We were looking for a quiet, comfortable, self-catering hotel and we really scored with Royal Sun Resort! The location was ideal and the price was great. High up above the noise of town (although Los Gigantes is relatively tame) and on the 5th floor we were above pretty much everything. The rooms were built as flats for purchase so they are much bigger than your average hotel suite. The terraces were huge and have glass balconies so you can see everything whilst sitting down. We had an expansive view of the ocean and the huge cliffs that give the town it's name. The pool was clean and comfortable.
The kitchens were good, but lacking in a few basic utensils (no spatula, no cooking spoon - we had to use a pasta spoon!). Also, I'm sure every guest has to buy salt and pepper and only uses a minuscule amount. Would it kill the hotel staff to just leave the rest in the room for the next guests? We didn't eat at the restaurant (as vegetarians, the pickings were slim, which is why we self-cater in Spain anyway). The mini-market on site was good. The Venezuelan lady who worked there was super friendly and fun to chat with.
My only other minor quibble is that they charge to use the hotel safe. I know this is not uncommon in Spain, but it's incredibly tacky. Also, be sure to put up your do-not-disturb sign up or else housekeeping staff may knock at 9 am!
There were a few children staying there, but it didn't seem like a particularly good place for children (or teens/20s age groups). More of a couples place for sure.
Playa Las Arenas is a long walk, but a great classic black sand beach with all the amenities. Part way there, in Puerto Santiago, there is a fabulous snorkeling spot. We named it "Snorkle Cove" but I don't know if it has a name. Also, it is well worth going up to El Teide national park and hiking around in the lava rocks! Very cool! Part of the drive is a little scary (I would drive myself, not take a bus!), but most of it is totally fine and it's so worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing proudly against the backdrop of the majestic cliffs that give their name to the tranquil resort village of Los Gigantes ("The Giants"), the Royal Sun Resort is set on one of the cliffs' highest points, with unsurpassed views of the village, the charming marina, and the sea beyond. Quality is the hallmark of every aspect of the Royal Sun Resort, from the tasteful, designer-furnished apartments and the choice of on-site restaurants, to the level of the service offered by the friendly staff. Two swimming pools, one for children and one for adults, are set in the middle of the complex, with a sparkling waterfall flowing from one to the other and superb panoramic views from their surrounding sunbathing terraces. Next to the swimming pools is the pool bar "Oasis Abraxas", supplying the perfect refreshments to keep you cool whilst sunbathing. From elegant dining in "Aqua" restaurant, managed by Lucas Maes, one of the prestigious Canarian chefs, to thematic buffets in the sophisticated "Regency" restaurant with its splendid views, the range of restaurants within the complex serves every taste. For evening entertainment, try the impressive "Imperial" bar and lounge, complete with an entertainment area where regular shows take place. If you like a bit of activity, the modern gym and the aerobics room should keep you busy. One hundred and twenty apartments are spread over six floors, linked by corridors and lifts. There are studios, one-bedroom, two-bedrooms and three-bedrooms apartments, all spacious and comfortable with designer furnishings including air conditioning in lounge areas, satellite flat screen TV, direct dial telephone and a complete kitchen. The bathrooms have a walk in shower, or semi-circular bath and a window that looks out on to a mini cactus garden. Bedrooms have a double bed and doors opening onto a large private balcony or terrace, furnished with sun beds, a table, and chairs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Royal Sun Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Sun Apartments Hotel Puerto De Santiago
- Royal Sun Resort Los Gigantes, Tenerife, Spain