This is our ninth time here. The food is good, I have had similar at good 3 star hotels though and better at other 4 star hotels...But always something for everyones taste - salads, fish, meat, verggies etc. Lots of gateau and ice cream. We have stayed as a mature couple and also with our daughter and young grandaughter - who loved it. The kids club is international, but on the occasion I complained that my little one couldn't undertand the leader this was soon remedied. We now go in Jan when mostly mature couples are there - very few kids, lots staying for long periods as we have done in the past.
-The rooms are very average, Standard rooms are adequate, but the corridors put me in mind of Butlins. Superior rooms are better, but you do have pay a lot more for them. Pillows are hard. I have had similar and even better rooms at 3 star hotels, where I have paid a lot less.
- The evening entertainment is appalling and has got increasing worse each year we have been here. Mostly animation team, quizzes etc. Over 2 weeks we saw a few outside acts, but non were exceptional apart from the mongolian acrobats. Old Dogs were good, but all entertainment finishes about 10.30pm then if you're lucky the guitarist may be playing in the reception bar for a while extra. Fine if you want to sit and play cards or chat to your other half... I can do that at home! If you are going All Inc and like evening entertainment then allow extra money for going out and taxi fares or car hire. There are a couple of noisy bars over the road, but we went to Hotel Playa Arena, Thomson Los Gigantes and The Harbour Club who all provide much better entertainment. Taxi cost us about 4 euro each way inc tip.
- All Inc does not incude everything - only a few of the meals in the pool bar are free and lots of drinks are extra. Starts after breakfast and finishes at 11pm and waiters are not so quick to serve you drinks as they are if you are half board and paying for drinks. However, we didn't need to have food there as we had plenty at our meals in the restaurant, but if you do want to eat in Pool bar instead of restaurant be aware of this fact.
- Staff are amongst the most friendly we have met anywhere and nothing is too much trouble
- Views are spectacular - but sea view rooms are a must
- Very relaxing, informal and friendly environment
- Daytime entertainment is excellent and the animation team work hard and are friendly and accommodating - led by 'Jose who llistens to what the clients like and is very proactive in trying to accommodate everyone's requests. We love the shuffleboard and sjoelback.
Why do we go back? - the simple reason is we have met and made so many fantastic friends from all over Europe - many of whom we keep in contact with by email. Most of us go back every year and some have been going for 20 years or more... For us it's like catching up and having fun with old friends - including the staff. However, after the appalling evening entertainment and the fact we can get a cheaper deal at better hotels is making us wonder, will we return next year? - we still have to decide. It would be sad not to meet up with old friends. I do hope the management will return the entertainment programme to the higher quality it was 6-7 years ago.
- Now to the gastro bug, whenever it's been at this hotel it's been all over the Island and mostly brought over by holdiday makers from UK and elsewhere! I don't feel it is the hotel's fault - they have disinfectant hand gel everywhere.
I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Barcelo, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Barcelo Santiago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Santiago Hotel Puerto De Santiago
- Barcelo Hotel Santiago
- Barcelo Puerto De Santiago
- Barcelo Santiago Tenerife/Puerto De Santiago