“Great time” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We arrived friday 13th Dec , 2 days after 'the great storm' and we had great weather , 6 days sunshine, 1 cloudy/drizzly.
There was a little damage to the hotel where the rain and wind had caused some damage but over the week we were there they seemed to repair all the damage.
We had a great time with no real complaints, Some of the food could have been a bit hotter , but overall excellent choice and quality. I can understand some folks complaining it' s quite hilly but anyone with any moderate level of fitness can manage the hills and walk into Gigantos.
1 pool was heated, but we swam in the cool pools everyday no problem. Plenty of sunloungers and the nightly professional entertainment was a lot better than a lot of hotels. Half an hour free wi-fi per day was enough for us, and the local pubs were great for watching English sports, and we enjoyed Route66 for live music after the hotel entertainment finished.
All in all a great holiday, we might go back, but also liked the look of the ' adult only' hotel in Los Gigantos, so might try there next time.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,012)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Had 1 week here from 30 November. A lovely looking hotel with great views. Made a nice change to have a sea view room without having to ask or pay extra for this. Rooms were clean and plenty of hanging space. Beds very comfy. All areas of the hotel were smart and clean including the pool areas and all the toilets. No complaints about the food, plenty of choice for every meal.

Pool area had plenty of space and available sunbeds, we used the upper decked area away from the pools as this was quieter.

The area round about was quiet which suited us as we just wanted to relax for the week but enough bars and a few places to eat if you wanted a change. The bars in the hotel were sufficient and waiters ready to serve drinks whenever you wanted a refill.

I would definitely like to return as it was our first time in Tenerife and due to the first 3 days weather not being too good we didn't bother doing any trips so would like to explore more of the island and would return to this hotel. The wifi cost 25 euro for the week but I thought this was well worth the money. Also pleased to find there were pool towels available as I had not seen any reports about these.

Only suggestion we would make is to provide a coffee machine in a public area for early risers as it would be nice to be able to just go and serve yourself before breakfast starts.

Room Tip: Excellent for a quiet and relaxing holiday. Probably not for teenagers or young adults as surroundin...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
alloa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Have Just returned from the Barceló and stayed from the 10th till 17th Dec. check in was quick and had a lovely sea view. Our first 2 days was very stormy and the Island was on red alert. It was seemingly the worst rainfall on record in Tenerife in such a short space of time and I give top marks for the hotel coping with the deluge of rain flooding in the hotel and the staff done a great job in keeping as much amenities operational despite power cuts etc. The hotel is designed showing natural rock and open spaces as part of its design and very ingenious so the downside is that its open to the elements slightly. I see that a previous guest has uploaded photographs of public areas flooded and buckets /towels etc to catch water.. this very unfair and I commend the hotel for doing a sterling job under very difficult circumstances. Food... great and lots of choice and have stayed and many 5 star resorts in Europe and I actually enjoyed my food a lot more here.. Room.. spacious and beds very comfortable and had a relaxing sleep each night. Entertainment.. Animation team were very energetic and the shows in the evening were good albeit a little cheesy but entertaining.. Location... top marks and the views are breath taking and 20 minute walk to Los gigantes is a must.
The hotel is now 27 years old and was refurbed 10 years ago so is in need of some modernisation however this won't affect your stay and will be returning in Dec14 and I never stay at the same hotel twice so showed how much we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A F
Templecombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Lovely hotel with excellent swimming pools & no shortage of sunbeds in december.Food was very good but my favourite meal breakfast ,as the week went on the bacon was really burnt & the friedeggs under cooked.The staff were excellnt & if you want a quite holiday next to the pool I would highly recommend this hotel..

