“Disgusting” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Queens Head
Ranked #5 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We should have known not to order looking at the filthy surroundings, shabby interior and waiters dirty clothes. However we were hungry so we ordered hot pork sandwiches which were greasy along with thick slabs of over cooked meat. Overall a bad experience. Payment was taking before the meal arrived and poor service.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hanny86
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Not much to be said about this review other than its malicious.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Deciding on a weekend break, we saw the offer for The Queens Head in Rothbury & we were not disappointed. Set in the heart of the quiet Northumberland village, we arrived a little after 2pm. Showed to our room, the comfort and feel of the room made us feel welcome straight away.

We had a wander around the village, later deciding on the bar restaurant as our option. This was a very, very good choice. My girlfriend had the lamb and I settled on the chicken stuffed with haggis. After a wait which we didn't mind, it was very busy, the freshly prepared and cooked food arrived. It was hot, tasty, well cooked and excellent value.

Several beers & wines in the ccomfortable bar, few games of pool, our day was over.

The gentleman who served us during our visit was resplendent in his appearance, polite and generally a top bloke. The breakfast was fresh, tasty & like the evening meal, sourced locally. We shall be telling our friends, we loved our stay. Thank you all at the Queens Head.

• Stayed May 2013
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we hope you will be able to visit again soon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Following a day out at Cragside we (myself,husband and 10 year old son) called at Rothbury looking for something to eat in the evening. The staff at the Queens Head were very welcoming and friendly and we all found something on the menu to suit.

The surrounding were pleasant although some of the items in the dining room were a bit odd. I'm not sure it they were there just bacause it was close to Easter(stuffed toys and the like).

My son thoroughly enjoyed his proper burger, chips and beans followed by an ice cream. The childrens menu was quite varied and appeared a little higher quality than the usual kids fayre. I did try to persuade him to have one of the other choices however, not surprisingly burger won out. My husband enjoyed his gammon and chips and I was looking forward to steak, mushroom and ale pie.

This is when things went awry. I had been advised that the pie was steak mushroom and ale however, when it was received it was steak and kidney, Not being a fan of offal I called over the waitress to explain that I had received the wrong meal and couldn't eat it. She was apologetic and took the meal away to query it with the kitchen. She came back to me to say that the butcher had advised them the pie's were steak and ale and suggested I might like to order an alternative. I struggled but eventually chose a chicken dish from the specials menu. The waitress promised she would get it to me as quickly as possible so that I wouldn't be eating on my own.

Unfortunately by the time my meal arrived the rest of the family has finished and I did indeed have to eat alone. When the bill was received I was amazed I not only had to eat alone but we had been charged price of the chicken dish which was slighlty higher than the pie, a pound or two I think.

To be frank I was expecting some kind of gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience such as a copmlimentary coffee or drink, not being charged more due to an error. As it was getting late and we still had a fair drive home I didn't want to make a fuss and paid up however, this did colour my view of the dining experience and customer service at The Queens Head.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Choice of eating places in Rothbury is limited but this was an acceptable find. Very pleasant staff and very acceptable food.The battered fish was very good value from a choice of five /six mains.we did not stay in the hotel so cannot comment on the other hotel facilities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Drove up to Northumberland without booking a place. Turned up at the Turks Head in Rothbury and as it was my Fiancee's birthday we fancied a few drinks but when asked about rooms they did not have any available but she had rang the Queens Head and they had rooms. Was really nice of her. Turned up at the Queens Head ( Just down the road ) and was warmly welcomed and felt straight at home. Rooms were good. Had a great meal in the restaurant. Morning breakfast was one of the best full english i have ever had. Fiancee got a candle in her tomato to celebrate her birthday. Summed up the place. Brilliant. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Had a lovely drive through the Northumbrian countryside today & stopped off in Rothbury for a spot of lunch, it was a snowy day and not many of the cafe's etc were particularly inspiring however we then found the Queens Head. Staff were very warm, friendly and courteous, the menu had something for everyone, my husband had the bowl of chill & I had a hot sandwich with chips, both very delicious, a lunch for two with soft drinks under £15 was excellent value, would definitely recommend, thank you

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, its very much appreciated if you are ever this way again we do very good value B&B as well,

Thanks again
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd visit to the queens. Again the food was outstanding, the staff lovely and the atmosphere great.
Our night away was spoilt due to the fact our neighbour in room 23 smoked in their non smoking room, which resulted in our room having a strong smoke smell all night!
Not nice :(

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gillygirl1972
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I am so annoyed that your stay was blighted by thoughless people. Please accept our sincerest apologies, thankfully its very rare that people do smoke in our rooms so I hope you will consider trying us again.

Teresa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
#7 of 12 in Rothbury
The Orchard House
The Orchard House
#3 of 12 in Rothbury

Been to The Queens Head? Share your experiences!