“Second visit to the Holiday Village July-Aug 2012”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto de Santiago
Holiday Village Tenerife
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“Second visit to the Holiday Village July-Aug 2012”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was our second year at the HV, and this time we went for 2 weeks instead of the 1 week last year. I thoroughly enjoyed it last year, and gave a 5* review on here. This time however it is slightly different. The location, hotel, cleanliness, staff etc is still superb.
My groans from this visit are as follows:
Food was 9 times out of 10 near cold. I had to use the microwave loads of times to get a hot meal.
The entertainment clashed. What I mean is that last year, all the shows were in the main hall, and followed one another, so you could stay in there for 4 hours of solid very good entertainment. This year, there are 2 venues to watch the entertainment. The i5Live kids stage is outside, with its own shack style bar. The Luabay (Spanish) entertainment was in the main hall. Due to the close proximity of the 2 venues, it became difficult to hear individual shows. The i5Live stage in my opinion should have been placed up near the snack bar at the top of the complex, and not adjacent to the main building.
Kids were constantly playing football in a very busy area just outside the main hall. Waiters had to dodge them whilst carrying drinks, my wife whilst sat watching a show was hit full in the face by a ball, and i was hit on several occasions. Only upon speaking to one of the reps (Nicola) did anything get done, and the kids sent packing. Before any judgment on myself is made, I understand that this is a family resort, and there are kids. The issue I have, is that not 50 metres from where these kids were playing, is a floodlit 5 a side pitch. No need as far as I am concerned.
Sunbeds were being reserved at midnight (no, I am not joking. People were heading back to rooms after night time entertainment, and fetching towels in order to reserve sunbeds). This is a problem which has got worse since last year, even though there are signs everywhere saying no reserving beds, and obviously a large number of extra sunbeds as opposed to last year.
I was getting up at 0730hrs in order to get sunbeds in any position. By 0800hrs they were all gone.
The hotel was completely full when we went, British, Spanish, Russians, French, German and another few accents I could not recognise. It was all brits last year, and everything was in English. Spanish and German messages accross the tannoys got slightly annoying, as not every message was translated into English, so guess work was the way forward. These were generally to do with the Luabay Entertainment team, who as nice as they are, are about as unprofessional as you could imagine when it came to the kids song and dances during the day.
As other reviews state, the locals are allowed to enter the complex at the weekend. Twice in one day, a young local girl decided it would be amusing to defecate in the pool. The pools were immediately shut for 1 hour, the offending item removed, and the pool filtered. The previous reviews on here state that items were going missing when the locals came in. iPads, phones and towels were all stolen in the weekends we were there, so keep an eye on your belongings.
The excursions were good, not as comprehensive as last year, but good none the less. We went to Siam park which was superb, but the timings of the coach to and from the hotel meant that after getting through the entrance, finding lockers, getting changed and ready to explore, you only had 4 and a half hours there, which when busy is enough for about 4 or 5 rides. I wanted to get on the Tower of Power but there was a 90 minute wait. The Lazy river was far too busy, and felt like the M25 in rush hour. Too hot and far too busy. They need to limit the number of people they allow in at any one tim to ensure freedom of choice.
Around the pool, they obviously have a problem with either algae or worn out paving slabs, as several places which are constantly wet from either showers or the pool, were extremely slippery. Whether wearing shoes or going barefoot, I lost footing on several occasions. One of these areas is at the pool bar. Spilt drinks everywhere, and several First Aid cases in the 2 weeks we stayed.
This review makes the place sound awful, which it really isn't, but I tried to be as honest as possible. In summary, I will not be going back for a 3rd visit to the HV. The place is superb, but they need to decide which nationality takes priority. I can see First Choice moving out in the near future if the hotel management dont take action.
I hope this review gives you a good idea of the place, and that it is useful to you.
Thanks for reading, Matt

Room Tip: If you want to be in a fairly quiet location, and dont mind a 200m or so walk to the main building...
4 Thank Slat4090

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
West Bromwich
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Hi folks
Returned last week from two weeks in this hotel.
Firstly, one thing that has not come over to me on previous reviews is the size of the place – it is massive. Huge central hotel complex with rooms and pools out to the left and right. As our room overlooked the ‘quiet’ pool, we tended to base ourselves there – absolutely no problem with the beds, still many available all morning.

