“Great Holiday and Hotel”
Review of SENTIDO Cala Vinas

SENTIDO Cala Vinas
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cala Vinyes
“Great Holiday and Hotel”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This is a great hotel. The service was excellent. It's located about 10min cab journey from magaluff strip(pubs and clubs) which cost €5 and the taxi rank is right outside the hotel.

On arrival we were offered a glass of orange juice while we checked in which took no time at all and everything was explained very clearly to us. No language problems.

The room was very clean and was cleaned everyday if asked. Room came with a fridge, tv, phone etc. The two English news channels didn't work while stayed there but on departure we were told that if you ask at reception you can specify what channels you would like, I.e. German, polish, russian.

The staff were very friendly and the entertainment team were fun. If they do the swim across the water challange where you guess what time it takes them to do it, it will take them around 2mins 12secs mark. Hehe you can win a bottle of bubbly.

The pool was cold and so was the sea(we were there at the end of April - begining of May and were told that by the end of May both will have heated up.

There were alot of saga holiday trips there which is a good thing as you don't have stag and hen parties staggering about. Alot of other Europeans there too.

Inwould recomend that you tip the bar staff as they are very nice and think they rely on tips.

There is a row of small shops just at the enterance to the hotel, if you are going to use them for snacks and water go to the shop furthest away which is connected to a small restaurant as it is alot cheaper.

The food for breakfast, lunch and dinner was very European.... No spanish tapas. No complaints though as it was made and served to a high standard(and im a fussy eater).

We booked through easyjet holidays and had our transfers included in the deal which came all in staying all inclusive to 440GBP each.

Hope the photos and the recommendation helps.

Thom and Hellen aged 24.

• Stayed April 2011
5 Thank thomalexa1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2011

just came back today from 6 nights here, what can i say??? read previous review and have to agree with the transfers, our flight was 12.15 and they wanted to pick us up at 7.20!!!! no thanks!! got a taxi instead, 20 mins, anyway, the entertainment team is just starting a new season, with 2 new staff helping WILL, hmmm they need to get up 2 speed FAST!!! the food is as before the staff are ALL very good, they are really friendly, a SI or GRACIAS, goes a long way. booking up for sept as we speak. ... the pricelist for the spa and wellness centre is CLEARLY posted, indoor pool free, the rest 10 euros. the massages are very good, had 2 myself, they are a little pricey , but you are on holiday.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tony7
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I have to agree 100% with the previous post. Be careful of the luggage ramp, it's steep both ways, the entrance / lobby area were impressive and gives an impression that the rest of the hotel would be like this, not so.
There was no welcome, I had Mr Grumpy, I think three words were exchanged, "check in" and "passport" and then had to part with EUR54! before I even got to my room, room safe for a week EUR24, deposit EUR10, pool towel deposit EUR20. Handed a torn off bit off paper, really tacky, you are not told where the bar, restaurant or pool is or given any explanation about anything.
The room itself was ok but I could hear both my neighbours either coughing or when tv was on. The bedspread is a horrible courdroy that matches the curtains, really not nice to sleep with as a top sheet. The balcony overlooked the restaurant roof and dicarded fag packets but if you ignore that the view was lovely.
I was all inclusive for the first time ever on holiday which came in handy as the area does not have much choice in places to eat unless you fancy going to the Shetland Bar across the road. Breakfast was decent, the juices are not fresh, avoid the sugary apple juice it was just gross, the water for the tea comes from a machine that dispenses coffee so it was off coulered or had a splah of coffee in it. For lunch/dinner the salad was lame and limp, how can you get salad wrong? if you can't get pasta or rice right then thats a sign but you can get chips with everything. The wine tasted watered down, usally after two or three glasses you would feel it. I also didn't feel comfortable lingering after dinner when your plate has been removed from you, most people just ate and then left. The chairs are not exactly comfortable.
The first day at the pool had annoying activites going on, trying to relax and read a book to cheers and singing of "ole ole ole ole" was not relaxing.
The cove itself is nice and the little beach was great.
Nearing the end of the holiday I started having hotel envy, the hotel directly across the bay is the Barcelo Cala Vinyes, lovely pool area, nice staff, restaurant and bar, I wish I had stayed there.
The bus stop is just outside to the right of the hotel for a trip to Palma or some shopping / eating at Porto Pi. The Old Town in Palma is a treat and the tapas / bistros served excellent food. Ask your rep or reception for a bus timetable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank scotsguy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2011

hi there,
I'm phil and this is my first review.

