“Lovely holiday but have stayed at better hotels in canaries.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Playa La Arena

Be Live Experience Playa La Arena
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday but have stayed at better hotels in canaries.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked this hotel at a fair price considering it was October half term and therefore didn't expect the Ritz! First impressions were good, it had a pleasant impressive reception area and the room was spacious (family of 4) and clean. However, on our first day little niggles, that lasted the duration of the holiday, started. Firstly, we went to breakfast and played hunt the table, then hunt the bowls, hunt the spoons, hunt the plates!! The hotel didn't appear to be able to cope with the amount of guests or have any systems in place. Having had breakfast we excitedly headed to reception to get our towels and head for the pool area. We paid our 12euro for each towel headed to lifeguard station to collect. We then toured the pool several times searching for sunbeds...no joy. We were not alone. We set up camp on the restaurant terrace using the chairs! Not exactly the first relaxing day we had planned! We soon discovered that you had to get up early each morning to secure your beds, I'm embarrassed to say (as I have never done this before) that I would get up early to secure our beds. I felt sorry for each new guest who lost a day of their holiday learning the hard way! The poolside bar and restaurant was great, good food and choice, lovely drinks with very generous measures!! We didn't bother with the entertainment day or night so really couldn't comment. The food in the evenings was mixed sometimes a good choice other times you had a strange combination on your plate. On the whole we had lovely relaxing holiday as we adapted to early morning get ups and made a game of hunt the cutlery! Not sure if I would return as we have stayed at better 4 star hotels in Tenerife that can accommodate for the number of guests it has staying.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Juels21
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for let us know your vision about our hotel, the opinion of our guest is always the best way to improve our services and facilities.

That you have not enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that we couldn´t meet your expectations is very unfortunate. We always try to pamper our guests with the best service to make their stay as comfortable as possible and we are very sorry that we couldn´t make our goal with you.

We will take in consideration all of your comments and we will try our very best to surprise you positively if you decide to visit us again in the next future.

Yours faithfully,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Read a lot of reviews here, and agree largely with what has been said.

Ok lets start with the hotel. Our transfer was around 40 mins coming in from Tenerife South, think we were lucky, coming back it was nearly 2 hours, so please be aware. The hotel on first arrival is very impressive, I really liked the open area and atrium in reception, gave a modern feel. Front office staff... hmm, mixed, some helpful, some borderline bored.. sorry customer is always right.

Room perfectly adequate, bath and a walk in shower. No complaints about the room. Flat screen TV with numerous British channels, (not just BBC world service), wife did not miss Strictly!! .We were at the side of the hotel with views towards the sea and mountains. Found one cockroach one night, ushered it out onto the landing, we never saw anymore..

Food,.. I've read some reviews that we were negative,.. its cafeteria food, so some of the food will have been out for a while. I have eaten military food, so I guess anything better is a bonus, I actually liked the food, it was varied and catered for all tastes. Both my wife and I liked the themed nights. Ramon's omelettes in the morning were great, grachias Ramon....

Pool,...hmm not bad, but not enough sun beds, even we had to break the habit of a life time and put out two towels for us one morning. Having said that I wouldn't necessarily blame the hotel, I noted some of my fellow country men placing blow up lilos on seats, telling their kids not to forget to place them back in place. There were an awful lot of un- occupied sun beds. Come on people, a little common sense please... lilos on the pool side, people on the sun beds!!! It was half term in the UK so alot of families...

Pool bar and lunchtime food, excellent, no complaints. All the food very fresh.

Drinks, all a bit watered down I felt. I would of liked the option to choose the wine, the house wines were... well not very good. I would happily pay a little more at the end of a holiday for a decent beer or glass of wine, as we have done in other parts of the Canaries.

Piano bar was where we spent most evenings, not bad. Entertainment.. a bit of a let down, most started at 10pm. We are on holiday ..., by 10 pm we were wilting,( all this relaxing is tiring ).

