“Chaos in Restaurant”

Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We have just returned from a week at this hotel. We didn't expect it to be as big as it is and so chaotic in the restaurant. We had a really nice suite overlooking one of the pools and with a sea view so that was a good point. However the restaurant was very crowded with lots of children running around. There was lots of food on offer but not very nicely presented and all of it seemed lukewarm. We ended up going out two of the evenings we were there so we had some decent food!Also two evenings we dined in the speciality restaurants (joke - it was in the main lunch time restaurant) We chose the Grill and Mexican, again lots of food but not very well presented and not a lot of choice. However this was waiter service - an added bonus I suppose!
Most evenings after dinner we spent in the main bar where there was always music and a bit of dancing which we enjoyed (probably the best bit of the holiday). There were shows in the Music Hall but the majority weren't up to much so we went back into the bar.
We hadn't realised before we went that this hotel is also called a Holiday Village and that it would be so crowded, goodness what it will be like in the main season!
We definitely will not be going back to this hotel, next time we will choose somewhere that is definitely 4 * not somewhere pretending to be.

Room Tip: K block (next to the main building) is good - overlooks the main pool & sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David_b_neon
Administradors, Luabay Team at Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear David, thank you very much for being our guests and taking the time to write this review about your stay. We are very glad to know that you were satisfied with your suite and enjoyed the view. Your feedback is very important for us as it helps us spot weaknesses that can be improved. We will therefore pass your comments about the restaurant and presentation and choice of food as well as about the evening entertainment to the corresponding departments to look into them and see which opportunities we have. It would be a great pleasure for us if we could welcome you to our hotel again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel did not live up to expectations.Poor entertainment in the evening. Food could be warmer at night, didn't matter if you went early or not, still the same. Very quick check in though and staff on reception were very friendly.Bar service was poor especially having to form an orderly que and then for some prize idiot to walk in and straight to the bar and get served. Pity as this could be a good hotel with a few tweaks.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank beryl051

Dear Bery, thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and are glad that our staff made up for it. Your feedback is very much appreciated, we will be sure to forward your comments about the evening entertainment, the temperature of the food and the bar service to the corresponding departments. It would be a great pleasure if we could welcome you to our hotel again and show you that improvements take place regularly.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We went to the Luabay Los Gigantis on an all-inclusive deal and in the main it is quite good but I have to admit a few things got on my nerves - like:: queuing for almost everything - reception, restaurants in the evening and the bars in the evening. I called reception from my room a couple of times and nobody picked up at the other end. Also, if you wanted to eat at the specialty restaurant you had to book it at a desk in the main reception which meant queuing again and I couldn't quite figure why I couldn't book on the phone - apart from no-body would pick up at the other end. And I also got a bit sick of being told by the bar staff what the all-inclusive didn't cover to a point where I wondered if it would have been more cost effective to go half-board.
Having said all the above I couldn't fault the accommodation and the resort itself is very, very good and the staff helpful and friendly and the place is ideal for families. The evening food ranged from OK to very good, the breakfasts were very good and the lunchtime food also very good.
I cannot say that I would go back but that is more to do with Tenerife than the Luabay. This was the first time I had been there in 25 years and how the place has changed and, in my opinion, not for the better. I'll stick with Grand Canaria and Minorca

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pancho308
Administradors, Luabay Team at Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for choosing Luabay and sharing your experience. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and were very satisfied with your room, the friendliness of our staff and the food we offer in our buffet restaurant. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we will pass your comments about the queuing and information about the all-inclusive to the corresponding departments within our hotel. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you to our hotel again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Well, my family and I have just returned from this hotel (we stayed UK half term week - Tues 29 Oct to Tues 05 November 2013). I write this review as honestly as I can, pointing out negatives and positives, but trying to convey my true feelings about how I felt and indeed what I would like to read if I were thinking of booking here. I went on holiday with my wife and 2 children aged 6 and 11.

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel. Instead of booking this through First Choice (this is one of their flagship "Holiday Villages", we booked our flights and hotel direct with Easyjet and Luabay. We managed to save nearly £1,000 by doing this - something well worth remembering for anyone thinking of going here during First Choice's Holiday Village season!