I've just come back from a five night stay at Sentido Cala Vinas. Before arriving at Cala Viñas me and my friend had spent many hours pouring over the numerous reviews on Trip Advisor and other sites. We were taken aback by numerous comments comparing Cala Viñas to paradise on earth, particularly, the funny story about guests always given a glass of orange juice on arrival. So touched by this minor detail, i decided to email the hotel to ask if it was true and not just a 'one off'. To my surprise I received an email back from Javier Prat within minutes of sending. He confirmed that a glass of orange juice would indeed be waiting. With this in mind we set off from London Standstead and arrived around 11pm in Palma. After a bit of a wait inside the shuttle bus we arrived at Cala Vinas around midnight. Staggering! The first thing that struck us was the incredible amount of marble. Seemingly everything was made from this beautiful stone. The floor, lift facade, counter, ceiling; we felt like royalty as we wheeled our luggage down the beautiful slope and the extremly sophisticated double doors swang open like an opera singer reaching her highest note. We walked in with astonishment attatched to our faces where we met Pedro. I reached my hand into my coat to produce my passport as is usually the done thing when Pedro usured me to stop. i looked at my travel partner and he had an air of assurance which quelled my initial concern. Pedro dissapeared for 30 seconds and then returned with a silver tray and gorgeous 2000 thread egyptian cotton cloth which was sat on by an ornate jug containing....yes, you guessed it, orange juice. Pedro took one glass, held it to the light, sat it down and poured. He cocked his head and gestured that we should take it. After some trepidation we both took a glass and downed it. It was a quiet and simple moment but the little ritual acted like a wax seal on both our minds.

Cala Vinas was taking the hotel experience seriously and with a respectfulness usually only found on sites of extreme holiness. Pedro wasn't finished there. "Are you hungry?" Pedro asked, his head nodding very slightly as if anticipating our response. We turned to each other yet again and in unison uttered "We are, yes". "Please, come this way". So we wheeled our luggage round the corner and into the dining room where a table was set and a sumptuous cold dinner was waiting for us under the protection of cling-film. A boiled egg, salad, chicken escallop, new potatoes" It was understated but cobbled together with the love and care usually associated with a provincial farm house. If felt like a scene from a film, wherein two explorers had wandered across a warm and accommodating house after hours of bitterly cold travel. I held the egg up and my travel partner looked at it and I clearly remember his comment "They must exercise their chickens and feed them good food". He was right it was like no egg I had ever seen in my life on earth, it was from a happy chicken and now we were happy. Pedro returned once more to check everything was okay and as i finished the final bite of my chicken escallop i felt warm and fuzzy all over. It was time for our first nights sleep in the wondrous Cala Vines!

We arrived in the room and put our credit card key into the sliding slot and pushed down. The green light turned on and we pushed the door open. There was no light, my heart sank then my friend Martin with an assured look on his face put the card into a crib like device and suddenly as if by magic the room lit up like a Chistmas tree. To our left was the door to the bathroom. The bathroom was top to bottom in marble with a toilet, beeday, bath and shower, a towel rack with two towels, a hand rail with a small towel to dry our hands with, a huge mirror, cups which were hermetically sealed in plastic and a small bin in the corner. It was fantastic. The room had two separate beds with fresh 1000 thread egyptian cotton, a flat-screen television, wardrobe with hangers and a door to a beautiful balcony with the most stunning view of my life. Not only did we look out on the fabulous hotel swimming pool but behind that was the crystal clear turquoise water from the beach and a craggy cove too. We were very tired by this time so it was a quick wash, teeth cleaned, twenty minutes watching BBC news 24 and then closing our eyes for bed.

We arose very early the next day, twenty minutes before breakfast was even ready. I bounced out of the bed, cleaned my pegs and sat whilst I waited for my more sloven travelling partner to raise from his slumber. Once Martin was up and had gone through a long period of reacclimatising himself to being alive. (I for one have never understood how it takes some people so long to come too). Once ready we took the lift down to floor H and made our way to the dining room.

BREAKFAST
The dining area was vast, one entire 100 ft wall was dedicated to the housing of food. At the start we had a coffee machine then cheeses, meats, boiled eggs, olives, salad, yogurts, cereals. Then baked beans, sausages, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, bacon, fried tomatoes. Then fruit, oranges, kiwi, mango, melon. Multiple orange juice machines were scattered as were water dispensers. To the left was the pastry area which housed, croissants, pastries, rolls, sliced bread and a conveyer toaster also crackers. We were blown away by the scale of choice. It was too much. so vast was and rich in selection. I chose to eat modestly and take the healthy approach whilst I looked on in horror as Martin would fill his plate with rashers of bacon, sausages and baked beans and visit the buffet multiple times in one sitting. We sat overlooking the swimming pool with the stunning view that mirrored the one from our bedroom.

WELLNESS
After letting breakfast go down in the lobby it was time for a 'Wellness' session.

We put on our trunks and made our way to the ground floor in the lift, then greeted by a friendly dark haired woman who demanded to see our receipt. This was retrieved from our room and given a cursory glance and we were given a fresh towel and allowed to pass. We reached a large sign which had a series of numbers on with a corresponding illustration and a name.

