“Always obliging and good staple food”
Review of The Vale Cafe

The Vale Cafe
Ranked #10 of 14 Restaurants in Rothbury
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Always obliging and good staple food”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We always pop into The Vale Cafe when we're in Rothbury and have never had a problem with the food, service or environment - the outside 'netty' is an unusual feature. Was there yesterday and had a brunch, which was very tasty. Wife had an omelette and loved it. Tea and coffee were excellent and the waitress couldn't have been more helpful.
We'll be back.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Graham F

Surrey
“Gave this Cafe a second chance, they certainly will not get a third”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I went in here last year (August) for breakfast one Sunday morning when staying in Rothbury. We waited and waited then realised that the staff were all just sitting at a table and chatting. They were aware we were there, especially after I asked if we could just sit at any table.
I got a momentary glance then they continued talking. Needless to say we left.
Today we thought we would give them a second chance - BIG MISTAKE! we duly rang the bell as the Lady serving just looked at us. After ringing the bell she did come and serve us. We ordered a pot of tea which came in the obligatory leaky pot, a slice of Apple Pie and a Rock cake.
It seems the Rock Cake was aptly named and had a few currants thrown at it, the apple pie had been nuked in the microwave and was soggy and bland. The Waitress was even more miserable than the weather, and seemed very inconvenienced by the fact that we were there at all. It seems to me they trade on the fact that when all the other lovely cafes are full they will get the overflow. I guess if you are not a regular why bother ! Next time we are in Rothbury we will stand out in the rain and wait for a table somewhere they more welcoming and with better staff and food.

• Visited August 2013
Newcastle Upon-Tyne
“Disgusting food and hygeine”
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Came in here for a full English and both me and my partner were disgusted with the quality of the food, hygeine and customer service. Lady who served us was so miserable it was untrue. The tables hadn't been cleaned down and were pasted with conjealed ketchup and other suspicious substances. The breakfasts at £6 each were a complete rip off. It came really quickly after ordering which is a sign that the ingredients are precooked and then refried when ordered. So all the ingredients were dry and inedible. The beans looked like mashed potato and the bacon was like black cardboard. Every thing else was dripping in fat and by the taste you could tell the pans and fryer had not been washed for a good while. To top it off we found a short black hair in the food. Ergh! We left feeling ill. Should be called The Vile Cafe.

• Visited May 2013
Montrose, United Kingdom
“Rothbury - Motorbikes - Sunday - Excellent”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I'm in Rothbury most weekends passing through when out on my motorbike and like many other bikers love a cuppa and a chat when I stop.
Well The Vale Cafe is always handy for a cuppa and a wee bite to eat.
In my opinion best cup of coffee around.
Staff are all great and friendly.

• Visited September 2012