“Relaxing in Northumberland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothbury
Katerina's Guest House
Ranked #8 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Maldon, United Kingdom
“Relaxing in Northumberland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

Great, laid-back stay at a very friendly, clean and comfortable guesthouse. Nothing is too much bother for Cath and Ian and the breakfasts are unbelievable. Won't need to eat for days now.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6Cassy9, Owner at Katerina's Guest House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear past visitors,
I'm so sorry that it took this long for me to realise that I could thank you online for your kind review. I now know this because TripAdvisor sent me an explanatory letter today!
Since I received the letter, I have written individually to everyone who reviewed us in 2012 and am determined also to thank those who reviewed us way back in 2011 or before.
The existance of TripAdvisor is so helpful to accommodation providers and the public alike. For the first time, the needs of the intending holiday maker can be matched to the available establishment for the good of both.
TripAdvisor could not function without individuals like yourselves who are prepared to spend their time, considering their opinion carefully and taking time to write, placing it on the www for all to see. Very public spirited!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

This small guest house in the middle of Rothbury was a delightful place to stay. It has three double rooms which are nicely laid out with four poster beds and ensuite facilities. Everywhere was exceptionally clean and the house was comfortable with a cosy atmosphere. Cath cooked wonderful breakfasts (we would recomend the special porridge!), while Ian ensured the toast and drinks kept coming whilst providing insights into Northumberland humour. We always felt ready to face the day after that. Evening meals can be booked in advance and were superb. Rothbury is a beautiful village near to Alnwick and is well positioned for visiting Holy Island, Bamburgh Castle, and Alnwick Castle while Edinburgh is only two hours away! The glorious sandy beaches are only half an hour away and the coastal paths are well signposted. There are also lots of local walks along the river and Cragside (National Trust) is close by. We will definitely be booking again. Thanks for a lovely holiday Cath & Ian.

Room Tip: We liked room 2, but all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We have travelled extensively to many parts of the world and stayed in lots of very nice places but we have never been inspired enough by any to actually leave feedback until now. Cath and Ian are a friendly, informative, hospitable couple who run a beautifully clean, charming and comfortable establishment, with great atmosphere due to its age (something we tourists look for in uk accommodation). The guest house is in a prime position in Rothbury with access to lots of places for tourists in any direction, Hadrians Wall and Cragside to mention just two. If you are looking for a place to stay that ticks all the boxes, consider this one! Thanks for having us Cath and Ian

• Stayed September 2011
Pontefract
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

A small B & B but great service and wonderful rooms. Rooms are not large but they are so comfortable, tons of storage, delightful olde worlde charm with four posters and en-suite. Cath and Ian are great hosts producing lovely breakfasts and giving a homely atmosphere. Be prepared to put on a pound or two whilst you stay but you can walk it off in the lovely surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Room 3 is the smaller room but has the best views. Try the porridge with 'Scotch'!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Veryy cosy and intimate B&B with a personal touch! Phone if you want to be sure of the availability, or sent a mail in time...
Excellent food and very kind hosts!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
beds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife and I booked for 4 nights with our friends joining us for 2 of those nights. On arrival Cath showed us our room and gave all required info. Breakfast in this place is an experience. I am probably addicted to Whiskey porridge for life ! The traditional breakfast was up there with the best I have tasted. Our bedroom ( number 1 ) was extremely clean and comfortable and full of period charm. The room tray was superb with a great selection of teas , coffee and drinking chocolate. Complementary cakes and bottles of cold water in the fridge merely added to the " haven't chosen right smugness".
rothbury itself is a charming village very olde worlde and wonderfully placed to explore the many places of interest and beauty in the locality.
In summary , Cath and Ian were perfect hosts , nothing was too much trouble and their attention to detail was excellent. I would recommend anyone looking to go into the bed and breakfast industry to stay here for a couple of nights to see how it should be done.
Needless to say we will be visiting again.

Room Tip: go for room 1 good size bath and shower very quiet
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reading Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

We were in Room 1 at the back of the guesthouse which is cosy with a four poster bed and ensuite bathroom with shower over the bath. it was great to have a varied choice of breakfast with excellent quality food. Cath and Ian are very helpful and Ian is quite a character with plenty of information current and historical about the local area. Rothbury is a good place to stay as it has a few pubs and restaurants to choose from. On Ians recommendation i tried the chicken stuffed with haggis at the Queens Head, very nice. The drive over to Alnwick from Rothbury offers superb views of the countryside and on a good day you can see the sea. The Treehouse Restaurant at Alnwick is a lovely place to eat as the food is very good and the venue unusual as it actually is a treehouse. There are so many things to see and do in the area and some good walks around Rothbury as well. Katerinas Guest House makes a good base for visiting a beautiful unspoilt part of the country.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple