“Cake!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Rothbury
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Fantastic range of goodies in this quirky little tea rooms, lovely staff and an overall great experience

There are newer reviews for The Sun Kitchen

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had an early afternoon tea here with friends: nothing special , just very pleasant. The place is quite crowded when full, but early afternoon not too bad. Loo is across quite crowded room and then through the door to the kitchen and then a right turn so felt a bit odd but I'm sure meets all H and S requirements.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We returned last weekend from a fantastic fortnight self-catering in the superb Northumberland village of Rothbury and so want to share our excellent experiences at the Sun Kitchen Cafe with other visitors coming as first-timers to the area. Having researched the various eating posssibilities beforehand and, having completed the 5 and a bit miles of the 'Above Rothbury' walk on our first day there, we decided to take a look at the various options and finally decided that the Sun Kitchen seemed to fit our needs at the time. I can honestly say that we weren't in any way disappointed. From the moment we arrived, it was warm and cosy and we were made to feel totally welcome. The menu is simple but the food excellent and the friendliness second to none. Main meals are freshly prepared, piping hot with ample portions and they're certainly good value. They also serve a delicious broth full of hearty, chunky vegetables - perfect for a cooler day - plus a good variety of sandwiches and plenty more besides. And don't start me on the cakes and desserts - to die for! There are four different flavours of scones to choose from - all freshly home-baked. Glorious homemade cakes too and the best ever lemon meringue tart and fruit pie or crumble. All are so scrumptious that it's almost impossible to know what you fancy most, believe me! And throughout a visit it's such a sociable little place plus nothing is too much trouble. We loved it so much that we popped in three times and were never disappointed. Why try anywhere else when you're so happily satisfied? We wish them well and long may they thrive and prosper.

2  Thank jolin35
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Always a good experience to eat here. Lovely staff. Teacakes are tasty, coffee is fair to good, cakes enormous and the lunches look amazing. I live just a few miles away and it's my first choice café in Rothbury.

1  Thank carol b
Reviewed May 25, 2014

As I live in Rothbury, I use the Sun Kitchen a lot and over the years have sampled pretty much everything they make, apart from the soup (only because I don't like soup in general!).

The tea-shop is attractively and interestingly decorated and is a pleasure to visit, as it's so very welcoming both to local customers and day-trippers.The menu is extensive and caters for both customers wanting a full meal and those who just want a sandwich or a cake as a tea-time treat.

I would specially recommend the cakes and pastries, all home-made and my favorites are always the apple pie and crumble, not to mention the carrot cake, washed down with their excellent coffee!
Highly recommended!