“Will not be returning”

Occidental Cala Vinas
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cala Vinyes
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the close location to Palma,but found it a bit too remote as there was very little in the area surrounding the hotel. Our first impression was the standard of room having requested luxury rooms, the only luxury was the view over the beech and sea. The food was very basic for four stars espcially the breakfast which catered more for continental style. The hotel mainly caters for Spanish tourists and eastern europeans. The gym in the hotel was very basic and the alleged adult only swimming pool did not exist, The adjacent beech area although only small catered well for those who wished to use it although be aware of the JELLY FISH which seemed to be stinging swimmers on a daily basis, including my wife, causing quite discomfort for a few days. Due to leaving the hotel late evening i requested to keep my room longer on two occasions i was told this was not possible due to the hotel being full,but on my third attempt and a more helpfull receptionist I kept my room at a small additional cost.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,051)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my mother and brother for a week. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere and part of the staff was quite annoying. They tried to get everyone to attend to aerobics and stuff. It wasn't very relaxing. Another thing was that there was a rule that said it isn't allowed to reserve the sun beds but nobody cared. There also were a lot of Russians who thought they own the world. I wish smoking would have been forbidden at the pools. But there were also really good things. The breakfast and food overall was excellent, most of the staff was lovely, pools were great, we got the opportunity to keep our room all day when we were leaving for 24€. Good to know if you're thinking of this hotel: take all inclusive or half board, buses to Palma go only every 3 hours, taxi from the airport costs 45 euros... Very good place anyway :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Petriina R
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just got back from this hotel in lovely setting all inclusive drinks branded names and very good food ok and always found plenty to eat .The staff very quickly changed our room to 3112 which gave lovely views over the bay .Down side the entertainment area full of smoke and looked like a car park area the public area toilets not enough and not clean .We did enjoy our stay would we go back perhaps not due to overall layout (top may steps poorly lit)

Room Tip: block 3 best and central to everything
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela H
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We (3 ladies) stayed here for a long weekend break in late may, we came for sun & rest and that's exactly what we got!
The hotels public areas are all modern & well looked after. The views over the bay is truly stunning.
The bedrooms are a little tired but very clean.
All inclusive option was very good, good choice of food & drink!
We found the staff all polite & professional.
Couple of little points the hotel could look to improve on are: large mirror in bedroom, better lighting on stairwells and perhaps some evening music in the bar areas.
Overall a great place to stay for both views & rest in the sun, make sure you dip into the crystal clear sea too! Look forward to visiting next year.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank mandybkent
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was a lovely trip early may 2013 with lovely weather.

The hotel is located in a lovely quiet bag the other side of magaluf it's walking distance but u feel miles away once at the hotel.

The best thing about the hotel is the all inclusive option the food was fantastic and the drinks are all top brands and well made. Cocktail of the day and fresh bean coffee bottles of coke I. The restaurant and bottles of house wine are lovely. I have not been to a better hotel for food and drink normally its help yourself but its all served in the restaurant and the staff were very friendly.

Thee food and drink were the best part by far everything else could do a little improvement ie..

Rooms slightly dated
Entertainment a little ropey
Pools cold
Swimming pool area could be cleaner

But all in all great food, amazing drinks, friendly staff, nice quiet relaxing beach, good location.

Kids club was ok they could do with a few more activities and better English speaking people but the kids enjoyed it.

The spa was a big let down cold pool, sauna not working, Turkish bath cold empty room and when I paid to have my nails and toes painted they had two nail colours both purple and all lumpy!! Would not recommend the spa at all.

Overall I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Sea view in block 3 as nigh as possible we had 3418 and the view was great!!! Xx
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank lambchopsandgarfy
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Go to this hotel for a reasonably priced family fun holiday, or if you want a base for exploring the island. Do not go to this hotel if you are looking for peace and quiet or a high standard of accommodation, or if you are a light sleeper.

I have just returned from a long weekend with 2 of my children (3 and 14), booked independently (rather than through a tour operator) and at the last minute, in a desperate bid to escape the terrible weather in the UK. I was aware of some of the very bad reviews, and I am pleased to say that it really isn't as bad as some people have made out, although I would not want to come here in high season, nor would I be happy if I was in block 3 right above the entertainment. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and I paid approximately £75 per night, which I thought was very cheap for the three of us, so I wasn't expecting to find the Ritz!

