“Beautiful location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had a week in Tenerife at the Barcelo Santiago in early March. I went with a friend so we had not paid the extra to have a sea view. Our room was on the 7th floor with a really nice view of the cliffs of Los Gigantes. We were also above Route 66 which had rather loud music every night until about midnight. The bands were all really good so was very pleasant listening from our rooms! We did B&B and the breakfast had a good selection and was replenished often. The pool and terrace area is really beautiful - looking out onto La Gomera. It is really in a stunning location.The spa is also very good. Like some of the other reviewers I had a stomach upset while I was in Tenerife but there is no way I or anyone else can prove that I picked it up in the hotel.I have read many reviews for other Tenerife hotels and many others had said they picked up bugs in other places. What I would advise the hotel to do is to let customers know when they have had a few cases of sickness and diarrhea so that everyone can take extra precautions. I work in a hospital so know these things cannot be avoided but people can be more prepared and cautious. I would go back and give this hotel another go. I would also recommend spending a little more and having a sea view - some of the rooms have the most magnificent calming views.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
dorset
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just back from 1st visit to this hotel - 18 years since we were in Tenerife - and very pleased with our choice, despite the poor reports form other contributors.

Location: is unbeatable with magnificent views and spectacular waves crashing on the rocks, tho' don't be fooled by the walkway in front of the hotel. It runs round the hotel only and quite a number of steps if you want to go further. Not a problem if you are reasonably fit but good to be aware that you are either climbing up or going down in this resort with littel flat ground. No beach to speak of - the weather was so windy that the little cove in front of the hotel that I had earmarked for possible snorkelling was always full of white water. Pod of dolphins swam past one morning when it was calmer.

Room - no 414 - was fine with everything working and on the Los Gigantes side so a quiet area. Would not like to be much lower than 3rd floor. Balcony sunny in afternoon so needed air conditioning at night, even in March. Had to pay 3 euros a day for the safe which I felt was penny pinching in a 4* hotel. Always well cleaned - and I actually did get down on my hands and knees to look under the bed when I dropped something! No smells either despite stormy weather.

Pool area: attractive and very clean but think it would become crowded in high season, especially if lots of children around who can't swim in the sea. No problems getting a sun bed and decent sized pool towels [for which you paya refundable deposit of 12 euros] Entertainmnet based here too and seemed popular with a variety of activities, but canned music could be irritating at times. Evening entertainment was reasonable and again varied to suit most tastes.

Food: selection was excellent at breakfast , the best meal of the day as far as we were concerned. Dinner provided great choice of salads and reasonable desserts but main courses were a bit repetative so we tended to stick to the "show" cooking as this was always fresh and hot which, sadly, the other dishes were not. The later we went in, the colder they were. A shame because everything was well presented and quality reasonable. They really need to sort this out. While we were there, large numbers of guests were reporting tummy bugs and I too, to my great indignation, went down with this. Having been to Egypt for the last 5 years [where I ate salad and ice cream freely] and stayed healthy, I did not expect to spend such a very uncomfortable 18 hours, completely flattened in bed, in Tenerife. Ironically, my husband who is usually affected wherever we go, was fine.

Staff: always pleasant and helpful and not looking for tips all the time as suggested by others. We were on half board but only tipped at the end of the week and still had good service.

A excellent hotel for a winter break as, despite the wind, we were able to sunbathe every day and eat outside every night with a light jumper. Flight home to Bournemouth was only 3 hours and 25 minutes thanks to a tailwind so ideal when you have only 1 week and don't want to spend too much time travelling. We will certainly go back to the Barcelo, altho' Tenerife does not provide the luxury which Egypt does for less money.

West Yorkshire
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have just returned from the Barcelo Santiago, I am pleased to say we had a lovely week. We have been to this hotel 4 times and have always found it to be good. Yes the rooms below floor 4 are not as good as those above and could do with a revamp when money allows. The rooms on floor 5 to 9 are good with tv, fridge, hair dryer etc. The food is quite good and what you might expect of all inclusive. The views from this hotel have to be one of the best. We have always found all staff from maid, reception, and bar staff to be friendly, if you engage with them they will do the same. As a well traveled couple we put this hotel as an acceptable place for the money paid. I find it unfair that people say some not very nice or even accurate things as we have not had that trouble.

