We spent 9 nights at Rock Haven at the end of Feb, early March 2011. My husband had found a review of it in the Sunday Times travel section, he was so impressed by what he read that he emailed Judith Blake immediately. After some to-ing and fro-ing over dates, with Judith responding quickly and helpfully, we managed to secure our stay. We could not have done better anywhere.
Judith, who hails from Dominica, is an elegant, gracious and charming hostess of the 2 bedroomed accommodation. Her husband Keith is a quiet and dignified presence in the B and B and a member of one of the oldest families on the island. Get him to tell you about life there is his father's, grandfathers' and great-grandfathers' days, when some 7 families owned most of the island's sugar plantations. Judith herself, is well known, it seems, by everyone on the island from the lady at immigration to the taxi drivers and the restaurant owners.
Judith met us at the airport and returned us there at the end of our 2 week stay, even though, by then, we had moved on to stay elsewhere. This is typical of her generous commitment to her guests. She offers free access to the internet and phone and laundry is taken care of, all of which made our stay there incredibly easy and stress- free. Judith was always ready with help in recommending places to visit or eat and would willingly transport guests who were carless anywhere they wished to go.
We stayed in the self-contained suite below the house which was spacious and beautifully furnished. (See review of 15th March 2011 by gmack who stayed in the other guest room at Rock Haven at the same time as us.) Our room had a fully equipped kitchen which we did not use, but those more adventurous than us could cater for themselves. We had sole use of the shaded verandah area in front of the suite which was equipped with a table, chairs and sun loungers. This looked onto a beautiful garden and down to the sea on the Atlantic side.
Judith provides the most mouthwateringly delicious and beautifully presented breakfasts. She says she has 11 different breakfasts, of which we enjoyed 9 and would have happily tucked into repeats. These were served by Judith herself and the gorgeous Beverley. I am sorry that I only thought to start taking photographs of these marvels on the last couple of days, as I would love to have a full record of them which would remind us of the variety of fruit and cooked creations offered. Breakfasts came complete with large individual pots of delicious coffee or tea. Breakfast was served either in the family dining room, or, when the wind subsided, on the terrace, overlooking the ocean.
Guests have access to Judith and Keith's living area and we were never made to feel that we were intruding on their privacy, but always welcomed with smiles.(This was even the case when I inadvertently set off the burglar alarm and the Blakes were recalled from their dinner to deal with 'the intruder'!). Judith used to be known as the ice cream lady and we were lucky enough to enjoy some of the ice cream she made while we were there. Sadly she no longer runs this business.
Nothing was ever too much trouble for Judith and the level of our enjoyment of St Kitts was greatly down to her hospitality. We can unreservedly recommend staying art Rock Haven and I hope we shall return there in the future.
We hired a car whilst there and this increased our enjoyment of the island which we were able to explore in its entirety (not too difficult as one can drive around it in about an hour and a half). There are some fascinating places to see: Brimstone Fortress, the former sugar plantations of Ottleys and Rawlins, Caribelle Batik, as well as the stunning beaches, the beautiful coastline and the villages which are dotted along it. In order to enjoy these sights and the myriad restaurant opportunities to the full a car is essential whilst staying at Rock Haven.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rock Haven Bed & Breakfast receives ongoing accolades for its stunning traditional Caribbean beauty and graciousness. Creative architectural and design fusion superbly blends the expansive flow of a Great House with contemporary touches like vibrant fuchsia walls and a modern, over-sized kitchen. Guests welcome the warmth of this tranquil, serene, majestic home as the perfect setting to enjoy the sumptuous and exquisite breakfasts of owner Judith Blake, whose hospitality and cooking exceed all expectations! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Rock Haven Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rock Haven Bed And Breakfast
- Rock Haven Hotel South Coast
- Rock Haven Bed & Breakfast St. Kitts/Frigate Bay