We hired a car one day and went to Teide. A word to the wise,.. if you dont like heights, then the road up from the hotel will leave you chilled, glad I was driving and concentrating on the road, my poor wife was gripping the seat. Teide itself, lovely scenery. We didnt go up in the cable car,... out own fault, we didnt do the research and werent properly dressed. It was - 7 degrees C at the top, so we didnt go up to the top. 25 Euros per person for those that are prepared for the cold. We drove to Puerto De la Cruz. Had a lovely afternoon there. Surf looked amazing. Local street sellers were a pain. Journey back almost as scary as the one going there, ... I was very tired.

There is a Gym, 5 euros for a day time use, 25 for the week. Its well equipped and the locals also use it There seems to be a British guy running it, he was helpful but didnt look especially happy,... come on fella, working in a gym in the Canaries, ... I'd swap with you! Cheer up. We both had a massage which was excellent, and great value. Annika from Germany was our masseuse, she pushed some knots out of my shoulders I didn't know I had. Awesome, felt so much better for it, thanks Annika!

Beach is 5 minute walk, black sand a first for us, but no complaints. Lifeguards were very thorough,.. so wouldn't complain about that, as they are doing a job. I notice a few people complained about this.

We were both very happy,...however we have been to other hotels in the Canaries, and to be honest there are better ones. Would we go back... probably not, but only for the fact that we have enjoyed better quality else where.

Overall I would say for a week its not bad, but its a bit like my old school reports.. could do better

3 Thank Signaller21
Dear Guest,

We will take in consideration all of your comments and we will try our very best to surprise you positively if you consider to honor us with a new visit.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Been back a couple of weeks now and still missing it. Impresssive entrance, takes your breath away, maybe does need a little bit of tlc but still a very nice hotel. Never came across a rude member of staff the whole time we were there, infact Marie in the kids camp and staff at reception very nice. We stayed in a family room and it was more than big enough, view over pool lovely. Food did get a bit samey and we ate out last couple of nights but it was ok, nothing wrong with it. Overall we had a lovely holiday and would recomend it especially to families.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aileen W
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort that you gave yourself to share the experience of your recent holiday with us and Tripadvisor readers.

Feedback of our guests is a very important aspect to us to be able to keep improving our services and to ensure our guests will experience a unique stay in our hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at our Be Live Playa la Arena

