“Agree with Sven food poor” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Playa La Arena

Be Live Experience Playa La Arena
London, United Kingdom
“Agree with Sven food poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

To use an old English phrase "All fur coat and no knickers". Very impressive reception/lounge/foyer. Then clean, adequate but dated rooms, no complaints, but a let down from the first impression.

Similarly, the buffets looked great, but very disappointing quality. Over-cooked, under-seasoned/bland, "school dinners", dressed up as "speciality cuisine". Breakfasts weren't bad, with a wide choice and reasonable quality, however, you often had to play "hunt the spoon, bowl or whatever they ran out of that day".

Evening meals and lunches were worse. We started to operate a "less they had done to it policy" I.e avoiding stews etc., which were usually tasteless and mushy. The food was highly repetitive, despite the speciality evenings e.g French, American etc, (My husband particularly hated his soggy beefburger. All food tasteless, under-seasoned and therefore bland.

The hotel was very clean, and had nice grounds and pool area. However, the usual hassle to get a sunbed, umbrella etc. staff polite and helpful.

All inclusive not as generous as at others we've stayed, e.g only glasses of wine served not bottles, cocktails cheap reconstituted versions, no ice creams by the pool.

Have had a good holiday,but wouldn't recommend this to others. Particularly those with children, as entertainment for them is all in French. However, nice setting, close to Los Gigantes and Porta Santiago.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view. Sea views only, look out on to road
5 Thank Elizabeth A
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion in Tripadvisor, we strongly believe that listening to our guests is the clue to success. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Note that our goal is to satisfy all our guests during their holiday, so we are sad not being able to help you however we will take in consideration all your comments so we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a future and surprise you positively by achieving your complete satisfaction

Arelio Marcos
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Guildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed in the Be Live Playa La Arena from 8-15 October. This was our first time in Tenerife. Since we returned we cannot really get back to our normal lives, we just want to go back to Tenerife. The hotel is exactly what you expect from a 4 star hotel in a sub-tropical destination. The moment you enter the foyer you will feel like in the movies. All the green plants are from ceiling to almost the ground (must be 30 meters at least). The reception staff are great, very friendly. The location of the hotel is amazing. From the pool area, if you want to go to the beach, you can exit the hotel through a scenic walkway and you're on the beach in 5 minutes. From the beach you have clear view of the hotel. The location is uber-ideal, you will not find a better hotel with a better beach, and a better view, in Tenerife. This area of the island is the most beautiful. We travelled the whole island (rented a car from CICAR- best company ever) and we would choose this area and the Be Live Playa La Arena hotel again. I do not understand all these people who are moaning about languages and stuff. Stay home in England if you want English spoken. The international feel to the hotel is great. We are Hungarians and we enjoyed the many different nations (French, Russian, German, British) mingling in the hotel.

The hotel negative thing was that instead of the double bed we booked we got two single bed put together. The lady at the reception told us that there are only 6 rooms in the hotel that have proper double bed so everybody got the same. Maybe the hotel should buy some more double beds.

All in all, we would return to this hotel as it was the backdrop to a wonderful, relaxing holiday. Food was great, especially the cakes.

9 Thank Attila U
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Customer

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for your visit and for dedicating your time and effort to write this review.

It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed your stay among us and we are delighted that our service, facilities and attentive team of staff have contributed to your wonderful experience and that we have been able to satisfy your expectations.

We are very much looking forward to your next stay.

Kindest Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

For the last couple of years, we have spent October holidays in the Barcelo Satiago in Puerto de Santiago, Tenerife. There was no availability this year, so we settled reluctantly for the Playa la Arena. We knew it was a lovely hotel, but the Barcelo has always been fantastic and so we were sceptical. There is no doubt that both these hotels are lovely and provide very relaxing and comfortable settings for a stress-busting holiday. So, to compare these hotels, we would say: the Playa la Arena has much nicer bedrooms, marginally better food and a quieter "grown-up pool" free from splashing children and inflatables. In the evenings, the Barcelo has a much nicer post-dinner drinks area around the pool bar, with waiter service, whereas the Playa la Arena has a pleasant piano bar which has a random outside area with no waiter service and very long queues at the bar - a bit like a 4-star Butlins. Having said that, the "all-inclusive deal" at the Playa de Arena is probably better, overall, in terms of the availability of food and drink. But nothing can beat the views from the Barcelo. So where will we go next year? Barcelo or Playa la Arena? By a cat's whisker only, it has to be the Playa la Arena. We had a superb holiday. The staff were very good we had no complaints.