I can't remember all the steps but from memory it started with a shower with incense. (thought it was rather lacking in any sort of smell). The shower had a series of jets that were positioned in an arc. You walked into the booth and pressed a button. After a short delay cold water was sprayed from the lower jets, this subsided after a few seconds and the initial shock turned into a pleasant warming sensation. This would continue until the large over head jet dumped it's payload on our heads; freezing our cores then warming. Step two was the Sauna. We spent 15 minutes here and then another hot/cold shower, after which it was an ice bath, where you had to put ice all over your body and go mental. Next up was the body temperature wooden loungers. The sign suggested that a cup of tea would be a nice addition but we never bothered. Next up the Hot tub, 15 minutes and it was time for a turkish bath. This was broken unfortunately so we skipped that and had another little Sauna followed by a Scottish Shower. This was freezing cold and sorted your head out big time. Then it was time for a little swim in the indoor swimming pool and a hard water massage from large jets that were installed around the edge. Feeling totally sorted out it was time for twenty lengths in the outdoor pool. Im finding writing this review annoying now so I will be very brief about the rest of the trip, the outdoor pool is wicked and you can have a cafe con leche outside from the well stocked pool bar. The lunches and dinners mirror the breakfast in choice. Desserts being very well catered for: jelly, ice cream, moose, fruit, cakes, crackers... list go's on. (jellys were dodgy). The entertainment staff in particular the bubbly Sophie were great and made us aware of all the day time activities like Archery, killer pool, petang etc. The evening entertainment was hit and miss but the cocktails which were part of the all inclusive deal were out of this world. The beer was pretty mediocre mind.

The internet in the lobby was hit and miss and could rarely be relied upon to work. This was the only real issue we had during the five night stay and I hope they manage to fix it. All in all Cala Vinas is a fantastic hotel and for the money is impossible to beat. It says it's four star, I'd say its three and a half star if I'm being totally honest but for £20 a night it's impossible to fault. 10 out of 10.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank philiet
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Have just returned from a SAGA 7 night break at this hotel, and found absolutely no faults with it at all. Lovely setting, beautiful views from the balcony of a very comfortable, clean room on the 10th. floor. Husband swam in the hotel pool and in the sea from the lovely little cove, and despite it being October, the water was pleasantly warm. We were lucky with the weather, and every day of the week was warm and sunny. The food suited us and being with SAGA we were on an all-inclusive basis. The self-service food was extremely palatable, with plenty of choice and wine was 'on tap'. The entertainment was lively and suited us. The staff were friendly, and service was good. As usual, we could find no fault with SAGA, --excellent rep. and service and good excursions. We certainly hope to return as this was one of the best holidays we have had.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank holiday186274
Bellshill
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would go back there. It is up a large hill from Magalluf but a taxi was only 5 euros and we really didn't go into Magalluf as it has become quite run down since we have been a few years ago. The hotel isn't for anyone who has difficulty with walking due to the steep hill.

The hotel is very clean, rooms are quite modern. The pool was great no need to run out for a sunbed lways plenty available though there is a lack of umbrellas. You can also use the indooor pool which you access with your keycard.

The spa was great as were the therapies go and try one to help you relax a wee bit more.

The food was a bit repetative but I like salad and I'm not too fussy. Breakast was the best meal of the day. The restaurant is oprn in between meals for snacks e.g. burgers, rolls, salad the door is left open and you help yourself.

The drinks were the best I have ad on an all inclusive holiday. Good measures. Give the bar people a tip please, they are very good we gave them 5 euros every night.

The entertainment is your usual stuff but it is funny due to the act Will is "Amazing" which is his keyword.

The small gift shop is excellent value for money and is cheaper than the shops in Magalluf.

The catamarna picks you up at the hotel to take you into Palma or a tour of the island. It costs 16 euros to palma.

The hotel also has free WIFI.

I would go back here as it was a complete chill out holiday The great thing was there were no kids. Hurrah!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lesleyforest
essex
Reviewed October 13, 2010

this is a nice clean and well run hotel, very quiet hotel and postion a bit out of the way for the less mobile (saying that saga hols do go there) about 25 mins walk from the bustle of magalauf, good food always something to choose from and always nice and hot, sun on the pool area all day, it is true that there is a shortage of umbrellas but we had no problems as there is a sheltered spot that hardly anyone used above the pool area.
the entertainmant is as you would expect bit cheesy but the entertainment team try really hard all day long.
just a quick mention although the barchello is rated better the sun beds there always seemed in the shade till about 1700hrs

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Intertur Hotel Hawaii Mallorca & Suites
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
#1 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to SENTIDO Cala Vinas? Share your experiences!