“A lifelong dream come true”

Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Kabale
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I feel so privileged to have had this experience! It really was a dream come true. I organised the trip myself, saving quite a bit as could not really afford to book with a company. I flew into Entebbe, stayed one night and then got a taxi to Kampala and a public bus to Kabale. From there I went to Bunyoni Overland Resort, which was wonderful. Ian from Bunyoni organised my permit and transport to Bwindi. It was a tough day and the walking was hot and tiring, but the overall experience was beyond my expectations. I then took the Post bus back to Kampala (which was far better than the bus I took there!). In Bwindi I was lucky to have a wonderful lady guide who was calm, positive and informative. It was an incredible experience and will remain close to my heart forever, as will the feeling of desperate helplessness that goes with the realisation that the beautiful family I visited with for an hour are one of 8 families surviving in a mere 330 square km area

3  Thank Karen N
"taking pictures"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Was it worth it??

It was the toughest hike of my life. Do not underestimate this. By the time we found the gorillas ... They had done a runner! I was ready to thump one of them. The hour went very quickly as it took some time to settle the adrenalin after such an arduous walk across the vine strewn hilly rainforest. It then was hard to really put into context what you were seeing.

I am reasonable fit 40 year old and the walk was tough. The porters are a godsend and having spent a month in the region I know how I know how important the income is to them.

I'm glad I went gorilla tracking but I won't go again. It was not a lifetime achievement for me and my advice is to certainly consider the value of the money to you before spending it on this lifetime experience. For me it is better to consider it as a necessary contribution to the conservation of a magnificent natural forest and the gorillas themselves.

2  Thank Holly L
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I went gorilla tracking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in early June with Cheetah Safaris Uganda Ltd. Do take a look at my review of the safari company we used.
The safari was a success and we had an amazing time, memorable, and a once in a lifetime experience seeing a family of 16 gorillas with 4 silverback gorillas.

There was a baby and a grandfather; previous alpha in the family. Our guides were very good; we literally found the gorillas after a 15 minute hike, making our day less stressful. The hike of course was strenuous, but very fulfilling.

If you plan a gorilla tracking adventure, I highly recommend using our guide and safari company because he gave us such personal attention and the cost of the safaris on full board was affordable. Our guide's name was Robert, from Cheetah Safaris Uganda Ltd. Contact phone: +256-772-413766

3  Thank Africancrab
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Bwindi is too thick and cold and one needs to visit the park with enough clothing especially at night to coop up with the coldness in the area