The hotel is located about 2 miles south of Magaluf and is set into the cliff face around a pretty cove which it shares with another big hotel and apartment buildings. Transfer time from the airport is about 20 minutes or so in a taxi, cost about 45 euros. It is possible to walk into Maga from the hotel, but I would not recommend this for ladies on their own (or in high heels!) or for anyone with a pushchair, as the route is not along a seafront prom but along twisty, hilly roads with no pavement for the most part and poorly lit. A taxi costs about 5 or 6 euros and is definitely a better option. Palma is not too far away, a taxi there costs about 25 euros.

The hotel itself comprises 3 blocks, with the buffet restaurant and bar in block 3. The blocks are not particularly attractive buildings. The bar and entertainment area in particular is not the nicest, and bears a striking resemblance to the basement level of a multi-storey car park. However the drinks they serve are very nice!

We had a family/disabled access room which was very large and had a little kitchenette and a big balcony. The balconies are not great for young kids in my opinion because they have horizontal bars which (although they slope inwards) are easy for an adventurous child to climb (as my 3 year old did within seconds of going out there). The fixtures and fittings were quite tired and old, apart from a large, brand new telly, and there were a few minor things that needed fixing - a kitchen cupboard stuck open, wonky bathroom door handle, safe not working and a bedside light that came off the wall in my hand! But nothing that would spoil my holiday! Shower was powerful and the water was hot, bed was comfy (maybe a bit hard for some people) but needed more pillows. These rooms don't feel 4*.

The main gripe with this hotel is caused by the design of the blocks and acoustics of being on the cliff. In common with many hotels, the floors are all tiled and there is no sound proofing, so the rooms are very, very noisy, the worst for noise that I have ever stayed in. Just someone walking normally down the corridor is THUD, THUD, THUD, someone opening their door is CLANG BANG, someone wheeling a suitcase sounds like a train going past etc. The entertainment was clearly audible in the room even with the balcony door closed and the telly on, and we were some way away from it in block 2. So if you are sensitive to noise, don't come here!

There are 3 swimming pools here plus a jacuzzi which was not yet up and running being the start of the season. All the pools are fairly small. We had no trouble getting loungers, probably because the hotel was not yet busy. There are no sun umbrellas, but the loungers looked new and all seemed to be in good condition. At certain times of day a lot of them are in deep shade. The kids pool has slides and water jets, and is really good for young kids, the best I have seen anywhere, so full marks for this! There is also a kids club, not sure what ages are catered for.

There is a small sandy beach, the water looked clean and clear. There were loungers and umbrellas, but I think there may be a charge for them, so we sat on the sand!

We found the food to be OK, not as good as at RIU hotels we have stayed in, but I paid twice as much to stay in them, and at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

I found the staff at this hotel to be very friendly and helpful without exception. Benita who checked us in was very efficient and spoke perfect English. The enthusiastic animation team even managed to get my 14 year old involved in the stretching by the pool! Feel a bit sorry for them because they no doubt get a lot of complaints from people about noise, etc, and there is nothing really that they can do about it.

For anyone wanting to see more of the island I would recommend a day out in Palma, very lovely city and amazing cathedral. Take the vintage train to Soller for wonderful views of the mountains. Majorca is beautiful!

I would sum up by saying that if you want a luxury holiday, pay the extra. If not, bring earplugs!!!

Room Tip: Avoid Block 3 above the entertainment
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank themadprampusher
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is very good hotel located in calm neighborhood. There is no city around and bars so do not expect this (nearest city is 25 min walk). But if this is not most important for you then this is great place to stay. Two pools, nice kids area, nice beach (although small). Good food, special events and concerts, activities planned for every weekday. The only drawback was room. It wasn't dirty or old but simple and clearly not 4 stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Blau Punta Reina Resort
Blau Punta Reina Resort
#2 of 3 in Cala Mandia
Sol Guadalupe by Melia

Been to Occidental Cala Vinas? Share your experiences!