Skegness
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

For reasons best only known to trip advisor, my original review was not published, so I'll try again.
Since my return from this hotel in the summer, I've read with interest the reviews regarding this hotel. It's actually made me wonder if I was actually in a different place.
I suppose that I'm hoping that the management take on board some of the issues, because this could be a better hotel, given the right attention to detail.
On the whole, it's pretty average, except for the food and dining experience which to be frank, is dire. Everything from inedible slop, to cheap, undrinkable wine, arrogant staff, not enough salt and pepper pots to go round, nasty machine coffee and juice, chipped, dirty crockery and poor service.
Men - make sure you pack full length trousers because you will be turned away from the dining hall if you don't wear them. Why they have this ridiculous rule is beyond me. I'm more likely to be put off my dinner by a woman showing buttocks and breasts than a man in cut off trousers, but the rule doesn't apply to women. Very strange.
The hotel itself is impressive, although I think they could do with more staff and re-training the existing staff in 'hospitality'. At check in it felt like a cattle market. Yes I understand that they have to meet high demands, but a smile costs nothing, and if they don't want to smile at the people who are ultimately paying their wages, then they are in the wrong job. We are on holiday. Most of us save all year for our two weeks in the sun, and we want to enjoy it, not made to feel we are just another herd coming to graze for a week or two.
Of course, a hotel of this size takes a lot of caring for, and it's not always possible to meet the high demands of some people, however, when guests need clean towels and linnen, it should be provided. Sockets should not be coming away from walls, and rooms should be bug free. Our room was clean and we didn't experience any problems with towels or bedding. I only encountered two cockroaches - one outside one night, and one under the stairs near the dining hall. They can't be totally eradicated, it's just a minor displeasure that can't always be avoided. I thought the maids worked extremely hard considering the size of the hotel.
The pool areas are pleasant and the 'adult' pool is a lovely temperature. However, considering how many guests are staying, there aren't enough sun beds and parasols to go round. I found it annoying that the 'no reserving' rule was constantly broken but nothing was ever done about it.
The day time animation team were all French and the 'white' party was only for French guests. Why wasn't there a party for the rest of us? I also found the 'fashion show' round the pool annoying. If I wanted to buy clothes I wouldn't be doing my shopping whilst trying to relax by the pool on my vacation.
The evening entertainment was predictable, although I enjoyed the acrobats(what I managed to see of them while people were in and out of their seats, to-and-fro-ing the bar. The height of bad manners in my opinion. Unfortunately, the acts are only performing for one hour, and then it's the resident in house entertainer, who is not the best I've heard. Everything comes to an abrupt close at exactly midnight, and all the lights go out. It's crazy!
There is next to nothing off the complex. There are a handful of bars, a restaurant or two and a couple of souvenir shops and thats it. If you walk down past the shops and up the hill at the other side, there's a local 'Mercadona' where you can buy really good inexpensive toiletries, suntan lotion, Aloe Vera etc. It's worth a walk to have a look. Apart from that there's nothing in the area. The local service buses are a good cheap way of exploring the island. It only cost me 12 euros return to go over to Puerto Cruz (where Loro Park is) for a look round. The only thing is, if you're afraid of heights I wouldn't reccommend it because you go up and over the mountains. The scenery is amazing if you can stomach it! It takes about 2 and a half hours each way though, so be prepared for a numb posterior!
I personally wouldn't go back to Tenerife. I've been before and seen most of the island. None of it impresses me much. The best part is down on Golf del Sur, but the problem there is you get eaten alive by mosquitos and it's teaming with flies. This is due to the fact that the sprinklers are on every night to water the golf courses, and mozzies love the humidity.
I wouldn't reccommend this hotel unless you don't mind what slop you put in your mouth, and you just want to sit round a pool listening to the French having a ball. I would even go as far as to say don't go to Tenerife. It's a hilly, dirty, ugly lump of rock with only the climate to boast about. Try Lanzarote instead. It's beautiful and there's so much more to see and do. There are two Be Live hotels in Costa Teguise and I've stayed in the
Grand Teguise Playa. It's heavenly. Happy holidays.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank shannonsnan
Dear Guest,

We would have welcomed being informed on how you felt during your stay to have allowed us to find a timely solution in correcting any of these issues and in helping you in having a more enjoyable vacation experience.
It would have been a pleasure to remedy any shortcomings you might have encountered.

We are sorry that we were not allowed that opportunity.

We will take in consideration all of your comments and we will try our very best to surprise you positively if you consider to visit us again.

South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our first ever all inclusive and before I continue I must point out that Trip advisor for some reason only has a rating system that goes from average to very good. Therefore I was only able to rate this hotel as average whereas it was most definitely good - but not very good.
The hotel's biggest asset without question is its staff. Polite, friendly and accommodating at reception with some of the hardest working restaurant staff I've ever encountered. It is painfully obvious that management needs to employ more to ease the pressure at peak meal times. That said, once you attract the attention of a waiter passing at 80 mph whatever you ask for arrives without delay.
The hotels situation is excellent with the vast majority of its rooms having a sea view. All rooms have a balcony but, although clean they are tired and need a bit of updating. The two pools are very nice - to look at - but unless you have your children with you it is a horrendous place to sit (always assuming of course that you been up at 8 am to claim your lounger!) The loungers are placed very close together and when all the parasols are open air is at a premium. A big negative for us was the cost of "renting" towels (we found loungers in other areas away from the pools so did want towels and we also took them to the beach) which at 12€ each would take a sizeable chunk out of a family of fours holiday budget. Something you need to factor into your planning before you go. And its also a daft system to get your towel involving a trip to reception first and then tracking down a lifeguard to supply you.
Two other negatives for us were that you have to pay to use the safe in your room and the hotel also charges, by the day, for wi-fi. That again is plain greedy as most cafes and restaurants in the area provide wi-fi for free.
We found the food OK. There was variety, quantity and it was always hot. It's mass catering so you know what to expect.
Drinks - beer (lager) was excellent and, at the pool on tap to serve yourself along with a good selection of soft drinks. Wines - hmm! We could only drink the red wine in the restaurant as they seemed to have chilled it! White wine - no! Sangria was OK. Whiskey, brandy, vodka were all most acceptable. Top tip, if youre going to have a drink on the terrace (piano bar) when they ask if your going to drink inside or out say inside or they serve you your drinks in plastic cups. When you've got your tipple in your glass take it out onto the terrace to enjoy. Staff won't stop you.
Did we enjoy our stay here? Yes. Would we stay again. Probably not because there are too many other places to visit and time is so short.

