“Excellant Hotel”

Be Live Experience Playa La Arena
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Have just returned form an 8 day visit to hotel with 2 friends. We had an excellent stay. The hotel is spotless. the choice of food was amazing. Sometimes difficult to make choice because too much choice!!! Staff friendly and very helpful. The 'animation' team kept us entertained all day. I admit it is maybe not for young children as the pool is quite deep but a lifeguard is at hand!!! The only problem we had was to come home and wish we could have stayed longer!!!!

Room Tip: Our room was fine no problems.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JoysleofWight

Hotel.
Lovely hotel but a bit worn the reception area is grand,rooms spacey go for a high floor pool view if possible. Hotel has lots of steps and can be difficult to get around with pushchairs and wheelchairs.

Rooms
Spacious but in need of repair (we had drains cleaned as bathroom leaked whenever you had a bath or shower electrical socket came out of wall when unplugged wall mounted bedside lamp hanging off shower door hanging off) some of the rooms are in an almost derelict part of the hotel and if you are there in the winter never get any sun and can be cold at night. TV had a good variation of channels which is useful if you get hit by the tummy bug

Staff.
Most of the reception staff were just rude and disrespectful no matter how friendly I tried to be with them.I actually had a 5 euro deposit thrown at me. Every question was met with an excuse or lie, different staff gave different answers no eye contact or smiles in fact it was difficult to be acknowledged at times. None of the receptionists seemed happy with their lot.

I found most of the waiters and waitresses in the canteen friendly and helpful despite obviously being overworked and under staffed they treat my 5 year old very well always welcoming and smiling.

Bar staff were ok a mixture of the waiters and waitresses

Life guards were friendly and helpful

I have never known so many people get ill with tummy bugs in a hotel before I was very careful about what I ate a lot of the food was cold. As i said before the canteen was understaffed and made me wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

Drink
The usual cheap all inclusive stuff. You can upgrade to limited branded spirits for 6 euros a day per person in the party but not much good for me as it would have been 18 Euros a day for 3 people one being 5 years old and my wife who dosent drink (depending which receptionist you were being patronized by at the time) The sangria in the canteen was good

Entertainment
Very french but don't let that put you off as they were very welcoming if you decided to participate. The animation team were great but need to stick to animation as mimed shows that repeat every week don't impress.

Mini golf was fun and free with a deposit although a bit worn, good kids play area

Summary
Nice hotel good location upgrade to a pool view before you travel, avoid the receptionists at all costs be careful what you eat and take some tummy medication as you will probably need it, visit the local bars for entertainment on animation nights.

Tip
Have a drink on the upstairs bar terrace at sunset

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are the best but cost extra
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Password2
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from a 9 night stay in this hotel. It was excellent as was the food. The only complaint we had was that the food in the pool snack bar was usually cold, but it was our choice to eat there on a lunch time and you could use the microwave to heat it up. The cleanliness of the hotel was second to none, every area was spotlessly clean. Our room was on the fifth floor with fantastic views of the sea. The dining room was very spacious and always a great choice of food. The staff throughout the hotel were lovely. We took a 10 minute bus ride to Los Gigantes and it was well worth the visit, lovely shops, bars and cafes. It was our Wedding Anniversary when we were over there and my family took us to a Chinese Restaurant just 5 minutes from the hotel and it was great! There are 3 pools one of which was heated, a great bonus for our grandsons as they were more in the water than out of it. The weather was fantastic, in the eighties most days. There was never a problem with sunbeds as there was plenty of them and the sunbathing areas were great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrianRosie
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visited this hotel for my birthday and the period was end of November. In this time is much more quite and relax, because it’s not of the “hot” days.
The hotels it’s self is one big garden inside with huge reception hall, tall 7 floors look like green “waterfall”, look like big garden. This is also only place with free internet, lobby bar and shop area.
We stay in 3 person room that was big with table with 4 chares, other help table and 2 twin person beds. Bath room is with bathtub and separate shower cabin, it’s average.
Balcony with table and towel drier.
The best was that the entry corridor and the bathroom was separate from the entry door with another door that make the noise from the corridor almost impossible.
Restaurant was good, with enough choice of food for all inclusive, every night we have a them of the night, and we try different cuisine from the world. They can do a bit more about food, because in Spain you can find a much better cuisine, but for the hotel with more then 500 persons out of the season was good, the service is in a average level.
Pools was 2 one warm, and one cold. In the area of cold one is the relax place that you can take sunbath and read book. In the area of warm is the children area. Have a thermometer of the air and the temperature of both that is very helpful personal for me. Good and fast service on pool bar and self service beer, water and cold drinks.
We play mini golf thaht was free, but mini golf is not in the best condition. Have a tennis court, fitness and animators that work with the groups all the time if you want to go on shooting, table tennis, etc.
Hotel is placed in area that have only one beach, small and with black sand, but clear and well organized. Nice experience is to go against the waves of Atlantic Ocean. Have a small street with shops and bars and restaurants, but the best is that you can make walk trip on the coast alley to the observing place that show you amazing view to Los Gigantes.
We visited also volcano Teide. If you like to see snow and the view from the “top” of the Atlantic ocean this is your place. Take a 2 hour trip and you are on the top of 3550 m to see around Canarias Islands.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GeorgeKolev
Reviewed January 13, 2013