GOOD POINTS
Lots for our 8 year old daughter to do, with kids clubs and Razzmataz, and I-Five-Live was very good in the evening. The evening entertainment from the hotel got a bit repetitive during the second week.
If you go to Kids Club and it is full, you get a priority pass to make sure you get in the next – works quite well, I thought.
The food in the main buffet area was of a very high quality, with lots of variety. Plates cleared quickly and the waitresses always available to top up the drinks when you wanted them. Dodgy tummy count = zero. I particularly liked the ice cold Cava served with the breakfast on Sunday – makes lovely Bucks Fizz with the fresh orange juice served at the end of the food bar.
Our room was really nice – large with good aircon. Cockroach count = zero. Beds made and room tidied every day. Towels and sheets appeared to be at least every other day.
The spa – make a point to go and have a look.
Try the high wires, noting that you have to book 48 hours in advance.
The hotel operates a bus down to Siam Park and Los Cristianos every day for just 4 Euros per person (return). Excellent (cheap) way to get out of the hotel for a day and sample another resort.

THINGS FOR IMPROVEMENT
I defy anyone to get even slightly tiddly with drinks from hut at the I-Five Live stage area. Follow the crowds and nip down to the downstairs bar (the piano bar?) and get some proper drinks. Also, I could not help noticing that there is nowhere for the staff in the hut to wash their hands, spotted when the old lady who serves there sneezed into her hand and wiped it on her apron – nice.
In I-Five Live, please lose the bingo. The prizes are a bottle of cava (which you can get from most of the bars) and a pass into the spa (we were given a complimentary pass by the hotel) – waste of 15-20 mins.
All day snack bar – need to vary the menu a bit more, however, the pizza is excellent and all the food is hot and fresh (just the same every day).

All the staff, both from the hotel and First Choice, make a considerable effort to make sure you have a good time. Already booked to go back next year – cannot wait.

Room Tip: Any in C Block near quiet pool or H Block for activity pool.
2 Thank Baggy_Boy_II
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Was a bit dubious about booking an all inclusive in Tenerife as had done this a few years ago and was so dissapointed but this was a totally different experience.
We totally loved the Holiday Village. Having been to several of the HV's before we knew what to expect.

On arrival we were given a bottle of champagne with a card saying 'happy anniversay' which we thought was a nice touch. Campagne was nice too. The rooms were better than I was expecting the only downside were the ants. This was resolved by a quick call to reception where the ants were sprayed and the can of spray left incase we needed it again.

On our first morning there, there were no sun beds at all. We spent the whole day sitting on chairs by the entertainment pool. This didn't bother us too much as it gave us chance to walk around and get our bearings.
Over the next few days there were lots of complaints about the lack of beds, we even heard stories that people were losing their beds when they went to put the kids into the creche. This was the Spanish guests that were causing the problems. From October to April the hotel caters to the Spanish then the rest of the time it belongs to First Choice. There was a delivery of knew loungers which meant that there were plenty for everyone, which stopped the 7 o'clock trip down to the pool for my husband. Not enough parasols though so try a t-shirt round it to stop others taking yours.

The restaurants were great. Think that if you can't find anything to eat in here then you must be really fussy. Table service for your drinks with bottles of wine provided.
Didn't really like the snack bar, but if you fancy a little bite to eat then head there.

Went to Los Cristianos to the market but made our own way there, half the price of the FC trip, 2 adults and 2 kids came to €15 and we weren't restricted to 3 hours.
Done the Loro Parque and the Siam Park trips, both are great but next time I think that we will make our own way to Siam Park as the local bus runs close by.

The entertainment was a bit hit or miss. In the entertainment room inside it is just too hot plus I wasn't keen on hearing the same thing repeated in 3 different languages. However, there is no doubt that both the Luabay and the FC entertainers work for their money and put in long shifts.
Both of our kids loved the kids club. For the whole two weeks we dropped them off at 9pm and collected them at 11pm, this hasn't happened before and they were sad to go. Great work by the kids entertainers, I felt that they took the time to learn the kids names, either that or mine were there too much, either way, they asked to go each evening.

My only complaint was that the pool side could have been cleaned better, simply running a hose over the spilt drinks isn't enough.

All in all we loved this HV and my kids are asking when we can go back.

3 Thank EdinburghLove2travel
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We arrived early afternoon to a very warm and friendly reception. Our room block F was ready and wow ... I entered and first thought it was a bit small then noticed some stairs and we was on two floors with two bathrooms with brilliant views of the sea.

We had no problem getting a sunbed, after breakfast we normally arrived around the noisy pool.

Hats off to First Choice team your staff is amazing loved Lucy, Sophie, Donna, Alan, Matty and of course Russel the Brussel not only did they keep my 10 year old entertained in the evenings but I found us adults was just as excited.

Kids clubs, well organised and a vast range of activities.

There wasn't much outside the hotel but the quaint beach and few shops and bars was enough for us with all that was going on in the HV. We did venture out to Las Americas and Los Christianos and we enjoyed it there. We did the Muscat trip and it was brilliant amazing to see Dolphins and Whales in their own habitat.

I must say I did not enjoy the food but I do admit to being the most fussy person on earth along with my 10 year old so we did eat out and about a few times. My only concern was the snack bar, if this was in England it would be shut down due to health and safety laws. Flys everywhere and food not covered, pigeons swarmed the place this was definitely a no no.

On a whole the Holiday Village is spot on, very friendly and clean and tidy grounds. It was the First Choice team who made it for me!!!!

Room Tip: Block F is in the middle near quiet pool and not far from noisy one but is also near dining area
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here as a family of 4 two weeks Hotel of good standard our rooms well kept (same lovely lady each day) Beds not too comfy mattress bumpy but only room -ve comment. We were in g block - great location

Food - a lovely selection for adults and children. Ofcourse can get repetitive but would expect this. We had no complaints.

Resort - large hotel with selection of pools for all (few closures due to poo incidents but this happens at any pool) dealt with professionally

Sunbeds - too much -ve comments been made here. Never in 2 weeks did we have a problem getting Sunbeds and we went along 830. Those stating 4am-5am. Unsure about this?? Tip tie Tshirt round ur parasol in morning stop getting moved and always take flip flops floors get hot!

Entertainment -
Kids club team (special mention to Katy (new girl but AMAZING) , Adam, Connor, Samii, Colette, will, charlotte, Nicola on reception desk, carrie , Ben, Susan, tamsyn ,Nicole, kam, Charlotte
These guys deserve a medal as they work long days and give 100% ...they make the kids feel so special.
I took time to note down their names as feel they deserve special mention
Thank you all v much u made my girls holiday x
Entertainment team - Donna, Lucy, Sophie, Andrew, Alan. Again cannot fault these lovely people. Talented not simply 'carbaret' they can sing , dance and entertain. Personally feel they should have biggest stage as far better that Spanish team (although nice) but then again gets hot inside
Again thank you guys

Area - downside is hilly area and nothing much there. Run down. Better going to towns slightly further afield in taxi

Siam park - loved it !

