“Lundy pub of the year every since 1868”
Review of Marisco Tavern

Marisco Tavern
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: The Marisco Tavern is The Pub on The Island of Lundy. We do everything in singularities here. We have The Church, The Shop, The Road, The Farm...Being the only pub we take our monopoly position seriously and so have a positive outlook regarding ensuring that we don't abuse our position. We want you to come back to Lundy, not just the pub, and so we do our best to keep quality high and prices low.We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, 7 days a week (timings vary seasonally) and most of our meat comes from the Island - lamb that comes ready-seasoned by the sea air is our speciality.Just one little note though - if coming across on a day visit by boat, please don't expect a full-blown dinner menu at lunchtime: we'll probably have about 400 hundred other people looking for lunch at 1 pm.
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

What can I say? As always a great time was to be had by all. Dropped slightly on the points due to the pork on my sister's plate being quite fatty, but I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 meals we had there during our stay.

Made use of the games and the books. Company entertaining as usual.

Very much looking forward to my next visit in December :-)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was our 5th stay on Lundy Island and we love the atmosphere in the Marisco Tavern. No mobile phones, iPads or piped music just the chatter of other people enjoying the good food and beer. We ate in the Marisco every night and were not disappointed. The food was excellent pub grub and the service was quick. The staff were very friendly and it was great to see some familiar faces. Keep up the good work we will be back !

1  Thank Sue P
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were enticed to visit Lundy (Which was great - well up to our expectations) by a review in the Telegraph of the excellent food in the Marisco. On the boat over, we were excited by the thought of a superb lunch. What a bitter disappointment! Pasties, burgers or baked potato!! I feel it is my duty to point out that the lunch menu is extremely basic, to save other people from making the same disastrous mistake as us.

7  Thank DevonGrockle
johnthechef, Manager at Marisco Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

I can only apologise for our failure to meet your expectations, I would love to do "superb" lunches instead of the "basic" fare that we offer. However that's just not possible. I'm assuming you came across recently on The Oldenburg, along with two hundred+ others. For all of last month we've had 100 or so staying visitors, our normal complement of 27 staff plus volunteers and contract workers. That's a potential lunch trade of about 400 people.

We have to keep things as simple as possible at lunchtime given ths volume of customers, the size of our kitchen and the fact that there only two of us working the kitchen at any given time.

I do feel you are doing us a major disservice though by describing the menu as nothing but "pasties, burgers and jacket potatoes."

Yes we do pasties - two types - one vegetarian and the other usually our hand-made Lundy lamb pasties, made for us, using our own Island-bred lamb, by Blackwells of Bideford.

We do burgers - two types - a 100% beef burger from a local family butcher in Ilfracombe and our home-made lamb burger which once again is made using our own lamb.

Jacket potatoes come with a variety of fillings ranging from Prawn Marie Rose to Cheese and Beans and pretty much everything in-between.

We also do a full selection of baguettes, sandwiches and toasties (all with a choice of up to three fillings) as well as chips in various guises, including cheesy and chilli.

There's usually a home-made soup and occasional lunch "specials", which if you're lucky could be the leftovers from one of our "Ram Spit-roasts".

I'd say that 99.5% of our lunch visitors (which is potentially about 400 on any given boat day) are satisfied with what they get - it's fast, simple and inexpensive. If I even attempted to replicate our evening menu at lunchtimes I can guarantee that I'd have a raft of complaints from people about how long it took for their food to arrive.

Most people, stayers and day-visitors visit for the holistic Lundy experience. Simple, fast, food at lunchtime is part of that holism and allows day-trippers the time to get out and about and enjoy our Island's uniqueness.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been going to Lundy Island for over 20 years, sometimes twice a year. It's an amazingly beautiful place whatever the weather conditions or time of year. Once you've visited you're hooked and there is a physical need, drawing you back. It is probably the most relaxing place I have ever been, the feel of the place is magical!

The Marisco Tavern is indeed the only pub on the Island. It does good hearty breakfast (lovely), the best cheesy chips at lunch time and a wide selection of evening meals. The value for money depends on what you want to eat, as with all places some things are invariably better than others. You can always choose from the many dishes using locally raised stock such as Lundy and soay lamb and now pork. Lundy Lamb burgers are ace! The only thing I would say is some of the more obvious pub grub is quite highly priced due to having to bring it to the Island.

Off to Lundy in a couple of weeks, can't wait. Already re-booked for next July and thinking of popping across by helicopter in December. I don't just like Lundy, I love it!

3  Thank Julja B
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Food in here is great, the menu is particularly fine in the evening (we didn't realise this until day 3 so this is to save you from the same error. Have the puddings too, all of them. Atmosphere is friendly and vibrant and as others have pointed out, leave your phones, laptops and your city ways at Ilfracombe.

3  Thank Ruth N

Been to Marisco Tavern? Share your experiences!