just returned from a 10 day holiday to playa la arena hotel. this is our 5th visit to this hotel and our third since it was taken over by be live. as usual we could not fault the hotel, our room on the 8th floor had a fantastic view, the food was very good , a different theme every day, enough sun beds to go round, when we could'nt find a bed the staff brought more beds out for us.we found the staff more than friendly, especially the girl who cleaned our room, the bed was changed every other day. this hotel offered good value for money. we have travelled all over tenerife for the 20 years and this is the only hotel we have visited 5 times and we will be back again. We had friends with us who had not been to tenerife before and they loved the whole holiday and especially the hotel. may and bertie lemon

Room Tip: if possible take a room with a sea view, you will not be dissappointed
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank lemon074
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed for 3 weeks in this hotel. Everything about it was excellent except for the food , which was not warm enough, whilst the ice-cream was not cold enough! By being extra careful, such as eating from the carvery section , which was reasonably warm, managed to avoid the 'runs' until near the end of the holiday. Despite everything else being excellent, the food is a big negative and because of this we would avoid this hotel in future- after all when on holiday one wants to relax instead of constantly worrying about food poisoning because the hotel can't be bothered to keep the majority of their food at the correct temperature to kill germs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Playa La Arena 23/12/2012-02/01/2013. This was our 4th visit, the others being in the early noughties when the kids were young, and we came back for nostalgic reasons. Having read other reviews we thought it worth the risk......

Confession
I worked for MyTravel for 10 years as " a hotel inspector" and visited around 5,000 hotels. Admittedly, most were on business and they usually knew what I was doing when I stayed. It gave me the great benefit of picking places to take the family at Christmas, and whilst it could be said that in so doing they also knew what I did when we went on holiday, I don't believe we ever received treatment above that extended to other guests. Well...... Having left one review whilst I was working, I was "persuaded" it was not such a good idea, and so have not left any since. As I no longer work in the industry I thought "why not"! And so, in no particular order:

Staff
I've read many reviews of many hotels where guests have described the staff as "rude". Having then stayed in said hotels, and given the above comments on my background, I have never experienced this myself. Almost all staff at Playa la Arena were NOT rude. They are, without question, over-worked and probably under-paid. Some staff were still working there after 12 or more years (notably, Ramon, the superb omelette chef). Almost without exception they are professional and polite, but one chef at breakfast is possibly the rudest person I have ever had the misfortune to come across. For the purposes of customer relations he should either take a leaf out of Ramon's book or choose a job working in an abattoir!

Queues!
After a while I thought we were in Russia - wherever we went there was a queue! Breakfast, dinner, piano bar, "show" bar....... "Out" are the waiters taking orders for the bar. "In" are the all-inclusive lines of guests treading sticky floors carrying plastic cups because the glasses have run out.

All inclusive
It is, without doubt, the indicator that quality will reduce when a good hotel goes all-inclusive. There are good all-inclusive hotels but it really takes hard work. There really is no reason for quality to go down but it almost always does because the hotel's perception is that everyone will eat and drink to the point of collapse so they must make it as cheap as possible. Tut tut, what a shame, it doesn't have to be like that.

