“Our trip yti Newcastle House was lovely, staff were very hospitable and genuinely caring, the hotel has a wonderful newly instal”

and 1 more site!
Newcastle House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We travelled up to Rothbury to visit the beautiful Cragside Estate and further research our family history.

I called Newcastle House prior to our stay and they were very friendly, caring and accomodating. When we arrived Sophie greeted us, I told her my name and she had memorised my mothers name and had everything ready. We were very impressed. The extra blankets, the special request for gluten free meals, melons for my mother for breakfast (who had recently come out of hospital). It was five star service all the way.

There is a wonderful new, thick, cozy carpet that resembles a luxury blanket as you enter. Gillian, Heidi, Sarah, Rosie and Sophie took excellent care of us. The chef, Jason, was very accommodating. He blended delicious lentil and tomato soup for my mother and arranged her favourite fruits. Set up gluten free bread and cereal for me and made a terrific omlette. One morning I arrived after breakfast had ended and he greeted me with a big welcoming smile and made me poached eggs and salmon - a heavenly breakfast.

Our room was quiet and well heated with a power shower. Ask for room 11. The towels were fluffy and soft. Extra blankets awaited us (just in case). It was very clean and well vacuumed.

I grew up in the hotel industry and have worked in marketing and events in 5 star hotels in London as well as in private Cosmetic Clinics. This has made me quite fussy, but I can genuinely say the Newcastle staff are absolutely lovely and you will be very well taken care of and have a lovely holiday. Enjoy. :)
Jacqui
Chelsea
London

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jacqui-Armstrong-T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you're looking for somewhere to lay your head and enjoy a good meal at the same time then this is the place to do it. The staff are so friendly it feels like you're a regular, nothing is to much trouble. My husband was able to sample every Ale before choosing and the food was great. Steak and mushroom pie was homemade and fantastic. Liver and bacon just melted in your mouth....I'll leave the Sticky Toffee pud to your own imagination!! If you need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights whilst taking in the exceptional scenery well this is it....

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Janeyb21
Saintes, Belgium
Reviewed May 15, 2013

really lovely place.welcoming with some tea in the bedroom. cosy, clean. having booked on internet you are never sure what it will be. it was much better than I expected. it felt good to come back after a visiting day and enjoy the lounge and restaurant. chat with people and getting some good tips for tourism. thanks to all the staff friendly and helpfull. :) :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sophie r
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Lovely hostel and great stay! My sister and I loved the hotel the minute we stepped in. The room was nice, comfortable and spacious. We really enjoyed the lounge area where we could sit, relax and enjoy a drink after a walking day... and meet the locals!! :-) People were very friendly, either the hotel staff or Rothbury inhabitants. The prices are very affordable and we really had a wonderfull time.
PS: if the hotel responsible read this, could you tell David John (Bosco) that we saw Alnwick castle on our way back and it is really worth seeing! Thank you for insisting David :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Eliane d
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Opted for a last minute stay here for one night and attracted by the price. Good central location in Rothbury. Friendly welcome. Took a double room with ensuite (£42.50) which turned out to be a family room so plenty of space. The decor and fittings are very dated but the room/bathroom were very clean and the bed comfortable. The windows are single glaze but we were not severely affected by noise. There is a nearby church with hourly bells but think they must be muffled at night. We were getting up for breakfast otherwise would have been woken by the tipping of empty bottles into the bin so might be worth asking for some consideration if you are fancying a lie in.

Paid the extra for the breakfasts (£8.50 each) which were worth it and the sausage was top quality. Filled me up for the whole day to the point I was still not really hungry by evening time. Nearly had a mishap when drinking my fresh orange I nearly choked on half a cocktail stick but hope this was a freak situation and no idea how it got there.

The beer was a bit questionable where the bar staff advised that a barrel was on the way out but still pulled me a pint from it. Needless to say it was a touch cloudy so had the one and found somewhere else to drink. Locals seemed friendly enough but it was a bit like Phoenix Nights in there. Opted to have our evening meal somewhere else.

It was friendly, clean, basic but functional and reasonable value for money. Would use it again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed April 11, 2013

For what we paid (just £37.50 for two people each night) this hotel was a little gem. Some of the decor is dated but is made up for in the friendliness of staff and locals a like. We paid extra (!) for an ensuite room but peeked our head into the shared bathrooms/toilets and while also dated they were spotless and warm. We had some traffic noise in our room but only to be expected in an older building. Our room wasn't huge but had enough space to walk around and plenty of storage for a few nights stay. The walls were quite thin though so you might cross your fingers for quiet neighbours. We paid for the breakfast one morning, HUGE portions! (Goes for the restaurant too!!) set us up for a long days walking a treat - saw us well through until dinner time!! Thanks to all, we're already planning our next trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights in February , was very lovely little village ,qaint little tea room . Hotel was also very lovely needs a little TLC but room was clean and comfy , host Sarah was very friendly and welcoming . Bit of noise in morning from main street but other than that you get what it says on the tin . Have already recommended it to few friends .

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
The Queens Head
The Three Wheat Heads Inn
Springfield Guest House
Springfield Guest House
#10 of 12 in Rothbury

Been to Newcastle House Hotel? Share your experiences!