6,854 results
All reviewspool barhalf boardsuperior roomsea viewla gomeraair confantastic viewslos gigantes cliffsold dogs new tricksplenty of sunbedsreception staffanimation teamrelaxing holidaythomson repplenty of choiceevening entertainmentlunch and dinner
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My Husband & I stayed here in September 2011. We had a lovely time and we were very luck with the weather. There seemed to be lots of sunbeds available to us, although we did see another English couple that were unhappy about being turfed off of their sunbeds. We sat on the raised deck (to the left when you come out of the hotel) every day and this was near the self-service AI bar. A German family (who were not AI) spent their entire holiday helping themselves to the AI bar!

Drinks are good, St Miguel on tap all week, but be warned ... all bars shut at 11pm and anything you drink after that has to be paid for.

Food is ok, not very hot most of the time but quite a bit of variety throughout. A lack of Spanish dishes though!!

Room was seriously hot all week, Air con was non exisitent!

Cannot fault the staff though, would help with anything and were very pleasant.

Entertainment staff were all very nice too, but the entertainment itself was pretty awful!

We went for a last minute, quiet week of sunbathing, eating & drinking and thats what we got! If you're looking for things to do outside of the hotel, then this hotel is not for you. If, like us, you don't want to do anything for a week, then book it now!

Room Tip: The view of Los Gigantes is wonderful, so try to get a high room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LuLuFuller
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was our second visit to the Barcelo Santiago having stayed for 2 weeks in July a couple of years ago.
This visit was for one week in late Oct early Sept 2011.
We travelled with Jet2 Holidays from Leeds Bradford Airport on an all inclusive basis.
First of all I would not reccomend Jet2 as they offer a very basic service...to say the least. No in resort reps and a confused approach at both departure and arrival airports mean that the holiday did not get off to a good start. Despite checking in on line the bag drop doesnt open until the main desk opens and you have to queue with everyone else...why bother checking in on line ??
However back to the hotel ...I had mailed them a few months before departure requesting an upgrade to a Junior Suite Deluxe at an extra cost of 14 euro pppn. I expected to have to explain all this when I arrived, but I didn't, the wonderful ,cheerful reception staff were all prepared and had the room keys, all inclusive bracelets and a lovely glass of cava ready and waiting for me. The dining room was closed as we arrived late, but the hotel had arranged a cold platter of meats, cheeses, salad and breads for us which was delicious and very welcome.
This was probably the easiest check in process I have ever experienced.
The room itself was more than worth the extra cost, two large rooms with a huge corner balcony looking at the sea on one side and the cliffs of Los Gigantes on the other (see photos)
Two huge beds with memory foam matresses and fantastic snow white cotton sheets and pillows, an espresso coffe machine, i-pod dock radio/music system, two large flat screen TVs and my favorite thing...remote controlled canopies on the balcony !
There was also a table and chairs and two sunbeds on the large balcony. The wc and walk in shower were in an opaque glass walled bathroom off the lounge area.
I will NEVER be able to go back to a standard room again !
The staff in both the restaurants and bars are exceptional and I can only assume that the reviewers who complain about them must only be getting back what they give out i.e attitude.
I found them to be both cheerful, efficient and increadibly hard working, so a very big thank you to you all...without exception! I did note that the hotel seem to employ, shall I say without being rude, some slightly older gentlemen in the restaurant. This is clearly paying off as they were, again, exceptional at their job. The food was good with a wide variety, fresh and well prepared. The specialist puddings were too good and resulted in several pounds of weight gain.
The entertainment was enthusiastic but I wont comment on the content as we all like different things but I will say there was something for everyone.
Several people have commented on the sun bed problem but as we had our own on our balcony we did not have any issues with this. I did note though that the Los Gigantes facing sun terrace had 21 sunbeds reserved one morning from before dawn (I looked out after an early morning trip to the bathroom) these were still reserved and unused at 12 lunchtime.
The sefishness of some people is beyond belief.
Overall this trip was a lovely weeks break in the (very hot) sun made all the better by a superb hotel which I will definately be visiting again, hopefully with my sons and daughter in law.

Thank you to all staff and management at the santiago.

Room Tip: The small extra cost to upgrade to a suite is more than worth it. Ask for Gigantes facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dave-in-Leeds
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My partner and I stayed in the hotel may 2011. (sorry it has taken so long to write the review)
It was only the second time I have been AI, but it was fantastic. The pool was clean, the staff all really friendily. The food at lunch times was a bit heat up for next meal (we saw chicken nuggets for breakfast, lunch and dinner on 2 consecutive days) but there was a wide range of hot and cold foods, and could not really fault it. One of the only bad points was if you had a cocktail, whether AI or not, and it contained coconut or something else milky, it was always curdled because they were already made and not fresh. Other then that, the room was really clean, as was the rest of the hotel.
The resort is nice and quiet, with a small black beach 200m(ish) away where the fisherman keep their boats, which was nice. There are a few bars, and supermarkets around too. The sports bar directly across is particularly great, they are really friendily and cheap! (the world cup was not showing in the hotel)

If you are thinking about doing one of the trips, the market was not a bad one, but you can get there a lot cheaper on the bus (works like a london oyster card) to Los Cristianos. You will only enjoy it if you want to take back souveniers, or can walk and like wandering around other resorts. Just be aware of pick pockets, and beggars as there are quite a few. We did the organised trip through out tour company, and had lots of time to spare as the market is not very big! But we walked along the promenade, something you cannot do for long in Puerto Santiago!

All in all, a fantastic holiday, and we would definately go back again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

hi we had 2 weeks in september and will be going back ,drinks and food spot on entertainments volleyball and games for everyone and its free , nightime they put on a show everynight which made our holiday we won a bottle of champers and a free spar day,dont knock these people they all work very hard.loads a sunbeds there is sum nuggets that get up at 4am to put towels on ,i got my own back splashing them later on in the day.COURTYARD over the road best bar by far ,book your trips with GECKO EXCURSIONS just turn left out of hotel and up the road .This was not our first time at the barcelo we love the people and the place so go enjoy ya self and have a beer for me thankyou Dave and sue from morecambe !

Room Tip: get a room 4th floor views to die for !
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DAVEANDSUEMORECAMBE
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Just returned from a week's stay at this hotel. Had a fab relaxing time. The views from the room were wonderful. Cant understand what some of the other reviews mean about the sunbeds. We had no problem getting two together even at 11 in the morning. The rooms were fine, maybe not luxurious, but adequate. The hotel food was wonderful, plenty of choice and a good variety. I agree that some of the staff could smile a bit more, but most were fine and helpful. The pool area had lovely views and was just as it looks on the photo's. Had no problems with the cockroaches, only saw one all holiday. The all inclusive was great, San Miguel was the beer, even available in bottles. On a less positive note, the entertainment in the hotel is dreadful, really awful!. But dont worry, We found a good bar over the road called the courtyard. They had some good tribute acts on and a bit of Karaoki.
The beach at Santiago is poor, but there is a nice beach at Playa de la Arenas which is about a 20 min walk away. Also there is a good bus service to Las Americas which costs about 7 Euros return and takes about 40 mins. So to summarise, If you are looking for a fun packed lively holiday, then maybe this hotel is not for you. However, If you are looking for a relaxing holiday with good food, views to die for at a superb hotel then you will find no better.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple