“Pleasantly surprised!”

Globales Tamaimo Tropical
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was a little apprehensive at first due to the differences of opinions, but quite honestly, I really was pleasantly surprised! Travelled on 30th August for an all inclusive week with my mum (I'm 20 and she's 51).
It's true, you pay for what you get. We had a ground floor apartment. We had initially had booked a self-catering apartment, but were given a room with only a fridge. Our room was in the middle of the main road and Bar Coco's. The road did get very noisy, but not at all the hotel's fault. Other people were very noisy walking in the corridors and fireworks going off in the middle of the night for fiestas didn't help but again, not the hotel's fault. Food is standard, although some was the same, quite a lot of variety. Didn't help me as I'm a fussy eater but the outdoor barbeque did come in handy!

We had a balcony facing bar Coco's and this was very enjoyable when there was a singer singing on some of the nights.

All in all, a very positive experience and would not hesitate to return next year!

Room Tip: I would suggest that you have a room with air-con has we had to rent a fan for 20 euros and 10 euro...
1 Thank Claire D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Good Hotel
Good points & bad points about the place

Good Points
Loving looking hotel, location is not bad at all. 10 minute walk to a lovely black beach, a harbour, and plenty of nice pubs, café's to eat & drink. The Hotel was welcoming at the front desk, pools are good with plenty space to swim in.

Bad points.
First room after a couple of days found lots of insects (like ants) nesting in the bathroom and scattered in the bedroom. We requested this being sorted out & a poor job was done by the cleaners. Staff would not move us for 24 hours, we did however get ourself s into another room which we found a water leak. We reported the problem and maintenance resolved the issue within 30 minutes.

There is currently lots of building work being done on the hotel, in other words is very noisy with drills/Hammers etc. I would NOT recommend visiting until 2014 after the work is complete. The works started at 8am and didn't finish until 5pm everyday.... was not very pleasant.

Food: Not a major choice of what you can eat, the the food which was to offer was fantastic. Fish, meat, Veg, Potato's, pasta & few other choices each day.

What to do!
If you go, I'd very much recommend a tour which me and my partner did only last week!
Teide by night, it's amazing, a near all day tour up near the Volcano where you see the sunset above the clouds, drink, 3 course dinner, champagne & star glazing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank martedwards
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked this holiday with a bit of trepidation as I had read the good and bad reviews, PLEASE IGNORE THE BAD REVIEWS. We arrived on 5th Sept having booked three self catering apartments, when we got there we were told that they only had two rooms, but the rooms they gave us were lovely with view of the main pool and because of the inconvenience we were given all inclusive until the Monday when we could swap. I had read bad reviews about the food but couldn't see what everyone was complaining about, the food was lovely and the night they had the roast beef being carved right in front of you was beautiful, obviously you could have as much to drink as you wanted too. A few people moaned you could only get two drinks at a time but again this wasn't a problem as it kept the queue down quite a bit. When we came to move on Monday they offered us three ground floor apartments and because I wanted them on the other side of the hotel with air con and on a higher floor was told we couldn't move until Tuesday but again was told we could stay all inclusive, when we did move it was a lovely apartment overlooking the quieter pool and although we were now self catering was told that because of the inconvenience could stay all inclusive. The rooms were cleaned everyday and fresh towels, loo rools etc left, all swept through and beds made. The staff Round the hotel were lovely from the recreation staff, kitchen staff, and cleaners nothing was too much trouble. The hotel complex itself was spotlessly clean, I would recommend going here if you haven't before as for the money you pay it's good value.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor and if you ask for one around the quieter pool it's better, you do...
2 Thank Debbie U
Teignmouth
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We visted the hotel from the 5th until the 14th of september this year, From leaving the airport we where stuffed into a coach with poor airconditioning (well we think the heating was turned on even though the temprature was about 28c).The driver spoke poor english and this made things difficult at hotel stops.
On arrival to the hotel we were ushered in to the reception,as we arrived at 9pm the staff asked us to go to the resturant for dinner before it closed at 930pm.
Well the food was awfull this must have been under the heat lamps since 6pm,not a great deal of choice very dry and bland.
Moving on to the rooms, I was placed in a two bed apartment they told me this was an upgrade as there was no one bed apartments left.
The apartment was Clean this had a kitchen,living area and bathroom, dont expect any water in your fridge because as i discovered this wasn't supplied ALL INCLUSIVE?.
This apartment was located next to reception and the belcony backed on to the foyer at the front. This also had no air con, we were told if you have a belcony you don't get air con!.
I had to be moved from this apartment as the noise was so unbearable! woken up by drunk people entering the hotel and going though reception also people fighting in the corridor.
There are no signs in the corridor asking customers to be quiet in the evenings which is poor and only one security guard patrols the whole hotel,so its not worth even going to sleep until about 3am.
Thoughout the rest of the stay the food wasn't much better some meals were better than others but no consistancy at all.
On a good note the BBQ was surprizingly good with freshly cooked chicken and kebabs.
Drinks,not a great choice cheap white and red wine,cheap sangria,and lager all served in small plastic cups with too much ice!.
cocktails consisted of pina colada,love on the beach there was others advertised but they wouldnt do them.
The staff were friendly and helpfull,some of the resturant staff could do with putting a smile on their faces.
All in all i wouldnt go back to this hotel as im more knackerd now then before i went. very disapointing.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room with aircon. Make sure the room is located away from the road and recep...
1 Thank Trucker1982

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de Santiago hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom

Good points

Food Ok and plentiful, but became a bit samey after a fortnight
Rooms reasonable, and cleaners great
Hotel in good position, and in a nice area
Local restaurants all pretty good
Staff excellent in the main
pools safe and clean
Lizards ... gave my daughter hours of fun as they were tame enough to feed by hand

Bad Points

A bit chavvy ( don't people know how to put rubbish in bins)
The need to fight for a sunbed at 8am every morning
1/3 pint plastic cups for all drinks during the day
£30 a week for safe
noisy at night round the main pool
persistent smell of eggs in the restaurant area
entertainment not great, and non existent for anyone older than 10
lots of steps in hotel, and local area extremely hilly so not suited to less mobile people

Summary

I feel that this hotel suffers from the same as most lower end European all inclusives do, in that people will pay up front, and then refuse to leave the hotel. I promise there were people who never left the hotel in a fortnight, and they were missing a treat as the local bars, restaurants and trips were great.

By 3pm the place resembled a rubbish dump given that the place was strewn with plastic cups and half eaten burgers... this really annoyed me and I had heated words with a few people who were blatant over their untidiness (it's OK some Spaniard will clean it up was the usual response!! ) in fairness the spanish holiday makers were just as bad.

I would not return to this hotel, or go against my usual inclination to go self catering or room only ... for the uplift in price for all inclusive, you could have eaten out every day, which has to be preferable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Great value for money clean , tidy , great staff , good entertainment . Don't read all the bad write ups cos the holiday is what you make it . The people who moan about cleanliness are the ones that keep getting food / drinks and leave rubbish around the pool even tho there are plenty on bins ( all English people who did the moaning ) food great 1 day we couldn't eat lunch and I think that was down to being too hot !
We hired a car from Santiago cars ( fantastic) went all round the island and up the volcano in the cable car , so spent 1 week traveling and 1 week by the pool . As I say it's not always down to the hotel your holiday it what you make it , can't wait to go back next year .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kay S
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have never written a review on trip advisor before as I have never felt the need, however I arrived home this morning from a 1 week stay at Tamaimo tropical and for the first time ever I was not sad to be coming home from my holiday!
The good - friendly and polite staff
Thomson Holiday rep Dan very helpful
2 nice swimming pools
Nice weather
Nice Italian restaurant ( although you have to book almost as soon as you get there as its busy)

The bad - food was TERRIBLE - my husband and I are not fussy eaters however there was very little choice and a typical example of what was on offer was - veal stew (full of bones) lambs liver, lamb stew (also full of bones) and dog fish!! I found all of the meat to be of poor quality hence why it was full of bones and very fatty. In the end my husband and I ended up going out for food and found a lovely Indian restaurant called 'Bobbies' only a 10 minute walk also Nino's was lovely and only 2 minutes round the corner.

Sunbed situation - unless you are up at about 8 o'clock you will struggle to get a sunbed - it's crazy!! My husband went down to the quiet pool at 8am one morning to find queues of people waiting on sunbeds being unchained ( I did not expect this in mid September)

Room - room was spacious and clean on arrival although basic (which I expected) but as days went on it was clear that the maid was not sweeping or washing the floors or cleaning the bathroom - they were disgusting!!

Departure day - we were told at the welcome meeting that you cannot book your room for later than 12 midday of the day of departure until that day at 9am on the day you are leaving (fair enough) the night before we left we asked at reception what our chances were of keeping our room - they still had 10 rooms available so said it should be ok, but to confirm in the morning. In the morning we went down and asked again to be told 'NO' and that we would need to be out by 12 ( we were hounded out of the room at 11.30am by staff) our flight home was not until 23.55 pm so we had to hang around pretty much all day ( it was a wasted day)

All in all our holiday was disappointing, but we just made the most of it by going out to nice local bars and restaurants. I would not return.

Room Tip: If you can email hotel in advance for a room with air conditioning as this does not come as standard...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#2 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Alborada Beach Club
Alborada Beach Club
#2 of 2 in Las Galletas
El Marques Palace by Intercorp Hotel Group
El Marques Palace by Intercorp H...
#7 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago

Been to Globales Tamaimo Tropical? Share your experiences!