Main restaurant
Also called " the canteen". The table linen probably has not been renewed since we last stayed in 2003. Ditto plates. Oddly, the management do not appear to have twigged that a cup and saucer are a matching set and such implements also require the use, commonly, of a teaspoon. Clearly there is a gremlin which takes delight in hiding all of the teaspoons and saucers and then reverts to hiding the cups too. Glasses for juice at breakfast soon discover where the cups, saucers and teaspoons have been hiding and promptly join them. After an annoying absence someone spoils their party and drags them into full view, whereupon they are immediately devoured by guests, some probably taking 3 or 4 for good measure.

In all, nowhere near as good as it used to be. "Themes" are put on each week and recycled weekly. Whoever thought them up should travel a little. For example, "American Night" consisted the same spread as the night before, with something interesting taken off the menu and substituted with, wait for it - burgers! There was usually something decent to eat but I do agree with other reviews that the food got monotonous. The hotel also appears to have the firm belief that all-inclusive guests require their hot food as tepid as possible, probably so that it can be swallowed, whole, with the minimum of effort, in readiness for the next course. The pool bar used to cook fresh grilles, toasties and tapas during the day and was a very civilised meeting place. It now resembles a soup-kitchen but with the added treat of burgers, dogs (note, omission of the word "hot"), and the same daily pizza. There were plenty of chips and recycled salad from the night before. There was also gazpacho and a "hot" soup but in 10 days I didn't manage to discover which was which.

Drink
This is now an all-inclusive hotel so, unless you pay a £5 daily premium, you will get generic brands. Most people who have stayed at an all-inclusive will know this. In my view there were no issues with generic brands and I probably consumed my annual allowance of perfectly decent Cava over the 10 nights we were there. They have, however, a habit of serving beer in nasty beer mugs like we had in the 70s.

Entertainment
Good if you speak French, otherwise mildly humorous the first time around. The animation team work very hard but they are what they are. A few mimed shows they put on were fun the first time. This hotel used to have quality professional entertainers every night. The animation team should stick to their day job and the hotel should invest in the sort of quality acts other 4 star properties put on. Given that, in addition to our mother tongue, we speak French and Spanish in our family, we found it linguistically intriguing how the animation team would introduce something with a 5 minute diatribe in French, to be followed with a verbatim translation comprising "...and now for our show" !

Rooms
These are still in good order with the central sea views being excellent. Could not fault the two we had. But beware - there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms and the hotel no longer provides room service. When I enquired why I was told - "because we're all inclusive". I asked if I could have a kettle and was told it was not permitted because it was too dangerous. Here, again, the hotel has assumed that, unlike all other hotels in the world where kettles are provided, all-inclusive guests will be habitually horizontal and try to set fire to their kettles as a matter of course. I went out and bought one anyway! Note, the piano bar has a notice saying "Ask about our room service". I did. This is a simple procedure which involves being served a drink in a plastic cup which you can take to your room. Fair enough! The rooms also do not come with bathrobes despite the hotel's own website stating the opposite. I had to insist that since we'd booked direct with them I wanted what it said on the tin. I got the one I probably had last time in 2003.....

Pools
I don't like the involuntary exchange of bodily fluids with countless strangers so didn't go in. My girls did and had fun. All in all, no problems. There appear to be sufficient sun loungers, but there were always a few prime locations which had towels left on them whilst it was still dark! You get "free pool towels". I should think so, this wasn't a public swimming pool! However, you have to pay a deposit and can only change them on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This can become a little Pythonesque as you therefore have to timetable towel-change activities (a spreadsheet helps) so pay attention: swap your old towel with a new towel before the towel depository closes at 5:00pm on a "change" day. Note, if you miss this deadline or have a very sticky towel on a Saturday, you hand them back at the end of a non-"change" day and get tokens which you can then give back the next day even if it is a non-"change" day, for a fresh towel. Clear?

Summary
Value - probably OK if you haven't paid too much
Staff - generally good. Make sure you tip, it works wonders
Service - self service
Rooms - good, sea view very good
Food - edible
Drink - quite acceptable
Pools - good, quiet and noisy areas
Entertainment - ranges from humorous to mildly humorous
Quality - definitely no longer a 4 star

Room Tip: Sea view, upper floors
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Ex-Hotel-Inspector
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
#14 of 60 in Costa Adeje
Barcelo Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
#1 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago

Been to Be Live Experience Playa La Arena? Share your experiences!