“OK. Not more, not less than a hostel”
Review of Hostal Horizonte

Hostal Horizonte
Ranked #1 of 3 Es Castell B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“OK. Not more, not less than a hostel”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Poor Breakfast, good room, poor parking posibilities, A/C not working. Very clean, great sleeping confort. Near to the Harbor in Maó, cheap, but for a hostel was enough. Don´t expect RitzCarlton fo 20 bucks a night

Room Tip: Front view rooms are loud, back view means no view, you are looking to a wall. (not this one from Ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
South
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 7 nights in July and were a little nervous about staying in a hostal, thinking of bunk beds and communal bathrooms etc. Well, what a charming place we found. Large rooms wit TV and, oh, luxury of luxuries...air conditioning! With temps at 35 degrees, this was most welcome.
For the price we paid, to actually get breakfast included was a real bonus. Don't expect the full English but toast and coffee is very welcome. You can have croissants or cake if prefered.
What can I say about the owner Amadeou? What a lovely, polite gentleman, he works hard to make guests feel welcome and goes out of his way to help in any way he can. He can cook too! We had the best carbonara ever tasted, I actually asked for the recipe which will be used often at home.
You can get lunch and dinner if desired and for 10 euros the menu del dia is very, very good value.
With a ten minute walk into either Es Castell or Mahon, this place is really well placed. The hostal is open for 365 days!
I will definitely return here and recommend it wholeheartedly. Well done Amadeou!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank trailertrashSouth
Codogno, Italy
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I and my wife have been stayed in this hostal for 8 nights; if you are looking for a cheap and calm hostal nearby Mahon, you found it.
The owner, Mr. Amedeo, is a really kind man.
The room was clean, silence and the sheets were changing twice a week; there is air conditionated, TV LCD, bathroom with shower.
Only one bad thing: my box springs were really noisy.
I only had to ask to the owner an hairdryer and he kindle gave me immediately.
There is a basilar breakfast but, because of the price you paid, it's normal.
The hostal is located nearby of Es Castell (where you can go to eat to some good restaurants and coffe bar) and Mahon, the new capital. You can bring them in less than 2 minutes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I visited this hostel for two nights on 11th and 12th of June 2013. I chose it because of the price which was significantly lower than others, booking via Expedia. Normally, Expedia take all the payment but in this case, payment was required on arrival.

On arrival, I was met by the owner at the bar, paid him the required 50 Euros for two nights and was immediately pleasantly surprised by the good standard of hotel. I was then shown to my room, which contained an en-suite I was very happy with the state of it and felt like it was real value for money. Like the hotel, the room was clean and simply decorated - perfect for the lone budget traveller. There is WIFI and a flat screen TV on the wall and whilst the hotel is some way out of the city to the East, the number 2 bus goes from the road opposite to the bus station in town every half hour - ending at 2145hrs.

I was going to give this hotel a much better rating and review, however upon checkout i had a unpleasant experience:

I presented my key and was in return presented with a bill for 50 Euros! I explained to the manager that I paid upon my arrival as requested, however he was most insistent that I had not paid. When I arrived, I was really tired and just wanted to go to be and upon giving the manager my cash, I foolishly did not ask for a receipt. Initially, I felt that the manager was just being a bit of a buffoon, however got the distinct impression that he was trying to rip me off when he immediately backed down after I fronted him out and he did not pursue it any further, just letting me leave. I would never dream of ripping a person off, was most offended and I explained to him that he should issue receipts when dealing with cash. Naturally, I left without paying double the price but I feel that others may be intimidated into handing over more cash in such circumstances.

I was going to stay another night on my return to Mahon four days later, however chose not to and booked elsewhere within the main city. Please see my forthcoming review for this hotel on my profile.

In conclusion, I would recommend this hotel as it is good value for money but I would suggest to ALWAYS insist on a RECEIPT when giving anybody on the reception (which doubles as a bar) any cash.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Pauly1975
uk
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Hostel Horizonte, Son Vilar, represents exceptional value for money.
The food (3 Courses) is outstandingly good and could be equally placed in any 4 or 5 *
Very clean and the whole place sparkles and smells fragrant and immaculate.
My mother and I stayed June 3rd to 8th June and believe we could not have chosen a better or nicer or more friendly hotel.

Please try Horizonte, highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Milan, Italy
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The fair price, lower than most in Menorca, had let room for some doubts before the departure. But the real experience has instead been very pleasant with a basic but confortable accomodation, gorgeous food for dinner and great staff. The location was quite good not far from Maon center (20 min walk to the port) and the airport, ideal if you have a car (but a bus stop to Maon bus station is anyway just in front of the hotel). Amedeo, the owner of the hostal, proved to be an excellent chef, waiter and barman (we discovered he has led for years a successful Italian restaurant in Menorca) and has done all the best to make us feel at home: he has surprised us many times with simple but greatly tasting dishes with high quality ingredients despite the exceptionally fair costs (several people from the local village use to have dinner, sandwiches and drinks there) and we have concluded he is one of the best host we have met in our travels, maybe a bit shy but a sort of monument at undestatement, humblness and honesty. And the whole place, starting by the entrance and restaurant room and ending with the sun-burst local people having drinks there, in the end looked to mirror this no frills but high value person. I'm quite sure I've never written a more enthusiastic comment on a hotel, even a 5 stars one (but of course you shouldn't expect to find anything resembling to a 5stars accomodation there).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hostal Jume
Hostal Jume
#7 of 8 in Mahon
Hotel Artiem Capri Menorca

Been to Hostal Horizonte? Share your experiences!