“Very nice hotel in excellent location”

Barcelo Hamilton Menorca
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Es Castell
GreenLeadersGold level
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel in excellent location”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We have just returned from 14 days in a suite in this hotel. The room was excellent although more drawers would have been welcome. The views from the room are stunning and the bed and seating very comfortable.
There have been varied comments about the food but we had an enjoyable meal each evening. The arrangements are typical of a buffet set up in a Mediterranean hotel and unless one is through choice or necessity on a very restricted diet, it is hard to imagine not being able to put together a satisfactory meal each evening. As to the cooking or food quality, I can only say that we had no problems and no one we spoke to expressed dissatisfaction .
The hotel is very modern with good decor and very clean. The glass roof is an odd choice for the lounge as it is too hot to sit in during the day but in practice we would probably not have sat inside during the day anyway.
The aerobic equipment in the gymn is good and we would like to thank Nuria ( often ably supported by Andrew and Carmen ) for their company in the daily keep fit class which with Nuria's
direction kept us supple during our stay.
Finally a short stroll to Cala Fonts in the evening for a drink and to soak up the relaxing atmosphere and views add to a desire to return after what overall was a highly enjoyable experience.

2 Thank Graham N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel has a great position overlooking the bay and has wonderful views. Our first experience of this hotel was not great though. We arrived early, about 9.30, and were told our room was ready just needing to be checked over. We were invited to go over to the pool bar for a coffee while we waited. For a start there was nobody there to serve coffee as it was still breakfast time, so we decided to go for a short wander. I'm glad we at least did that as well over 3 hours later we were still waiting for the room. I was expecting a wait for the room having read other reviews and was prepared for this, but being told the room was 'ready' then having the wait annoyed me as we could have gone out for brunch instead of hanging around. The room we eventually were given was not as I expected, a twin not the king size we were supposed to have and our balcony was smaller than others further along. After a nap we decided we were not happy about this room and went to reception, I must admit the lady we saw there could not have been nicer, there was one other room available, she gave us the door card and told us to have a look and see if that one would be better for us. What a difference, larger room, with the expected king bed, decent size balcony and much improved sea view. The hotel was busy I believe it was full most of the 11 nights we were there, but even so there was always room around the wonderful spa pools on the roof, my one criticism here is the lack of shade. There are some double bed sunloungers up there that have ropes across saying 'occupied' with shaded tops, we never saw any being used. I assume they charged for their use, the space could have been put to better use by having some umbrellas as they didn't appear to be making much money from this wasted space.
The food was ok, breakfasts really good, evening meals varied a bit but no worse than many others. I must mention Margaret in the dining room, she is a human dynamo, works so hard and such a pleasant friendly person.
Drinks are quite pricey here but unless you drink a lot I would not recommend AI as there are lots of nice restaurants and bars in the area. Just down the slope from the hotel is a nice little bar 'Musica' , very friendly, reasonable prices. Cheesy nachos to share €4, lovely.
I would return to this hotel and recommend it, especially as it's adults only - bliss.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great but opt for pool view if you want sun on your balcony.
1 Thank paukei
Es Castell
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I already knew this hotel and specifically requested a Superior Room WITH SEA VIEW. When I arrived I was EXTREMELY disappointed to find that they had given me a room overlooking a side road (not on the front façade of the hotel) and the only way to see a tiny piece of sea was to lean out of the balcony railings, you could NOT see any sea from inside the room.
It is abolutely scandalous that they consider this a room with sea view and charge you the extra for sea view. (The rooms that really have a sea view overlook the whole entrance to Mahon port, which is spectacular, but the room they gave me sadly did not. The only reason why I chose this hotel was because I wanted the full sea view, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere. I am sorry to say Barceló spoilt my whole holiday and I will not be using their hotels in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts

5 Thank Judith S
Central Scotland
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I do think that some of the reviews of this hotel are a little unfair.

We chose to stay at this hotel for one week all inclusive. We were very pleased with the hotel itself and the room, although a little on the small side was perfect for what we needed. We only had clothes for one week, we didn't bring our whole wardrobe so we found the facilities perfect for storage.

We found the hotel, clean, quiet (due to an adult only policy) and in a good location, with only a short stroll to the lovely harbour area where a good selection of bars and restaurants are available. This is also where you can catch the water taxi into Mahon, or for trips around the harbour area.

The choice of sunbathing areas was good with the pool area, the roof top area and an indoor pool where the roof slides back. However, a few more sun brollies wouldn't have gone amiss as the sun can be rather brutal at times.