When we stayed before, we had a lovely room in 'C' block over-looking the quiet pool. Therefore, we requested, via email, that we stay in a similar room in C block. I wrote 5 x emails to the hotel - only 1 got answered - saying that they would "try" and accomodate this request. When we arrived, they had seemingly ignored this request (as I say emailed 5 x in 6 months since booking!!) and allocated us a room in "H" block. I have to say though, whilst the view wasn't quite as "pretty" it was much quieter and still had a decent sea view. Just a pity about the seemingly permanent crane that spoils the sky-line!

The room or I should say apartment, is very clean and quite large. We travelled with two children, so the main room (where there would usually be a sofa) was turned into a sofabed. The bathroom was large and clean and the main bedroom was clean and spacious. Be warned though - they don't go in for double beds - just two singles pushed together - which are on wheels and move about quite easily! A bit annoying!

The hotel literature says that "reserving sunbeds is prohibited" but everyone still does it, so wasn't sure why this is tolerated if it's "against the rules"? Anyhow, you end up doing much the same, but it wasn't really that much of an issue as the hotel wasn't as busy as I had first thought.... The quite "Trebol" pool is much nicer than the larger, louder pool (in my opinion anyway)....The quiet pool now has new (ish) sun loungers whereas the ones at the large pool are still the older style which show wear and tear and look dirty to me! The snack bar by the quiet pool does a good array of chips, burgers, hotdogs, salads, ice cream, fruit and drinks etc... There is also a barbeque now which happens everyday between 1 and 3.30pm. Watch out though for the flies around the main servery area - I spotted quite a few settling on the burger rolls....

The buffet is huge - and quite noisy. Whilst at first it seems a novelty, for me, after a couple of days, this novelty wore off and I found myself getting fed up of wandering round, trying to spot a gap to grab food. The food was often cold by the time I got back to the table - however there was quite a variety of food on offer - as well as desserts. Thing is, for me, I did tire of this easily - I just longed for food to be brought to you in a quiet environment! There was nothing particularly to dislike about the array of food but because of the reasons above, I don't miss this element of the holiday now I am home!

The entertainment is well.....dire at best really. The kids disco didn't often start (at weekends) until 9pm. Then there would often be things like "Exotic Parrot Show" or "The Snake Show" or "The Eagle Show". I never saw a real "disco" atmosphere at all and would have loved for some more adult entertainment or a live band or something. The only decent thing we saw was a Magic Show (same one we saw 2 years ago, but still good) and a Music Quiz which was quite fun.... other than this, I longed for more music or better entertainment. This element was the same as 2 years ago when we last went, so it's obviously "just the way it is" - but I feel it's worth mentioning.

Generally the hotel though is very impressive - and spotlessly clean. The staff obviously work very hard to do this and it shows. Can't fault it on this aspect.

It's ideal for kids (even the hotel kids club wasn't bad - my 6 year old really enjoyed it) and was free.

There is a very good hotel deal on a bus that goes to Siam Park - 4 Euro's each return - which is very good indeed, as Siam Park, which we visited, is some way away from the hotel.

If I had to pick fault I would re-iterate the following:

Beds - on wheels and move about easily and are not double beds (but quite comfy though)
No where to seemingly get anything to eat after 9.30pm when the restaurant closes.
In room safe you now have to pay for (we didn't 2 years ago) and is not advertised very well - so don't do what we did and spend ages trying to get it to work until we rang reception who said we had to pay!!!)
Entertainment is not very good at all (although fine for kids, if a little late on in the evening sometimes)
Buffet gets very, very busy (don't go at 8pm-ish otherwise you'll queue to get in) and very noisy

However, having said all that, I would say the positives outweigh the negatives:
All Inclusive deal gives access until midnight on drinks (wide local variety on offer, all good)
Spotlessly clean everywhere
Kids club good
Barbeque everyday at quiet pool very good
Pools clean/lifequard on duty
New-ish sunbeds at quiet pool
Spa ticket given for 2 people free entry upon arrival (although must be used within the first couple of days - but well worth a visit if you can)
Quiet resort/no bad behaviour witnessed
Looks very impressive - well worth it's 4 Stars
Weather was brilliant for November - very hot - felt no different to when we went in June before!

