“Getting there, but quite a bit to go yet.”

The Coquetvale Hotel Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Rothbury
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Small independent restaurant offering a fantastic range of British and Italian dishes using locally sourced fresh produce.
Cumbria
“Getting there, but quite a bit to go yet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We booked an overnight stay at the hotel but didn't realise it had changed hands. The new owners had the carpet fitters in on the day of our arrival, so all in all a bit of a rush. The bed was wonderful and both had a good nights sleep but there still seems to be a lot of work still to be done. All public areas had been painted and re carpeted, I suppose it will be some time before they get round to sorting out the leaking shower in room 1 but we do wish them well for the future.

Visited March 2014

Cleveland
“Italian dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

In-house Italian restaurant provided good food. We found that it seemed a bit incongruous to house such a restaurant but were pleasantly surprised. In fact, the pate has made it on to my "world-ranked" listing. The wine was a tad pricey but the overall experience was decent value for money.

Visited February 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad Service and Bad Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

A group of 4 of us booked a table for 7.30 on a Saturday night. Firstly we were given a table by the window which was very chilly, the room did not feel like it had any heating on at all. We were then given food menu's but no drinks or wine list. The starters we ordered took a while to come, I had ordered the goats cheese and beetroot salad which was okay but the goats cheese had been overdone and the 'olive bread' was so tough I could barely cut it with a knife. My other friends had pate in which they had to ask for more bread as they were given very little for the portion of pate that was there. For mains we ordered the sea bass, a chicken dish and 2 pasta dishes. My pasta dish was the tagliatelle garlic king prawns with chilli and cherry tomatoes. I was very disappointed to find absolutely no taste of chilli in my meal and no sign of any cherry tomatoes, the dish was very bland and was piping hot in one mouthful and warm/cold in another which made me feel queezy afterwards. My other friend who had the spicy tagliatelle with jalapenos managed to find one jalapeno in his whole meal and had the same temperature problem with his. We also had to ask to have Parmesan with our pasta in which I thought the waiter would have offered us when he brought the food out. The waiter then handed the bowl of Parmesan to my friend in which he had to do it himself. My other friend who had sea bass was given a bowl of microwaved veg that you would have with your Sunday dinner not a fish dish. After our mains, we waited ages to be offered the desert menu in which we eventually got the waiters attention and asked him to see it. One of the deserts that came was meant to come with a fruit compote when it actually only came with 5 blueberries and a swirl of passionfruit coolie on the plate! Finally after a disappointingly average meal we were given a bill total of around £115 to find out that we had payed around £18 for a bottle of 'house' wine! Now I know why they don't give you a wine list. We did not complain to any staff as the meal was for a friends birthday and did not want to ruin the atmosphere as it was their choice of place but I can safely say I will not be returning to the Restaurant Italia.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lucy182014
“Good but menu needs refreshing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Have been to Restaurant Italian 3 or 4 years ago and I know other family embers who have been and the menu doesn't seem to have changed for any of us who have been. I had the calamari and pizza and it was good but not spectacular, followed by the sticky toffee pudding which was bought in and I have had it before from supermarkets but was excellent. The other two members of the party had bruschetta which you can't go wrong with, for mains chicken cacciatore which was quite good and Panna Cotta which was definitely too set. The third member had prawn cocktail which was very filling continued by the lamb casserole which was very greasy and some of the meaty was too chewy to eat. I must say the local Ouseburn porter that I had was lovely, the service from 4 waiters & waitresses was very good and un-obtrusive especially for an almost full restaurant.

Visited February 2014
north east
“Thiefs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

took money out of my account from my debit card without authorization!

paid for groupon deal, they asked for card details when booking and they took £20 payment for no reason.

used the restaurant and got food to the value of £25 and drinks to £20 and they took £126 from my card. Total Bandits!

1 Thank daddedat