Overall a fantastic holiday had by us. Reckon Rhodes for us next year. Impressed with holiday village standards

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Facepaint1
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just got back from a 2 week stay with my partner and 2 kids. im not going to draw it out with this review, just tell you the facts as i found them....

we arrived and checked in and were told we had to wait an hour as our room wasnt ready, we went for lunch and returned an hour later and were told room still wasnt ready, after another hours wait it was finally ready, when we got into the room i couldnt undrestand the dalay as the place was FILTHY!! the floor had somone elses hair all over it and had not been swept or mopped for days. After looking closely, we could see ANTS all over the table, desk floor, underneath the cot..... i was disgusted, called reception, spmeone came and cleaned the floor and sprayed the ants with bug killer.i couldnt believe it. This is ment to be a 4 star hotel!! our floor was cleaned twice in the 2 weeks, and this was because i happened to be in the room on both occasions, i complained again and nothing happened apart from a stern looking spanish woman with a clip coard stuck her head the room and left again. also the tatty ripped and stained bedclothes were disgusting. the bathroom smelt awful and the balconys were so fithy we didnt use them. my child is crawling and i didnt allow him on the floor in that room for the whole 2 weeks.

the hotel Has fab views, We stayed by the quiet pool for the 2 weeks, as water polo and naff music on repeat isnt really our thing. the quiet pool was lovely and we never had a problem finding sunbeds and shade for the little one. HOWEVER... The snack ber located next to the quiet pool should be shut down, the food is left out with no covers, flys all over it, if that was anenglish takeaway they would be shut down. it was disgusting.... what made it even worse is the staff just swat the swarm of flys away and empty more chips into the tray!! we didnt bother with the specialitys so cannot comment.

Personally i found the food ok in the main buffet (no flys here), nothing to shout about, but i always found someting to eat. my partner however really struggled, we ate out most nights, i think if you expect to be eating a nice meal every evening you will be dissapointed.

the firstchoice entertainment was the usual rubbish, i think they should seriously rethink their programme. the Luabay was not much better.

My son used the kids club once and didnt want to go back.

Overall we did have a nice holiday as we went out most days, if i was stuck in the hotel for 2 weeks i would have gone mad. This place has good facilitys but the hygene needs to be addressed. It does not deserve 4* rating!

I am quite dissapointed as our holiday advisors raved about how good the holiday village was, and it was nothing like i was lead to believe, However after speaking to the rep we were told this is the only holiday village that share with a hotel chain (Luabay). the rest are fully first choice. i Assume this is why standards are so low as everyother first choice holidays i have had have been amazing (and spotlessly clean).

I would return to Tenerife in a heartbeat, but not this hotel.

Room Tip: our room was in c block. overlooking quiet pool, great location but FILTHY
3 Thank loveholidays2011
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have just returned from 2 weeks at HV Tenerife. Travelled with my Wife and 2 children aged 7 and 6. We read a few reviews before we left some of which were terrible!!! Please take no notice of these people As I have no idea where they get some of the things that they had said from!!!
We had a fantastic 2 weeks, the kids clubs and activities for them are excellent and if they are happy so r u!! The swimming pools and surrounding areas are all very clean and tidy as is the whole complex. The food is of a good standard and there is so much choice u won't know where to start,we had no problems with queuing for our food at any time ,yes it is busy as you would expect at this time of the year but the staff work very hard serving drinks and clearing tables very quickly. The only thing I would say about the food is I personally would have liked it a bit hotter,but when you are catering for about 1500 people what do you expect. The hotel staff are really friendly and helpfull,as are the First Chioce Reps. The 2 teams of entertainment staff IE-the hotel staff and the first choice staff all work well together unlike other reviews have said i saw no sign of any problems between them. The kids clubs are excellent and the ones that our girls went to they really enjoyed. The rooms are cleaned daily and are very spacious and.with 2 tv's and a mini bar you carn't go to far wrong!! As other people have mentioned Sunbed saving is a problem,but let's face it you get that wear ever you go these days,there are plenty about but if you want 1 in the front row near the pool get up there by about 7am if you are not to bothered then you will still find them available later on. This was our first visit 2 a HV and it for shaw won't be our last,we would have no problem in retuning to Tenerife or any other HV that First Choice have.

Room Tip: We stayed in block O whichhad a nice sea view and was nice and quiet and only a lift ride away from...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#2 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Globales Tamaimo Tropical
Globales Tamaimo Tropical
#8 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & ...
#1 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona

Been to Holiday Village Tenerife? Share your experiences!