Room Tip: Book a premier room. You get a better all-inclusive deal.
5 Thank McAlpines
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay in our Be Live Playa La Arena. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our services and facilities.

Our excellent team of staff is very committed and dedicated to their work to ensure our guests will experience a carefree and wonderful stay in our hotel. Their tremendous effort is one of the key aFeedback of our guests is a very important aspect to us to be able to keep improving our services and to ensure our guests will experience a unique stay in our hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at our Be Live Playa la Arena

Kindest Regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel between 15th-22 October.
We arrived at the airport tired and had to find our 'shuttle' to the hotel when we located it, well it's interesting as I would call it a coach. We sat on it for about an hour before we even left the airport then it took a further hour and 40mins to get to the hotel, (thought a shuttle is a quick mode of transport and we later found out that a taxi only takes 1hr). We booked the transport through travel republic and I would not recommended to anyone to use this, sort your own out. Also think travel republic should state its a coach and takes 1hr40 to get to your hotel and you may have to wait for more later flights before you leave the airport.
When we finally got to our hotel it was around 10.30pm and we hadn't eaten. We then asked the reception staff about evening meals and they said that we could go into the restaurant as it was open till 2300hrs, well turned out it wasn't and all we were able to have was the salad( that was still out from the evening meal and no signs of it being covered or taken away and replaced with fresh).
When myself and husband got to our room after a few drinks, very tired from travelling we just wanted to sleep. The room needed a lot of tlc, it looked very tired, broken shower screen, marks on the wall, and the biggest cockroach I have ever seen in a room (on the 5th floor).
We finally settled down, unfortunately where our room was situated it was very noisey as people sitting outside chatting till half 2 (caused by midnight closure of bar and lights out at the same time forcing people outside) also being near the grand foyay hearing people coming back early hours of the morning, children running and shouting, safe to say I didn't sleep and was surprised that people were not asked to be quiet by night time reception staff or the security man.
The following day we went to reception and asked to be moved however had to go back later to speak to a reservation manager, which we did, explaining again, the lady was obviously not happy with us asking and we were told that anything wrong with the next room we can't be moved again so we asked to look at the second room. When we looked at it all seemed ok, shower screen in that room again broken, marks on walls but was quieter.
The following day while we were getting sorted my husband noticed we had ants that were coming out of a plug socket, going round the bed stead, around the wardrobe and behind the mirror, so he pointed out to 2 cleaners who didn't do anything so we mentioned it to reception who were going to send their top cleaner in, well this didn't happen so we went to reception for the 4th time and said we were not happy, next thing the assistant manager came out, she started to chat to the gentleman then spoke to us.
She was getting the cleaner there to spray them and getting someone in the following day to fumigate. (Apparently they are a problem in this hotel and are caused by a tourist bringing them in 10yrs ago, her words). My reply was that I understand that everywhere has bugs however we are not happy to have them in the room.
The maid separated our room and we requested to keep the can, just incase. Well I wouldn't say our room got fumigated more like some ant gel put down.
After this the room was ok.
Food within the hotel, well it wasn't great, edible to a degree.
The theme nights are not what you expect, English night was roast beef, Yorkshire pudding which yeh nice but other food on offer was completely random and nothing to do with British food, the same with other themed nights, one dish from that country . I think they should forget about the theme nights and put more into other food on offer.
The package we had , our understanding was all inclusive, premier drinks, ie, top brands however, that wasn't the case. So DONT go premier drinks package.
With regard to entertainment not the best, the best night was the Beatles tribute.
There seems to be a children's camp but not sure if it's open to all.
There was only French entertainers who at times were rude, only talking to people who were French so I'm taking it they are just for French tourists , so if you are French you'll be ok.(however everyone had to endure the French entertainers entertainment evening which was a joke ).
I think it would be an idea for the hotel to close for a few weeks, re furnish the rooms, other areas of the hotel (the entrance into the hotel is lovely the rest lets it down) fumigate the whole hotel properly. Sort the food and entertainment and packages they offer and then it would be a 4star +, think it needs re grading. Get a taxi and a great room and enjoy the OK food and you may have a great holiday. Travel Republic should have made it clearer about the Be Live playa la Arena.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Nicola N
Dear Guest,

Thank you for let us know your vision about our hotel, the opinion of our guest is always the best way to improve our services and facilities.