Room Tip: We took the standard room & was happy with this as we only paid £370.each.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 809mike
Galway, Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have stayed one weekend (13-15.12.2013),but befor i came to this hotel,i have checked a lot of reviews,I was quiet surprise wit somne negatives.I try to be very objective with my comments and this time will be the same.Positive:Great hotel for all,families,singles,couples.Fantastic place for rest.A lot of sunbeds,great offer wit Balinese Sunbed,was very satysfy.Please dont care about some comments about food.Food was great,huge choice,perhaps those who commented about poor food ,normally visiting fast food restaurants.Breakfast and dinner,plenty plenty delicious food.One negatives about coffee.Why is so disgusting?Its misunderstanding,with such great breakfast this coffee is bad mix.Much better coffee you can drink at every petrol station.Anyway,my score is 8/10 for restaurant.Poll area very clean,very happy with acces.For those who complaint about slippy pool area.ITS POOL AREA.Its natural is slippy.Just wear you flip flops.Thats it.But now something very negative:INSECTS!!! Absolutely not acceptable in your room.I have asked reception about any insects,speially cocroaches.They told me,that cocroaches are flying !!!??? and they can do nothing with them.Thats why you got them in your room.Before leavig hotel,i have asked the same lady at reception,WHY those cocroaches are NOT flying,when i try to kill them???She didnt know.I found very big one in my bag .My bag was on the floor.Cocroaches comming to every item on the floor.My advice!Dont leave anything on the floor.Shoes,bags,towels.....should be somewhere higher than floor.I am serious.Please,dont accept this stupid excuses,that cocroaches from Tenerife are flying.Try to find any info on Wikipedia.Any cocroaches has wings!But overall,my stay was great,I will recomend this hotel to my friends.I suppose,that all negatives might be covered by beautiful scenery and relaxing athmosphere in Barcelo Santiago

Room Tip: I have stayed in room 433.Fantastic view on La Gomera,great relaxing noise of waves.Part view on Los...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Adam S
Abersoch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

After reading lots of other mixed traveller reviews, the majority are not wrong. We booked a room with a sea view which, on check in was not available. Apparently the hotel was full. We were given a room which I guess was a better room as it had dressing gowns and a fridge (it didn't work) also the patio doors did not lock We were moved three days after we arrived to our room with a sea view as requested, but the balcony of the room we were allocated on the 4th floor did not get any sun, morning afternoon or evening, which was disappinting. When I arrived I wanted to upgrade to a room higher up maybe on the 7th or 8th floor but was told the hotel was full. This seems to be a standard answer to any requests that guests may have regarding rooms. The new room was ok but no worse than the previous one. The hotel is very noisy wherever you may be, so just accept it. The food was perfectly adequate and my husband thoroughly enjoyed having 3 meals a day, but like previous reviewers it became boring after a week. The only other option was the pool bar which I tried once and decided not to bother again. There was another restaurant opposite the main dining room but this was closed (strange really if the hotel was full).
I would not rush back there again but all in all I thought it was fairly good value for money.

Room Tip: I would definitely have a room higher than 5th floor as we got the sun most of the day but we overlo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
scarborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from Tenerife and me and my boyfriend really enjoyed our stay.

We arrive with many other people so there was a bit of a wait however the receptionist was polite and greeted us a smile. Reading previous reviews I was expecting mountains of paperwork whilst checking in. However, in reality I had to fill quarter of a A4 sheet of paper which required my name, address and a couple of signitures. If people had difficulty with this then they should be checking into an asylum not a hotel.

Our room was smart, clean and tidy. The view was exceptional. All facilities including shower, mini bar and air con worked fine. The layout of the hotel orginally threw me off but as soon as i realised that the pool and buffet was on the top floor and most room were below, I managed to get aroind quite easily.

The buffet was amazing. The LOADS of food. Some reviews stated there wasnt much varity. I think they are out of their minds... they was different meat and fish every day. Fresh fruit and veg. The bread was amazing and so many different kinds. Breakfast was so good aswell. Cereals, criossants, yogurts. Bacon and eggs done infront of you.

The swimming pool so clean and plenty of sunbeds. We did not go to evening enterainment or spa but was told by other visitors it was good.

The surrounding area was beautiful. Epic views and lovely restaurants and bars. However it is really hilly and steep.

Overall my boyfriend and i thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,090 reviews
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Royal Sun Resort
Royal Sun Resort
#1 of 3 in Los Gigantes
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews

Been to Barcelo Santiago? Share your experiences!