“Our honeymoon visit”

Newcastle House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

The second time we have stayed here and there will be many more to come . All staff are friendly and well presented . The room we had was more than adequate for our requirements. Food in the restaurant was lovely with portions plentiful. Value for money 10 out of 10 . Cant wait to go back ... steve and caryn hedges

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Newcastle House Hotel

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed over on Saturday 19th October to catch up with friends and had an amazing Steak cooked to perfection byJason as usual great atmosphere and Sarah the Landlady and Ann behind the bar were as welcoming as ever.What I hadn't bargained for was the great music that was on,it was a brilliant night.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 6 really good but above the bar so if you want an early night which I didn't then...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent fresh food, our party had fresh fish lovely chicken burger and kids meals were real fish not prossesed like kids meals usually are. Oh and generous portions! staff very pleasant and friendly and is situated in ideal location in town centre! Would defenitely make the 1hour trip to visit again. Thank you x

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hattonfamily88
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Myself & 6 other family members (2 being children) visited on a Friday lunchtime for some food this was our first visit to the newcastle house.. We were very impressed by the welcoming and friendly staff, we got a variety of meals fish which was very tasty & fresh, beef stroganoff was perfect, scampi also being very fresh & tasty, homemade chicken burger which was absaloutly gourgeous & tasty, Children loved their homemade fish and all meals were served with beautiful hand cut fresh chips which were delicious! Overall our lunch was fab i would most definitely visit again I live in newcastle town but if I was local i would be back for lunch tomorrow!! We were very impressed & couldn't fault a single thing! Thank you so much!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We discovered Rothbury a couple of years back and have been making regular visits since. The Newcastle was the first place we ever ate in Rothbury and we both honestly thought it was the best Sunday roast we'd ever had. We thought we'd stay over last weekend and were not dissapointed. The staff were great and the room was excellent VFM with great views. Thanks for a great night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gaynor1972
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Not been to the Newcastle House for a meal since Sarah took over, disgraceful I know as we live locally. My friend and I decided to try it, we were not disappointed!!!
It was Thursday and Tapas night was on the specials board.
There was about eight tables in front of us, we waited about 5 minutes for our order to be taken and about 20 mins for the meal to come, but please bear in mind that everything is cooked to order.
We went for the Tapas:
Garlic Mushrooms, Prawns, Pork Fillet in pepper sauce, the sausage dish with a bowl of hand cut chips.
Just before the dishes arrived a lovely fresh salad with a dip and bread were placed on the table.
The Tapas were delicious and very filling, the chips were the best we have ever had in a restaurant and all for the price of £16.50 for two people. We left feeling very satisfied and full.
Will certainly give the Newcastle House a try again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked into Newcastle House for two nights to use it as a base for spending time in Northumberland. We chose it based on price and location. My husband also wanted a bar which served real ale. There is no dedicated car park however, parking nearby is not a problem as there are no parking restrictions. Our room was a double en-suite with a warning that it may be noisy late at night as it was over the bar area. However, as our stay was mid-week this wasn't an issue. We were however awoken on our first morning by the brewery delivery - not sure if this would have been an issue if the window had been closed. It was open on arrival and we left it open as it was very hot (summer of 2013). Although there was a free standing fan available in the room. The price of £45 per room per night was room only and we decided not to book breakfast on site as I don't eat enough breakfast to warrant the price charged £8.50. We choose instead to breakfast in the nearby Tomlinson's Cafe and Bunkhouse where we paid £14 for the two of us. My husband had a full English breakfast and I had scrambled egg on toast which included 2 slices of lovely brown bread and fabulous eggs plus a cappucino and a white coffee - excellent value. Back at the hotel our first night coincided with the evening Curry Buffet £10 a head. You can go back for as many plate refills as you like, although I did not. That night I asked for a bottle of wine as it's cheaper than buying by the glass and asked if they would keep it for me while we nipped across the road for a drink. This was not a problem and I was given a wine bag - a strong transparent carrier which was filled with ice - brilliant idea. The free wifi wasn't great. My husband and I are on the same network T mobile and have the same phone and yet I was able to access the internet but he was not. I also overhead another customer complaining about the wifi. Overall a nice friendly place which was good value for money. One more thing, there is a clock tower a few doors away which chimes each hour and each quarter. I didn't mind this but some people may.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
The Hog's Head Inn
The Coquetvale Hotel
The Coquetvale Hotel
#3 of 12 in Rothbury
Tomlinson's Cafe & Bunkhouse

Been to Newcastle House Hotel? Share your experiences!