Room Tip: Email your request of room direct with the hotel
1 Thank westbbc
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Santiago for a week from 10th March 2013, when we arrived at the hotel we were put into a room on the ground floor which smelt strongly of damp and drains,(possily due to a storm the week before but still unaccepatble) I think the hotel must have been aware as they had placed a reed-diffuser in the room, but with the smell being so strong this was never going to help, we complained to reception and got told we could probably move rooms in the morning. Luckily we got moved into a room later on that evening. The room was very basic and our shower head would only spray water into the shower screen which was very frustrating. Another issue was also the smell of drains that would waft through the room regularly - disgusting. We were half board and so ate for the first day breakfast and dinner in the restaurant, the food was not good, hot food wasn't hot cold food wasn't cold and the quality was poor. Unfortunately after the first day we had been told by another guest there's a sicknes bug going round and to use the hand sanitisers all the time! The next day I became ill with the norovirus and then my husband the day after. After speaking to other guests it turned out most had been ill at some point (and some guests more than once). Whilst I can appreciate these things happen I feel a lot more could have been done to prevent illness. We also then found out that the Doctor who was meant to be on site for certain times during the day was never their. Good points: The pool area was nice with beautiful views, although the usual difficulties in getting sunbeds unless you are there early, the few restaurants near by were ok, with the exception of La Pergola which we loved.

2 Thank Lydia_Farrow1982
leicester
Reviewed March 25, 2013

have just read the review from rodney2, are you sure you were in barcelo santiago? we have visited this hotel 4 times now and we have found it exactly the opposite to you, did you get down on your hands and knees to look under the bed? we have been travelling for over 25 years now and have found this to be one of the better hotels, the staff were great they just could'nt do enough for us, we found the food good, not excellent, but good, you will have to go a long way to find excellent food, we could'nt fault any of the staff from cleaners to waiters to check in staff, they were brilliant. as for being ignored this is just not true, if you dont visit again rodney2 i dont think you will be missed

Room Tip: try to get a seaview room, rooms at the front tend to be a little noisy
2 Thank herboleicester
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here in early March on All Inclusive basis. Meals very repetative and bar staff treated us as second class as soon as they saw the wrist band.
A number of guests (including myself) had upset stomachs and when reporting to reception they said we must have brought it with us!!!
Toilets in reception area faulty but nothing done having reported it twice.
Our bedroom on ground floor had patio doors that did not lock. Phone not working - socket hanging out of wall. Hairdryer did not work.
Thank goodness the company of fellow guests was good and the sun was shining.

Room Tip: Do not bok ground floor unless you like the smell of drains and the noise of passers by
England
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Having just returned from The Barcelo Santiago, I am wondering if I visited the same hotel as some of the previous reviewers.
We stayed All Inclusive which immediately meant we were ignored by the staff in the bar it seemed because of the wristband - furthermore the number of things not included was far greater than anywhere else we have previously stayed.
As a former hotelier myself, I tend to notice little things such as the bellow-par level of cleanliness, particularly in the room, things under units that I could see had not been cleaned for ages - that should have been, also poorly cleaned surfaces and panels throughout the hotel, I also noted the hotel is very tired & could really do with some work done on it - damp patches etc.
The main gripe is the really very poor food quality, so much food that had clearly been frozen, poor quality 'Chicken Nugget' type of things lots of bread-crumbed things etc. To be fair, the salad bar was okay but you do need more than salad!
In short, I will steer clear of Barcelo hotels in the future if this is the best they can do, this is one of the poorest hotel experience I have ever had.

Room Tip: Request a room above level 2, below that you will have people walking past your window
5 Thank Rodney2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#2 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Globales Tamaimo Tropical
#8 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,199 reviews
Be Live Experience Playa La Arena
Be Live Experience Playa La Aren...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,291 reviews

Been to Barcelo Santiago? Share your experiences!