The food was adequate, and probably ranked a bit higher than some of the AI hotels that we have experienced in other parts of the world. Breakfast is a well stocked buffer, lunch was either a 3 course (with 4 choices for each course) served meal, or you could get a more snack style lunch at the pool bar, and the evening meal was again a buffer. However, we did feel the need to eat out a couple of times at night just to get relief from the buffet style of eating.

There was usually some type of entertainment each evening, which was again on the better side of some of the entertainment I have viewed from afar in other AI hotels.

My only gripe would be that sometimes I felt some of the staff were a bit abrasive, but they were outshone by the others staff who were friendly and helpful.

We are known for being rather picky when choosing hotels, and when we returned home our friends asked us if we would go back to the hotel, and we both immediately said yes, so it certainly can't be that bad.

Room Tip: We chose a sea view room which was lovely, but if you want sun on your balcony on the afternoon choo...
1 Thank Scotsbunny
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We have just returned from a week's holiday in this hotel. Our suite with sea view and terrace was superb - plenty of space, lovely sitting area and a wonderful view of the harbour. The hotel is immaculately clean and the breakfasts are good, with plenty of choice. Only objection is that there is no shade for eating on the terrace. The evening meals are poor, they look unappetising and are not hot which raises the question of safety. There is also no shade on the roof terrace so we were not able to sit there. Pool area a bit depressing as it is surrounded by buildings on each side. We found the staff helpful and polite, a lovely hotel but it needs to improve the evening meals, perhaps fewer dishes but better quality.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny and have terraces that wrap round the corner.
2 Thank Elizabeth M
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just got back after a weeks stay at this wonderful hotel. Each year we go away somewhere different all the time hoping to find that ideal place and guess what .....
A short drive from the airport to the hotel in a nice small but tidy mini bus and we were first drop off
Straight into the hotel to check in but unfortunately it was 11.50 and the room wasn't ready but we were offered a room to change in if we wanted and asked to call back in 1hr. So off we went to explore
Down to the port side and as we were thirsty decided to call for a drink at Dinkums ( as we had read about it on this website) and we were welcomed by an english guy who provided us with free brochures and made us feel welcome immediately
Back to the hotel at 1pm and our room was ready. A sea view with balcony and very very nice , little short on storage but hey we were only there for a week
We got changed and headed off to the Sky bar to hit the sun loungers and spa pools. There was plenty of room and we unwinded (if thats such a word) through the afternoon in the glorious sun
At night down to the buffet meal which was superb. Ignore what others say about it being boring. There is plenty of choice and all well cooked same goes for breakfast in the morning although I must urge you all to try the sausages Mmmm yummy !
If I had anything to moan about it would be the bar staff service which is very snail pace at times but you are on holiday and whats the rush
The staff are all nice and thsi hotel for me gets top marks
I could go on and on but there is only so much you want to read
What I must say though is leave the hotel at night and go to the waters edge outside the hotel look to your right and you will see the Musica bar which is so welcoming and again so relaxing.
The word Musica suggests in your mind loud music but let me tell you its quite the opposite with quiet spanish music playing in the background and at night if you request someone will get the guitar out for all to sing along to
We have been on a lot of holidays and never gone back to the same place but this could be the exception next year

Room Tip: Make sure you pay extra for a sea view - its worth it
7 Thank Sando41
Cardiff
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed a week on B & B basis: breakfast was excellent - Cava on offer every day if you wished! We cannot therefore comment on the quality of other meals. The roof top Blue Sky Bar provided a good service during the day - we rarely used either bar area at night. There are many lovely bars and restaurants within a 5-10 minute stroll away. The fact the hotel is adults only ensures a quiet relaxing break. As others have mentioned there is a lack of drawer space in the bedroom but the wardrobe is large with plenty of shelving so with a little imagination and organisation the lack of drawer space is not a problem. All staff especially those on reception are very helpful and efficient. Our door lock failed to work one day, by the time we got back to our room the "maintenance man" was there fixing it! Overall a very enjoyable stay. If your budget stretches to it I would certainly go for a room overlooking the sea - we will next time!

Room Tip: Sea views appear to be worth the extra.
3 Thank mrsbuzzard
Occidental Menorca
#3 of 6 in Punta Prima
Casas del Lago Hotel, Spa & Beach Club - Adults Only
La Quinta Menorca Hotel & Spa

Been to Barcelo Hamilton Menorca? Share your experiences!