Wholeheartedly appreciate your words, because with them we learn every day, especially when they are critical of our work, so we would like to apologize for “any “situation under our standards, and we hope you would give us another chance in your next visit to Tenerife.

Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Anyone who has read my reviews (I dont tend to review all hotels - only the best and the worst) will know this is a genuine view of the hotel.
I booked this hotel on the recommendation of relatives who have stayed here before.
I requested a top floor room (we had booked all-inclusive premier package and told requests would be honoured) and on arrival was given one, one up from reception. I asked for a top floor room and was told the hotel was fully booked (don't be fooled by this statement). We went to our room and the smell hit us straight away. We opened the wardrobe and found the smell was coming from their. Went down to reception and requested another room (also found out that everyone else who got off bus with us all had rooms on higher floors than us) - was told again that this was impossible that the hotel was full - come back tomorrow. After keeping clothes in suitcase overnight I discovered next morning that smell was coming from 2 mouldy blankets at back of wardrobe - I immediately threw them out and poined this out to a maid cleaning another room. She came along to smell them and was nearly sick. Again traipsed down to reception and complained (no rooms available) and was told that they would be up to spray the place. Meantime my nephew who had complained about their room was given another room immediately.
Eventually smell disappeared later in day and decided to make the most of our holiday.
Day2 - wanted change of towels - left them in pile in bath (as requested by hotel) only to find in afternoon that the maid simply took wet towels and folded them up and placed on towel rack above bath as if they were fresh towels. Took towels down to reception and demended frsh towels - this was promised to be done (right!!!). Also mentioned that TV was not working.
Meantime, nephew's new room was discoved to be crawling with ants (so were many others as we found out during the rest of our stay. Also, everywhere is covered in small tiny white mites crawling in rooms/dining area/terrace and bar areas - I took my camera out of bag only to discover half a dozen of them crawling over the camera lens. Nephew's room was fumigated and they stayed there for rest of holiday.
Later that evening, went up to have a shower - no bath towels yet. They do not answer phone when you ring down to them so I had to go to reception again to ask for towels. - Oh, they will be with you in 10mins (lied the receptionist - I also found them to be condescending and unhelpful as well as seasoned liars). Also told them TV was still not working - "oh I'll send engineer right away" (he lied). 30mins later, still no towels - by this time it was going on till 8pm and I had to go to reception yet again. "Oh, they are just being washed, we have to collect the towels in the morning and it takes all day to wash them" - what a load of mince!!! I refused to move till I got towels. After 5 mins I was told they had just been delivered to my room.
This happened on two further occasions that week.
Next morning - TV still not working and I asked to speak to the manager. The receptionist asked - is this about the TV (so he knew about it then) - no I said it is about several things. He is not available. I stated that I would then put my complaints on trip adviser - he said immediately - don't do that, the manager will be available this afternoon (still never seen him) and lo and behold, he got a TV engineer immediately and sain it wuld be fixed that morning.
Now to the food and drink. Don't take a premium drinks package - it's not worth it. You don't get all the premium brands - only some. The food is a mixed review - some meals were good and some poor. I have had better quality at other all inclusive hotels (including another Tenerife hotel) - I can't understand those reviews who state that the food is wonderful. If that suits them - then so be it. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I believe it has been better run in the past. The interiors are getting a bit past it and they need a replacement plan in operation. Now I knew that the bars shut at 12:00pm before I went there, but what I didn't account for was that they put ALL the lights off in the bar areas even though you can get a drink at last minute and within 5 mins you can be sitting in complete darkness trying to finish off your drinks - if you are sitting at the far side away from the reception are it is a Health & Safety concern. Considering that the hotel has a number of elderly infirm clients at the time of year we there there. Luckily we turned on the ligjhts from our phones to guide us to some lighted area (opposite reception desk).
On last day, after collecting a couple of drinks from the poolside area ( self-service) and took them back to our sunbeds, I noticed something floating in my drink. I poured it out and went to collect another. Put 2 ice cubes in and upon walking back noticed something black in one of the ice cubes ( a small insect). I went back to look into the ice bucked and discover several pieces of ice had insects encased in them. I brought this to the attention of a waitress who promptly took it away with not one word of an apology (probably a regular occurence). So, no more ice after this.
Finally, I had booked this holiday through Travel Republic who offered transport to and from the hotel. DONT take it - we spent 1 hour sitting on bus at airport, then 2 hours taking us on drop off tour of all the other hotel in Playas de America and Costa Adeje and others before we even started our journey to Los Gigantes. It was worse going back with no proper air conditioning and diesel fumes being pumped into the air flow. A rickity bus with a dodgy bus driver who kept crunching the gears. We were all sick after reaching the airport.
One final piece of information - the weather was tremendous and Tenerife is a lovely place - I have a number of times. Just don't go to this hotel and arrange your own transport to take you directly to your destination. There are plenty at the airport.