So, there you have it....would we go back a 3rd time? Absolutely. As I say, a few minor gripes which I do feel are worth pointing out, as I wanted to make this review as honest as possible.

Hope it helps some of you if you've booked to go/thinking about going....

Room Tip: "H" Block is quiet and decent sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
17  Thank PaulMC13

Dear Paul, thank you very much for returning to our hotel and taking the time to write this detailed report about your stay. We are very glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay just as much as last time and were satisfied with the cleanliness, our staff and the room you were allocated. It is also nice to see that you were happy with the changes like the barbecue and the new sunbeds. Your feedback about what could be improved is also very much appreciated and we will be sure to forward your comments about the entertainment, the buffet being busy and the beds in your room to the corresponding departments so they can look into them in more detail and see which changes are possible for the future. We are glad you had a great time and enjoyed your family holiday. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you to our hotel again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was the second holiday village we have stayed at, the first was in Majorca. Overall this one was the better of the two.
We stayed in K block which over looked the main pool and had sea views. We were fortunate to be on the middle of the three floors which benefits two French sliding doors. I would stress that this is important as the balcony over looking the pool and sea is in the lounge area where the sofa bed is the kids slept on. This meant late at night we couldn't use this balcony but we had another area off the main bedroom. We tried to swap for another room but this only had one balcony which again was off the lounge/kids sleeping area.
The Spanish bacon and sausages are a bit ropey so don't expect a full English. You do get 4 visits to the Al a carte restaurant offering Italian, Mexican and Grill nights on different days.
The First Choice entertainment daytime for the kids and night-time was fantastic, all the reps did themselves proud.
In all great value holiday, especially if you can grab a free kids place!

Room Tip: In Block K I would choose a middle or 2nd floor room as it has two outdoor areas.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank westyuk
Administradors, Luabay Team at Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are very glad to know that you and your family had a great time and enjoyed your holidays together. Your feedback will be shared with our staff and we are hoping to welcome you as our guests again soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was our first Holiday Village & All Inclusive Experience and this Hotel was recommended to us.We certainly wasn't disappointed. It's approx 45 minutes transfer from the Airport (depending on other drops). When we were checking in the staff were very helpful and could speak good English (which is good really, as most of us, myself included are lazy when languages are concerned). We stayed in J block (J317) which was a few minutes walk from the main building and near the main pool. The Room was adequate, the boys had the bedroom (two singles) and we had the sofa bed (not the most comfortable, but not many are), it also had the usual amenities, TV, Mini bar etc. I did purchase Wifi from the hotel, although they said it only worked in the main building, it did work, most of the time (on one device), in our room and around the main pool as well. We spent most of our time around the main pool which had lots of entertainment for the kids, both from First Choice and the Luabay teams. Including First Choice Run kids clubs (which our boys went to several times). Our boys attended the First Choice Swim Academy which was brilliant and thoroughly recommended. There was also Water Polo daily for the adults. There was two other pools, the kids pool, which had the water slide and the quiet pool, where the Snack Bar was located. The main restaurant served a good variety of food for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner which changed daily. Evening entertainment wise, it was split between the First Choice and Luabay teams, we spent most of our time with the I5 Live shows as our boys (4 & 5) loved them. Location wise, we were a 10 minute walk to the nearest beach at Playa De Arena or €3 in a taxi.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Justin D
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Plenty todo for kids
45 mins at least from airport in a hilly resort
Went in school October week so a few kids around
Our two loved it.our oldest went to football academy he is 9, we didn't put our 20month old into the crèche but that was coz he went for a 2 hr sleep every day in his room personal choice
The child care team were lovely girls tho but we didn't feel we wanted our toddler in a crèche that we paid for when he was perfectly fine with us going for walks and in the pool etc
Food was ok could have done with better variety
Our ten year old loved the high ropes too
Evening entertainment was ok could have been better quality some nights.hotel run entertainment seemed more professional
That said definitely a place for the kids who are really safe and can wander about the bar areas with parents watching them all on one level
Would go back in future years but would like to try another hv in another country eg Ibiza Tunisia or turkey

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
El Marques Palace by Intercorp Hotel Group
El Marques Palace by Intercorp H...
#6 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
#16 of 59 in Costa Adeje
Barcelo Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
#1 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago

Been to Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes? Share your experiences!