2 Thank koasters
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion in Tripadvisor, we strongly believe that listening to our guests is the clue to success and keep improving our services to ensure our guests will experience a unique stay in our hotel.

We will take in consideration all of your comments and we will try our very best to surprise you positively if you decide to visit us again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

To use an old English phrase "All fur coat and no knickers". Very impressive reception/lounge/foyer. Then clean, adequate but dated rooms, no complaints, but a let down from the first impression.

Similarly, the buffets looked great, but very disappointing quality. Over-cooked, under-seasoned/bland, "school dinners", dressed up as "speciality cuisine". Breakfasts weren't bad, with a wide choice and reasonable quality, however, you often had to play "hunt the spoon, bowl or whatever they ran out of that day".

Evening meals and lunches were worse. We started to operate a "less they had done to it policy" I.e avoiding stews etc., which were usually tasteless and mushy. The food was highly repetitive, despite the speciality evenings e.g French, American etc, (My husband particularly hated his soggy beefburger. All food tasteless, under-seasoned and therefore bland.

The hotel was very clean, and had nice grounds and pool area. However, the usual hassle to get a sunbed, umbrella etc. staff polite and helpful.

All inclusive not as generous as at others we've stayed, e.g only glasses of wine served not bottles, cocktails cheap reconstituted versions, no ice creams by the pool.

Have had a good holiday,but wouldn't recommend this to others. Particularly those with children, as entertainment for them is all in French. However, nice setting, close to Los Gigantes and Porta Santiago.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view. Sea views only, look out on to road
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Elizabeth A
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion in Tripadvisor, we strongly believe that listening to our guests is the clue to success. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Note that our goal is to satisfy all our guests during their holiday, so we are sad not being able to help you however we will take in consideration all your comments so we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a future and surprise you positively by achieving your complete satisfaction

Kind regards

Arelio Marcos
Guildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed in the Be Live Playa La Arena from 8-15 October. This was our first time in Tenerife. Since we returned we cannot really get back to our normal lives, we just want to go back to Tenerife. The hotel is exactly what you expect from a 4 star hotel in a sub-tropical destination. The moment you enter the foyer you will feel like in the movies. All the green plants are from ceiling to almost the ground (must be 30 meters at least). The reception staff are great, very friendly. The location of the hotel is amazing. From the pool area, if you want to go to the beach, you can exit the hotel through a scenic walkway and you're on the beach in 5 minutes. From the beach you have clear view of the hotel. The location is uber-ideal, you will not find a better hotel with a better beach, and a better view, in Tenerife. This area of the island is the most beautiful. We travelled the whole island (rented a car from CICAR- best company ever) and we would choose this area and the Be Live Playa La Arena hotel again. I do not understand all these people who are moaning about languages and stuff. Stay home in England if you want English spoken. The international feel to the hotel is great. We are Hungarians and we enjoyed the many different nations (French, Russian, German, British) mingling in the hotel.

The hotel negative thing was that instead of the double bed we booked we got two single bed put together. The lady at the reception told us that there are only 6 rooms in the hotel that have proper double bed so everybody got the same. Maybe the hotel should buy some more double beds.

All in all, we would return to this hotel as it was the backdrop to a wonderful, relaxing holiday. Food was great, especially the cakes.

9 Thank Attila U
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Customer

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for your visit and for dedicating your time and effort to write this review.

It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed your stay among us and we are delighted that our service, facilities and attentive team of staff have contributed to your wonderful experience and that we have been able to satisfy your expectations.

We are very much looking forward to your next stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
#1 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,939 reviews

Been to Be Live Experience Playa La Arena? Share your experiences!