Room Tip: Get one as high as possible - not above the bar area and one preferrably without ants.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Tom284Glasgow
Dear Guest,

That you have not enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that we couldn´t meet your expectations is very unfortunate. We always try to pamper our guests with the best service to make their stay as comfortable as possible and we are very sorry that we couldn´t make our goal with you.

We will take in consideration all of your comments and we will try our very best to surprise you positively if you decide to honor us with a new visit.

Yours faithfully,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went there with my 2 boys, ages 12 and 10, from 13th to 20th October 2013. This hotel was perfect for our needs. There was so much for the boys to do, the pool area, including a flume, mini golf, football area, pool tables, computer games, evening entertainment. There were also kids clubs but my two were "too old" for them....... The room was great, just exactly what was required. The hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The restaurant catered for everyone, including my very fussy oldest son. Large variety of food available in both the restaurant and Snack Bar. I had a very relaxing week. Only gripe as previously stated by WillinaCarr, it was very French orientated, including the evening entertainment. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Customer

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at our Be Live Playa la Arena

Kind Regards,

Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

When we first arrived at this supposedly 4 star establishment we were given the worst room I have ever been offered in my life! It was filthy and stunk of smoke. We immediately rang reception who chose not to answer so we trooped back down there and asked for another room. The rude man claimed to be full and told us to wait until monday and he would send a cleaner it was Friday!!?? Suprisingly the hotel manager was 'unavailable' and the rude man was in charge! When we were about complain to our holiday company he offered us another room which was marginally better but a disabled room (still the worst room I have ever stayed in but then maybe we have been lucky??) Room had flock wallpaper which went out in the 80s with dust on parts of the wallpaper and dirty marks here and there as well as patched in ceiling and cracks. Yes there were holes in sheets and in towels as well. Being tired we just sort of got on with the room and accepted it for what it was!

The towel lottery was the next hurdle as one day we had one towel, another none, then no floor towel....ringing reception again took three phonecalls at one point to get a towel!

The pool area is fairly good as there is a large area with 'quieter' zones...however watch out for the white lounge night( for French only) as the staff then start upending and moving about tables and chairs and sunbeds while you try and relax.

Meals were hit and miss but in general not really on a 4 star level but we managed to eat something most meals. Salads are not in great supply and the meat/fish generally disappointing. Staff in restaurant work incredibly hard and manage to smile most of the time.

Looking at the hotel it needs bringing out of the eighties and a refurbishment is desperately needed including some new towels, sheets and please ditch the scratchy horrible blankets. Be Live should be promoting their brand and not looking like the faded Spring Hotels.

The location of this hotel is what made our holiday great as the beach at Playa la Arena is lovely, The walk past Puerto Santiago and onto Los Gigantes is one not too miss but not for anyone with mobility issues. Los Gigantes is breathtaking. there are a few good little pubs at Playa Arena and Los Gigantes has a lovely atmosphere too on an evening. We also went Dolphin/whale watching in one of the smaller boats and had a fantastic day out seeing two sets of dolphins and pilot whales. Added with the fantastic weather and some good nights out we did have a great time and we didnt let our experiences in the hotel spoil our holiday.

We would definately return to this area of the island but probably not to the Be Live unless it upped the aunty.

3 Thank Jenn H
Dir_Playa_La_Arena, Gerente at Be Live Experience Playa La Arena, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Customer,

We always try to pamper our guests with the best service to make their stay as comfortable as possible and we are very sorry that we couldn´t make our goal with you . It would have been a pleasure to remedy any shortcomings you might have encountered, when being informed regarding your discomfort we would be able to correct any situation which is not according to our demanding quality standards and undertake an extensive follow up of the matter.

We will take in consideration all your comments to learn how we can still improve so we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a not too distant future and surprise you positively by achieving your complete satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
#1 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,957 reviews

Been to Be Live Experience Playa La Arena? Share your experiences!