a taxi to South Friars. Most of the other hotel guests we spoke to also felt the need to quit the beach and bar area too. It's a shame. The hotel management need to get this under control and decide what market they are in. Ad hoc earnings from hosting local functions do not sit comfortably with the needs of paying guests. It's one or the other. Both don't work.

That apart, a lovely hotel in what is my favourite, totally laid back and safest-feeling Caribbean island to date.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BCALBoy
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Was pleasantly surprised by this small resort. I do not know how they could have done any better. The staff were always helpful and Friendly, Dennis is the man of all trades from Baggage handler to Concierge, he took care of any need. Freindly cats kept me from getting home sick.

I would like to thank the staff, for a wonderful time

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
#3 of 3 in New Castle

Been to Timothy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!